Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very happy with Active10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very happy with Active10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunny,

I think it would depend on what the OS/SatMap said about a swap/sell section.

The OS hold onto their licences/copyright like grim death.

Ian
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only "problem" will be batteries,if you are camping then there will be the problem of charging the SatMap rechargeable battery each night ( extra at about £45 or so although there are some inclusive deals available ) ,B&B of course,no problem.If using Energiser Lithium then it will be an expensive do at round about £4 or so for four ( the SatMap takes three ).I imagine you would want a fresh set each day.You could of course swap between the Li-Pol and the Energisers but this involves removing the Li-Pol and reinserting the battery carrier and the plug is a bit fragile for continuous use.

I have been looking into a solution to this problem and decided that the best solution would be to carry a larger battery pack with me.

The simplest way to interface this with the Satmap is via the USB port.

There is an interesting and detailed video "tutorial" on how to do this on http://revision3.com/systm/usbcharger2/

I will let you know how I get on Smile

Peter
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, its an interesting video - if you are going to build something like this charger supply go for option 3 in the video with the DC/DC converter, option 2 is viable and I have built portable charger packs using the same Vreg as shown but they waste battery power in way of heat. I think there is a post containing details of the battery charger box I built on here somewhere but a quick search turned nothing up and I no longer have the box.

In the end though I bought one of These which is capable of recharging the active10 from empty to full twice assuming you set off with the pack topped off in the first place The built in high intensity LED can be handy at times when it gets dark, although I don't think these exact models are still available - Mike
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you are going to build something like this charger supply go for option 3 in the video with the DC/DC converter, option 2 is viable and I have built portable charger packs using the same Vreg as shown but they waste battery power in way of heat.

That was my conclusion also. My intention is to build a DC up-converter like option 3 but power it from a couple of "C" or "D" cells which should allow me to run the Satmap on full screen brightness all day.

Peter
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for the D cell type like These with 11,000mAHr available from a full charge your active10 should last well beyond a week even if you don't switch it off! - Mike
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a 12v sealed lead acid battery and charger from Maplins (possibly not the cheapest place) and connect the supplied 12v charger via a cigarette lighter socket?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 12V battery would work when combined with a regulated charger lead but these tend to be rather heavy, a couple of rechargeable industrial grade D cells would be better suited if walking/ camping.

I made a battery pack last year out of 6 high capacity D cells and put it in a water bottle for use on a mountain bike, the bottle fits the normal bottle holder and the cap was drilled out to allow the power wires to exit, to stop the cells rattling around the whole lot was "potted" using a two pack silicon filler - Mike
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the 12v charger supplied with the lipol battery is regulated?

I wasn't suggesting that the battery pack be carried about, just used to recharge overnight.

Alternatively, there are a number of powerpacks available using lithium batteries. These usually have a 5v USB output and ate intended to charg PDAs ipods etc. Even some of the big brands like philips do them.
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that keen to do Lands End - John O Groats with a lead acid accumulator in my pannier.

Many of the regulated supplies that reduce from 12v - 5v are inefficient and dissipate the energy as heat. What I think is needed is a high efficiency power source from lightweight batteries.

Peter
SD101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a power monkey that will charge my phone, Garmin 705, and ipod. I've not yet tried to charge the A10 but I see no reason why it shouldn't. When touring I keep the power monkey topped up off a solar panel and occasional mains hook-up.

Steve D
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be of any use for you?

Not checked for best price.

http://www.mobiled.co.uk/UNiROSS-Rechargeable-Wind-Charger.htm

Sorry can't make hotlink from pda.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regret, I am currently advertising my Satmap and accessories on ebay. If any PGPSW member fancies a 5% discount on a sale price in excess of covering my postage costs, feel free to get in there! I'm fairly easy to identify there.

If you are a winning bidder and PM me with your identification details, plus the item you won, I'll make a suitable Paypal'refund' to you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: