Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Icey roads on 540 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Icey roads on 540 Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Icey roads on 540 Live Reply with quote

Hi
Turned my 540 on this morning to be greeted by a warning triangle in the top left hand corner I assume warning me of icey road conditions (symbol was a car with skid marks lines in background). I was impressed by this and kept noticing it on my journey until I went further south where the frost hadn't bitten so hard and it went away. It kept my mind on the fact it was icey even though it was self evident.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "area warning" is very handy for conditions such as fog, wind, ice, rain etc - Mike
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like my eyes Wink
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Just like my eyes Wink

Yes I can see the other end of the country from here as well Rolling Eyes
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Just like my eyes Wink

What's your point?!!
It's no different than speed camera warnings your eyes can see those too! but they are stll useful reminders. We all drive too fast for the conditions sometimes and having the warning triangle show up does make you think twice. Remember you can't always see ice on the road!!

Useful thing IMO
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called humour. Google it! Rolling Eyes

Yes it may be useful but so is looking out the window and looking/listening to the weather. It is an aid. Nothing more nothing less.

I had the reverse. Mine showed ice (when I was down south). My temp gauge showed -4. There was frost and ice (and some snow) everywhere. I got 150 miles north. TT didn't show a warning. My temp guage showed +4 and there was no frost, snow or ice.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We all drive too fast for the conditions sometimes

Please don't include me in that statement.

Quote:
Remember you can't always see ice on the road!!

If the road looks wet and you can hear your tyres you're OK, treat as wet conditions. If you can't hear your tyres you're on black ice, so foot off throttle and use gears to adjust speed.

PLUS!! What happens if the data is incorrect and showing all clear when in fact the road is icy?

Another good one to remember is when following other vehicles, forget the '2 second rule' on motorways, just think to yourself.... if the car in front was a brick wall (static that is), could I stop?
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said above!!!
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
We all drive too fast for the conditions sometimes

Please don't include me in that statement.

Quote:
Remember you can't always see ice on the road!!

If the road looks wet and you can hear your tyres you're OK, treat as wet conditions. If you can't hear your tyres you're on black ice, so foot off throttle and use gears to adjust speed.

PLUS!! What happens if the data is incorrect and showing all clear when in fact the road is icy?

Another good one to remember is when following other vehicles, forget the '2 second rule' on motorways, just think to yourself.... if the car in front was a brick wall (static that is), could I stop?

Such a negative attitude. Well I liked it anyway. Rolling Eyes

So far for the data has been accurate and so has all my HD Traffic data.
I'm happy with my 540 Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Icey roads on 540 Live Reply with quote

Fozzee wrote:
symbol was a car with skid marks lines in background)

I'd assumed it was a warning that you might get "skid marks" if you venture onto black ice. Wink
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Such a negative attitude. Well I liked it anyway.

I can't understand the negative part.

Quote:
I'm happy with my 540

So far so good then, I hope it continues to be accurate, but don't forget how many of the inbuilt road speeds are wrong, how people are directed onto railway lines and cliff edges etc., far from perfect at the moment, even getting from A to B in some cases, would I trust the data? NO! The trouble is some people blindly follow instructions and rely on their device being 100% accurate and get a false sense of security, that's when the trouble starts. Too much technology is taking away the skill and art of safe driving.

I use my trusty iGO to get me from A to B, although occasionally have to ignore the odd incorrect 'command' e.g. driving along an Autoroute at 130 kph and told to 'Do a 'U'-Turn'..... Yeah right. One other occasion I can remember it told me to turn next right into a one-way street. One thing for sure, I wouldn't trust my life with sat nav and all the add-ons.

Take care, keep safe.

Quote:
I'd assumed it was a warning that you might get "skid marks" if you venture onto black ice.
Very Happy Razz
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
Such a negative attitude. Well I liked it anyway.

I can't understand the negative part.

Quote:
I'm happy with my 540

So far so good then, I hope it continues to be accurate, but don't forget how many of the inbuilt road speeds are wrong, how people are directed onto railway lines and cliff edges etc., far from perfect at the moment, even getting from A to B in some cases, would I trust the data? NO! The trouble is some people blindly follow instructions and rely on their device being 100% accurate and get a false sense of security, that's when the trouble starts. Too much technology is taking away the skill and art of safe driving.

I use my trusty iGO to get me from A to B, although occasionally have to ignore the odd incorrect 'command' e.g. driving along an Autoroute at 130 kph and told to 'Do a 'U'-Turn'..... Yeah right. One other occasion I can remember it told me to turn next right into a one-way street. One thing for sure, I wouldn't trust my life with sat nav and all the add-ons.

Take care, keep safe.

Quote:
I'd assumed it was a warning that you might get "skid marks" if you venture onto black ice.
Very Happy Razz

The negative point was why they felt it necessary to belittle the icy conditions warning symbol. And in my post I mentioned my HD traffic data had been accurate I made no comment about road speeds, directions etc However saying that I haven't experienced any major problems with the map data on this tomtom or my previous tomtom go 500. The device is only as good as the mapping data which will never be 100% accurate. People never got this overexcited about road maps being out of date or inaccurate! I think in general most sat navs are excellent at doing what they were designed to do.
B2B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Icey roads on 540 Live Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Fozzee wrote:
symbol was a car with skid marks lines in background)

I'd assumed it was a warning that you might get "skid marks" if you venture onto black ice. Wink

Too good Andy Very Happy
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
you're on black ice, so foot off throttle and use gears to adjust speed.

Bit of a fallacy that. Doesn't matter what internal mechanism you use to slow the wheels the car only slows by friction contact with the road, so you will skid just as well by braking with gears. In fact I suspect the opposite is true and that a modern ABS will be more effective.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that too, but wasn't brave enough to stick my head above the parapet, if you know what I mean!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: