Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Red Light & Gatso Dual Camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Light & Gatso Dual Camera
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapidpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Red Light & Gatso Dual Camera Reply with quote

Hi All, just wondered how these cameras are listed in the database - I've seen a few now around my area. They are positioned like red light cameras but also act as a gatso for the speed limit on the said road. Or will they just be listed as two, very close together ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, these dual role cameras are named as RedSpeed within the database, the submissions page for new cameras also has this RedSpeed category available as a type of camera when users submit new/ altered cameras - Mike
rapidpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the prompt reply. So do these show as their own icon ?

edit: just answered it myself by searching - stored under gatso cameras... although I would have thought it might be best to store them under a new category ?? any thoughts ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they will show up as a standard GATSO camera IIRC - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please also be extra certain if you are going to submit any - just because they are yellow and/or the newer digital ones rather than the older Gatso type doesn't mean they are speed cameras as well as redlight ones. One local to me was submitted as changed to RedSpeed, but there are no road markings going across the junction. Main point, however, is that one day I happened to be held up by the lights and was right alongside the camera, where a nice man was up a ladder poking around its insides, so I ran my window down and asked him if it was speed and light, or just one. He confirmed it was only a yellow painted redlight.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapidpete wrote:
I would have thought it might be best to store them under a new category ?? any thoughts ?

If they were to be split out into their own category, it would actually mean creating and seting up warnings for another SEVEN categories - 20mph-70mph and 'tba'. Mad Not for me thanks!

If you really wanted to do it yourself, you could use POI edit to edit the list.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
rapidpete wrote:
I would have thought it might be best to store them under a new category ?? any thoughts ?

If they were to be split out into their own category, it would actually mean creating and seting up warnings for another SEVEN categories - 20mph-70mph and 'tba'. Mad Not for me thanks!

and 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 and 75...

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Johnny Foreigner.... Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Typical Johnny Foreigner.... Wink

Be so much easier if they all used MPH Very Happy
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Please also be extra certain if you are going to submit any - just because they are yellow and/or the newer digital ones rather than the older Gatso type doesn't mean they are speed cameras as well as redlight ones. One local to me was submitted as changed to RedSpeed, but there are no road markings going across the junction. Main point, however, is that one day I happened to be held up by the lights and was right alongside the camera, where a nice man was up a ladder poking around its insides, so I ran my window down and asked him if it was speed and light, or just one. He confirmed it was only a yellow painted redlight.

I see your point, but I'd rather a few red light cams were listed as speed cams incorrectly if thats the case as well, just to be on the safe side.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibeone wrote:
DennisN wrote:

I see your point, but I'd rather a few red light cams were listed as speed cams incorrectly if thats the case as well, just to be on the safe side.

should we also add every wheelie bin to the database in case there's a mobile camera tucked away inside?

extreme sillyness I know, but my point is if it doesn;t do it it doesn't go in the database as doing it!
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
vibeone wrote:
DennisN wrote:

should we also add every wheelie bin to the database in case there's a mobile camera tucked away inside?

extreme sillyness I know, but my point is if it doesn;t do it it doesn't go in the database as doing it!

I understand that, and the point you are trying to make, and what Dennis means.

However, like the pMobiles... I'd rather have them than not. So if someone accidently marks a red light cam as a redspeed camera... I won't be crying too much.

That make more sense? I've used the cams for ages, and I see the need for accuracy mind Smile

Quick Q: I'm hoping for a lifetime sub (finally!). I put the cameras in on monday, and they appeared in the latest release... does this mean I should get it today, or do I have to wait until next week/a confirmation (its visible on aerial mapping though!)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibeone wrote:

Quick Q: I'm hoping for a lifetime sub (finally!). I put the cameras in on monday, and they appeared in the latest release... does this mean I should get it today, or do I have to wait until next week/a confirmation (its visible on aerial mapping though!)

If you were the lucky one, I think you should get an email soon after the database release that includes them. So maybe you weren't the first this time? Sad
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I've read this list of threads where MaFt gets annoyed at people (joke) Smile .... but is there any official way to request info on whether I was successful, or how close I was?

There was nothing at all there on Monday @ 14:00 update. I entered them at around 16:00ish on the monday (I think) and they appeared on the Wednesday 14:00 update.

Maybe I only confirmed an existing report or something, but I can't see anyone got there between 14:00 and 16:00 - its a quiet road and 2 new cameras on a new zebra crossing etc.

The cameras are:

GATSO:31101@30, Heading:225, Single Direction
GATSO:31100@30, Heading:45, Single Direction

@ Latitude: 53.226841056947144 Longitude: -1.2094616889953613
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibeone wrote:

There was nothing at all there on Monday @ 14:00 update. I entered them at around 16:00ish on the monday (I think) and they appeared on the Wednesday 14:00 update.

That's not how it works... The map shows all the CONFIRMED cameras and YOUR OWN submissions, it doesn't show anyone else's pending submissions, so you might be the first, or there might have been a dozen people before you.
It says above the map:
Quote:
The submission map below now shows active sites, pending mobile sites and your own submissions that have been provisionally included (i.e. not every submission) but awaiting verification

Quote:
is there any official way to request info on whether I was successful, or how close I was?

The official way of finding out if you were the first.... is getting that email! That happens automatically.
What takes the time, I think, is manually looking back through all the records to see what number you were .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: