Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions on the use of the S90i.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on the use of the S90i.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I think you'll struggle getting a refund with something that age! I have only had my unit for 7 days.
I did email Navman support yesterday again and got the standard answer from someone different that they had no plans to do anything with the POI limit! The firm must have a death wish!
Shame as like some bits of the unit.
Doug
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowwolf wrote:
Do you think I could get a refund if it's over 1 year! I did keep waiting for Navman to sort things out and they havn't, I really can't make out what Navman are upto????

It's a real dilemma for consumers in this age of "A downloadable fix will be made available shortly". You do have wonder whether manufacturers say this in an effort to stave off "Unfit for purpose" refund claims...

The S-series is a classic example of this. In many respects these are great units - but ruined by myriad minor but utterly irritating bugs and ergonomic/usability issues. Problems that NavMan could have easily addressed. I would say that my S90i is pretty much "fit for purpose" but utterly cr*p at the same time. It's a bit like an old Lada: it will fulfil its purpose in that it will safely get you from point A to point B... but it won't be a pleasant experience. The dashboard controls are all over the place (equivalent to the S-series' awful ergonomics) and its top speed is 58mph (equivalent to the 12K POI limit).... but the mechanicals are pretty tough and reliable, so it *will* get you there.

I think that's an important point potential NavMan customers should heed. By all means you can rely on a NavMan to fulfil its primary role. But then *all* SatNav solutions do that. When it comes to additional features, in the case of NavMan, like the Lada, you just have lower your expectations from now on. (I'd love to know whether the sales figures of the latest range of NavMan units show an improvement.)

On reflection, I don't think you would have a fair case in respect of the 12K POI limit - NavMan have never marketed the units as a means of storing zillions of POIs (and nor have they ever promised to improve this aspect, as far as I'm aware). The units' purpose is to assist the driver in travelling from one place to another - and, other than a few mistakes in the mapping data, they do this job very well, in my experience.

Having said that, lots of users reported that their units suffered frequent software crashes. For me that is a clear case of being "unfit for purpose". (It's never been a problem that's afflicted my unit, though.)

Additionally SatNavs in general have obtained much negative coverage in the media because of mapping errors, so I suspect most shops would give you a refund if you used that as an excuse to get rid of a unit you weren't happy with. Whether you could do this after one year is debateable but you could always claim "Well NavMan did promise more up-to-date maps but even the latest ones still have lots of errors. In my view I have allowed them more than a fair opportunity to correct these problems but, in this most vital respect, the unit remains unfit for purpose."

Returning to my first point, I was tempted to seek a refund on my NavMan after a week or so of ownership because it wasn't until using it out on the open road that all its problems became apparent (It's all very well trying one out in the confines of a shop demonstration but you don't get the true measure of a SatNav unit until you start using it in real situations). But I kept it in the hope that NavMan would sort these out as, had they done so, it would have become one of the best units on the market. That's the dilemma!

I'm hoping that NavMan goes bust during the present financial malaise. Given their utter refusal to address problems flagged up by customers - let alone bother to properly test the software before launching to market - it is not a company that deserves to stay in business. I know that sounds like a mad rant but NavMan aren't the only offenders in this respect (though they are arguably the worst). The whole industry needs a wake-up call to tell them that if they abandon their customers, all they can expect is reciprocation.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: