Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So much for HD Traffic - Stuck in M1 Closure.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So much for HD Traffic - Stuck in M1 Closure.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: So much for HD Traffic - Stuck in M1 Closure..... Reply with quote

I've been sat on the M1 since 3:15 with my new 940 happily saying that its traffic is upto date..... and no sign or indication that the M1 is closed.....

Good old TomTom.....
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 133 minute delay showing on the HD web version.

Also loads of delays reported on the roads nearby.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing showing at 15:47 'Traffic information up to date'
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 127 minutes on the TT HD website now......

LPG Fuelled Car on fire has closed both lanes. Police un sure how long for.... (from BBC News)

ETA:
Now 162 Minutes. No way to force an update? Restart unit?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very good to know the outcome of this "on the road". The HD web site is now showing a lot more than it was yesterday, and looks very impressive now. I think someone has given the system a big kick to unblock it. If this information gets out onto the x40 devices, it will help a lot.

I'm actually quite impressed with it now! (Though sympathise for the people I can see on the CCTV cameras sitting in big queues!)
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been sat on the M1 since 3:15 with my new 940 happily saying that its traffic is upto date..... and no sign or indication that the M1 is closed.....

...and yet another reason why despite having invested in my 540 LIVE I continue to pay my £30 a year to renew my Trafficmaster Freeway subscription which NEVER misses these incidences unless it has just happened or the resulting queue is less than 2 miles. The Trafficmaster is fed direct from those roadside or bridge mounted cameras and operates in real time.

Between the Trafficmaster and my 540 I don't tend to get held up that much (at least not without warning) and if the accident or whatever has only just happened then nothing is going to 'save you' since you will be in the jam before any system can react.

Now that's a thought for the next generation - a sat nav than can predict where delays are GOING to happen Laughing
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 940 has been showing the traffic problems on the M1 for several hours now and the A1 at Welwyn.

Out of interest Speedcam how are you posting to this site (mobile, Laptop PDA?) whilst driving on the M1?
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually 740 started showing the delays at 4:15 but this was far too late...

Very Happy The motorway was stationary so I was using my Netbook & 3G connection, full video conference using MSN Messenger and then I had chance to watch Top Gear using BBC iPlayer.... great fun..
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to refresh the TT traffic server on the 540? Sometimes I have had the yellow triangle but weather and cam updates is working. I can't find a way to get the tomtom to research for the tt traffic server without switching it off and on again, or will it automatically start when the server is up and running because I don't see it retrying at any intervals?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not an update button as such but when I have had issues, probably due to GPRS connectivity, I have found that you can start updates by browsing the map and looking at an inicident (if you have any) or trying another live service such as buddies or weather can also trigger it. This seems to force the unit to make a server connection which then sets the traffic off updating.

I have often wondered how HD Traffic determines your locality for the updates, is it from the GPRS station you are connected to or does the unit send your GPS location when requesting an update?
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definately something odd with HD traffic.

Today, a fatal accident happened on the A141 March bypass, in Cambridgeshire, closing the road.

It has been widely reported on local and national radio since this morning, and even now, drivers are being re-routed or advised to avoid area.

Yet, colleagues with 940's and s with X40 devices and HD traffic have not got anything showing on their devices.

However, my 920 with GPRS has shown problem all day so far as has my wifes 720 with RDS.

Can anyone can shed a light on why HD is missing information that is displayed on GPRS and RDS, or is the traffic info sourced differently for HD
GO 920 Dead
muchus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's because of no traffic on the road, and the HD info comes from Vodafone signals moving. HD traffic will just see it as the road being clear, unless there's some human intervention
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muchus wrote:
I wonder if it's because of no traffic on the road, and the HD info comes from Vodafone signals moving. HD traffic will just see it as the road being clear, unless there's some human intervention

But it will (it should) detect that the same Vodafone 'phone has not moved for a while and spot a serious problem. I believe they also use other traffic information sources for HD information.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies.

It would seem that this road closure problem not reported by HD units is not an isolated incidence.

I was surprised that HD being only device not repporting the accident or road closure. perhaps the traffic at standstill was ignored.

I think i will stick with GPRS for now.
GO 920 Dead
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, HD is showing a closure on the M1 at the moment, "M1 J23A EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT → J25 NOTTINGHAM closed between J24A DERBY and J25 NOTTINGHAM" which is not there according to any other source, including the CCTV.

[edit:] Also M4 J1 CHISWSICK → J3 FELTHAM closed between J1 CHISWSICK and J3 FELTHAM is shown, but not present.

Looks like road closures are a problem, but the rest of the system is working well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: