Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disappearing speed cameras - please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappearing speed cameras - please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Disappearing speed cameras - please help Reply with quote

I have recenty downloaded Checkpoint V3 and the Speed Camera database (Ipaq 2210, TomTom 3). All works fine except that speed cameras keep disappearing from the map/navigator. This has happened twice in the last 3 days and is very frustrating. The map seems to show all the cameras in the South West but the cameras for the rest of the UK have gone. A full reset does not work. The ony way I can get the cameras back is to reload the sc.ov2 file. Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Rob
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Which Speed Camera database are you using? The PocketGPS World one is the best one! ;-) Is it the same cameras that disappear every time or random ones?

Have you downloaded, or using any other POIs? Try unselecting all POIs, except the Speed Camera POI. In TTNav2.xx, the default maximum number of POIs on the map at any time is 20; this can be changed, although I prefer to keep to that number. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
robs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
Thanks for the reply. I am using the pocket gps database, no other poi's loaded. Seems to be the same cameras which disappear each time. How up-to-date is the camera database? it's dated January 2004 but the website says its updated regularly.
Regards,

Rob
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

That’s very strange! Confused Are the cameras definitely there at some point and then gone instantly, or only after you restart TomTom?

I read on the forum a few minutes ago that Darren has spent most of today getting the next version of the camera database ready. So watch this space. I reckon that you’ll see a new version posted in the next couple of days.

I’d suggest downgrading to CheckPOInt 2.0.2, but I’m not sure that that will solve your problem.

Can you keep an eye on the camera database .OV2 file and see if it’s getting modified (i.e. by the data/time property)?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
robs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

All seems to be working ok at the moment, i seem to get the problem only if i use the poi sync service. I have read elsewhere that people have had problems with version 3 and the poi sync service. do you think i should downgrade to the previous version?

Thanks,

Rob
robs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: found the problem but no solution Reply with quote

The cameras dissapear only after i have used the add/remove POI function in Checkpoint. Very frustrating as there are at least 10 temporary roadworks cameras on the M42 near the NEC which I need to delete but if I delete any of them all the cameras north of that point seem to disappear.

The POI warning sound and distance information still appear but no speed camera icons show on the screen.

I have not used the add/remove function for a number of weeks now and all works perfectly.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks,

Rob
garygfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer, out of curiosity why do you think the PocketGPS speed camera map is the best? It doesn't seem to differentiate between types of cameras or speed limits.

I've only been using Tomtom/CheckPOInt for 24 hours but the camera POIs "built in" to CheckPOInt show the speed limit too, plus red light and mobiles. I've recorded voices to advise me of the speed limit (will share them if anyone wants). As I'm new to this I'd be grateful to hear opinions from experienced users. I probably haven't taken something into account being a newbie. Thanks.

Gary.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Up until recently I used a Morpheous Geodesy (non plus) in addition to the PocketGPS World camera database. Whilst the Geodesy data was as accurate as you would expect for a subscription-based service, the PocketGPS World database is free. In the areas that I’ve travelled I’ve always found the PocketGPS World database to be as accurate as the commercial one.

My gut feeling is that as the PocketGPS World database is free, a lot more people will use it than a subscription based one. If that is the case then there are more people out there who can report updates for the database. Which can only be good for all of us that use it.

Personally, I want to be notified of all cameras regardless of the posted speed limit as speed limits can change. However I understand your requirements for warnings when you’re above the speed limit. Yes the current version of the database doesn’t differentiate between cameras types or speed limits. That will hopefully change in the not to distant future. Wink

You might want to look at the latest version of GPSAssist 2, which is currently being developed and having new features added to it. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
garygfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I haven't tried GPSassist yet, but after spending £500 on the PocketPC, GPS, and Tomtom one feels rather drained of spare cash! Crying or Very sad That's why I went for CheckPOInt, because it's free. It's camera database is quite good and has everything that pocketgps has identified in my local area and surrounding towns.

I think it's useful if the app can warn you that a camera is a red light camera rather than a speed camera, or a SPECS instead of a GATSO as your reaction will differ accordingly. This is what CheckPOInt's free POIs do. Not that I purposely drive beyond the speed limit, but you can still be done for wondering a few mph above the limit which millions of people have done.

I agree with you that free POI databases are likely to be more accurate since more people use it and collect/verify data. I've noticed some really bad mistake's in Tomtom's built-in POIs for petrol stations but can't find any way to get the corrections into their central database. A journey to a station just 1 mile away took 12 miles and left me on an empty motorway slip road! Evil or Very Mad Another one left me in a dead-end council estate late at night. Sad
joni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have been using a Geodesy and have been contemplating selling it having bought an ipaq/ TomTom package and downloaded GPS World camera database/ POI Warner. However I have passed just three cameras to date and two were not recognised. One was a Truvelo approaching T.Wells which has been active for at least a year and the other, a Gatso, on the outskirts of Eastbourne, active for at least 6 months. I won't be selling the Geodesy just yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: