Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HD Traffic Website - Real Time With x40 units?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HD Traffic Website - Real Time With x40 units?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms response to my query was...

"..the service is just a guide."
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I noticed that many of the false stuck incidents have disappeared again, not sure if that is temporary or they will return again, but this time there is other traffic info showing.

The Romford and M26 accidents have gone and the A12 closure on TT Routes and the HD Website have gone but the A12 clsue is still showing on my 940.

My 940 is also showing a lot of incidents in London that are not showing on the HD based web sites, I wonder why the difference, they have always been virtually the same in the past.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
TomToms response to my query was...

"..the service is just a guide."

Is that referring to the website or the HD Traffic on the machine itself, Paul?

Also, does anyone know if they ever said whether the data is from the same sources and should therefore "track" between the website and the Go?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both i presume.

I wrote a decent email regarding the M5 showing a phantom problem for weeks after it had cleared and not showing a real problem 4 hours after the motorway was closed and asked if the HD Website was the same as the real x40 feed for the units. I also pointed out that whilst i understood Sat Navs and the information is just a guide their advertising touts that it's up to date and accurate (when it clearly isn't) and using their product will not gt you stuck or delayed.......

Their response was "As you say it's just guide" and that was about it. Actual emails have gone walk about after a clean up of my mail boxes....

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My message asking why they didn't have the M5 closure on the HD system has now come back with a question wanting to know the details of the problem. Includes request for "Nearest intersection or interchange
Name:, Number:, Hectometer:"

Well, if I can find it on the BBC web site, and I'll bet it was on the GPRS system, I think they ought to be able to find a closure themselves! Typical brush-off IMO.
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still disappointed with HD Traffic.

It has improved somewhat in the evenings for my commute (about 1 time out of 5), however in the mornings I get stuck in far worse traffic and get no alert what so ever. I've never had an alert on my journey in to work.

It is almost a dead certainty to be queueing but HD Traffic tells me nothing, nor did it tell me either of the times the road has been closed due to an accident.

I have had a few alerts about town traffic, which I get stuck in daily as well, however it's hit and miss - some days it will tell me, some days it wont, it's told me twice in probably 40 commutes involving the same amount of traffic.

Basically, I'm better of assuming the traffic is going to be terrible on my route and chances are TT won't even hint at a delay, Despite my route consistently taking me 10-20% longer than the IQR time.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are worrying me. I bought a 740 yesterday to replace my 910, primarily for HD traffic.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
You guys are worrying me. I bought a 740 yesterday to replace my 910, primarily for HD traffic.

I think this is all just teething problems. It looks great when it is running okay, and much of the time it looks like it is. But when it breaks it is not good. It has to get better though, otherwise we'll all be feeling glum - we are in the same boat as you after all! Only we face paying for this earlier...
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
TonyD wrote:

I think this is all just teething problems. It looks great when it is running okay, and much of the time it looks like it is. But when it breaks it is not good. It has to get better though, otherwise we'll all be feeling glum - we are in the same boat as you after all! Only we face paying for this earlier...

Cheers
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if some videos of HD Traffic blatantly not working should make their way to YouTube (shot by a passenger of course), perhaps Tom Tom would be a bit more prompt in improving the service.

I had a classic on the way out of Leeds, towards Bradford, last night.
Stuck in a jam, the other carriageway was free-flowing, but HD Traffic showed the Jam going in the opposite direction.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just HD that doesn't keep up-to-date. Terry Wogan is frequently complaining about matrix signs that keep warning of delays for hours or days after they have cleared.

If the people that operate those can't get it right, how can a third party be expected to?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
It's not just HD that doesn't keep up-to-date. Terry Wogan is frequently complaining about matrix signs that keep warning of delays for hours or days after they have cleared.

If the people that operate those can't get it right, how can a third party be expected to?

This, I think, is where HD scores. The problem with the GPRS based old system is that it used the central information, and that is very slow to change. It gets the problem posted, but it doesn't get removed for hours. This led to it being unreliable as you couldn't trust it. However from the past few days of watching it, and looking at the CCTV to check, the HD traffic is very live, and shows either a real delay or clears it as quickly. The core information is therefore very trustable (if available in your area of course!). The problem at the moment is with the delivery mechanism, which seems to have problems at times with things getting stuck or not appearing at all (possibly due to some other event sticking). This, I think (as a programmer) is some solvable technical issue and that gives me hope that this really will live up to its promise once they can fix the delivery issues.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line with all of this is that this will become a subscription service very shortly and if people are not happy with the data integrity they will not subscribe. I think this alone will be sufficient to concentrate TT's mind on getting it right.

After all with TMC once you had bought the unit / antenna it didn't matter whether the service worked or not to TT, they already had your money

This is a completely different beast altogether since subscibers will always have the option to cancel if not happy with the service................
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
The bottom line with all of this is that this will become a subscription service very shortly and if people are not happy with the data integrity they will not subscribe. I think this alone will be sufficient to concentrate TT's mind on getting it right.

After all with TMC once you had bought the unit / antenna it didn't matter whether the service worked or not to TT, they already had your money

This is a completely different beast altogether since subscibers will always have the option to cancel if not happy with the service................

I think it was that thought process that convinced me to bite the bullet and go with an x40. However, I have such little confidence in TT as a company to not believe they won't continue to screw it up.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT has just announced at the CES (large Consumer electronics show in Las Vegas) that they will be introducing the 740 Live in North America in April. Apparently, $499 US includes a 1-year subscription.

Hope they've learned **something** from the experiences you Brits have had with this product and its implementation.

(TT still will NOT offer a map subscription to North Americans! Twisted Evil )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: