Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 5 upgrade for PNA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 5 upgrade for PNA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chippy24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: tomtom 5 upgrade for PNA Reply with quote

Hi, I have put tomtom 5 upgrade onto my medion md96800/PNA250, everything works fine expect I cannot seem to find the POI's on the discs to put onto the storage card. I presumed they would be on the Great Britain plus map disc and would be stored there!
Has anyone an idea as to how I can open up the supposed POI's with upgrade pack????
thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on Navigator on PDAs, but AFAIK all TomTom software stores the built-in POIs as a single file called 'poi.dat' which is inside the named map folder ("Western Europe", "Great Britain" etc.). Some devices have an additional 'crpoi.dat' file too.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a long time since i used TTN5, but if i remember (and i may be wrong) i think if you add.old to the poi.dat and add the pgpsw POIs to the map directory it should work, if it doesnt you can simply remove the added POIs and reinstate poi.dat.old to original poi.dat without losing anything,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TTN5 works in the same way as the PNA devices with respect to the POI files.
You can either remove the file POI.dat from the map folder or leave it alone, there is no advantage to either option to be honest.

You can suplement the built in POI files by adding custom POI files to the map folder, the files should be in the ov2 file format, each POI category comprises of the .ov2 file which contains the location data and a bmp file which is the icon.

Your device can accept upto 39 custom POI categories, if you exceed this level the software does strange things with some of the POI categories disapearing. To get some decent quality POI files have a look at This page, just remember the limit of 39 so use the "Combine Sub-cats" option to reduce the number of Custom POI Files - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly sure that on my PDA if the poi.dat file was left as is. It would show some duplicate but not all POI listings, I know you could still select which to show but stll confusing, hence adding .old to avoid pickup, anyway I am not going back to TTN5 just to prove a point.
chippy24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, all sorted and working now
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was it sorted
chippy24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Sorted problem! Reply with quote

Hi, Well it appears that when we loaded the maps onto the sd card the original download was corrupted. Reformatting the sd card and reinstalling the map data cleared up the problem, but thanks guys for your offers of help in tring to resolve the issue

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: