Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very happy with Active10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very happy with Active10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have been reviewing the Satmap forum for several weeks, and have come to the conclusion that this is the system that achieves all I require. I am now looking to purchase one in the the near future. Having looked around the internet, the best deal I have been able to come up with is at www.outdoors-online.co.uk/showproduct.asp?pid=2190. Does anybody have knowledge of any better deals online? and by purchasing online, does it in any way invalidate the after sale service with Satmap that by all accounts is excellent

Terry
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I think that is the best you are going to get.There is a similar offer here:-

http://www.foot-steps.uk.com/

with the inclusion of the de-luxe case but the postage is more.Personally I wouldn't bother with the super duper case,it is not much different to the one supplied,but of course you may think differently.

No it makes no difference to the SatMap aftersales care,I bought mine from Foot-Steps and had to return it to SatMap for a minor repair,done without quibble or problem.

Ian
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ian. That has made my mind up, I will hopefully be purchasing one in the next few days both sites look good.

Terry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, Don't forget to include a map card with the device if you are intending to use it walking/ cycling etc. Even a 50K scale map of your home county is a good start point to get used to the device and these currently cost less than £15
The 25K scale county maps vary in price depending upon coverage area costing between £40 and £190 per county - Mike
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike thanks for that. Living in Cambs and doing most of my walks in the Peak Dist, Lake Dist, and Rutland I have decided to purchase the 1.50 Central England OS map from same supplier at £107.99. I believe this card will encompass all my favorite walks.

Terry
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

After deciding that Satmap had lost a sale to me because of their poor communication and also fears for their future I have now changed my mind and ordered one!

So what has changed my mind?

1. I have not read any bad reports on the unit itself. Indeed it seems to me that most, if not all, users are very impressed with the device.

2. I managed to find it for £239.90 delivered.

I realise I need to buy some maps for the Satmap. I will probably go for the 50K versions rather than the 25K as they are considerably cheaper and in my opinion more readable; at least I find the paper versions are.

As an example Kent will cost £14.99 for 1:50K but a massive £104.20 for 1:25K both plus postage.

I already have paper maps and memory-map software for most of the areas I walk so not sure I need this level of detail on the Satmap itself. I am thinking 25K might be a little too detailed for the relatively small screen and I will still carry a paper map anyway. I would welcome opinions on this.

I shall leave off the purchase of the LiPol pack until later: After convincing the wife that the Satmap is being sold for a bargain price I can't risk adding too many extras!

I have been a long time user of Garmin products and have been using the Garmin Vista HCx with Topo GB for some time. I quite like this combination although the mapping shows very few rights of way. It will be interesting to see how the units compare.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only really needed the 25K scale detail on one occasion in bad weather trying to find the route down a rocky decent off Igleborough the year before last, otherwise 50K is fine. Had we waited for 30 minutes for other walkers ascending I would have found the correct route entry point.

We were one of the first groups on the top that day, in conditions where you could only see around 20 feet due to thick fog, seeing your position on the map in close detail was very handy.
We always carry compass and paper maps for the area, but in the conditions we experienced they were useless - Mike
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. That is just what I wanted to hear. The 50K maps seem to me to be reasonable value.

At my age I don't do much hiking in extreme weather so 1:50K should be fine.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave I like you am a converted sceptic and will be committing to one in the next few days, may I ask where you purchased yours from at £239.90 incl delivery.

Terry
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry8 wrote:
Hi Dave I like you am a converted sceptic and will be committing to one in the next few days, may I ask where you purchased yours from at £239.90 incl delivery.

Terry

Hi,

It's from a nationwide supplier. It's just a question of knowing the 20% off discount code.

I'm not at home at the moment but will send you a private message on Monday with all the details.

Dave
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated Dave

Terry
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been a long time user of Garmin products and have been using the Garmin Vista HCx with Topo GB for some time. I quite like this combination although the mapping shows very few rights of way. It will be interesting to see how the units compare.

Dave.

I think you will be blown away by the difference betwen the two.

Ian
fatchef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_the_Hiker wrote:

Hi,

It's from a nationwide supplier. It's just a question of knowing the 20% off discount code.

I'm not at home at the moment but will send you a private message on Monday with all the details.

Dave

Guess thats not B2091 to be used at Cotswold then Dave? Confused

Cos thats been around for a few years and really not a secret at all, rumour has it that its getting pulled very soon!
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatchef wrote:
Dave_the_Hiker wrote:

Hi,

Dave

Guess thats not B2091 to be used at Cotswold then Dave? Confused

Cos thats been around for a few years and really not a secret at all, rumour has it that its getting pulled very soon!

You got it. I didn't want to be responsible for it being pulled!
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave following the thread I have gone onto Cotswold web site and on entering the promotional code the price was reduced to £239.90. This has led to one more proud owner of the active 10. Now just looking forward to it being delivered. Thanks to all on forum for helping make decision easy.

Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: