Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 - "unable to find a route"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 - "unable to find a route"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: 540 - "unable to find a route" Reply with quote

I had to visit a Post Office in a small village in Cornwall yesterday, for the first time. My new 540 found the place no problem, using the postcode.

When I went to leave, I tried to navigate to a POI, but it couldn't find a route. Tried navigate to Home, and to a local town centre, and got the same message.
I was parked in a layby outside the shop, and had a good signal. Drove for 100 yards, and it found a route no problem.

Never had this problem with my old 510.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the roads around the shop where you started your journey using "Browse map".

Is there a tiny break in the road somewhere in the first 100 yards of the route that you took from the shop?

Is the route marked as "one way" (look for small arrows on the map) or "not driveable" (look for a dashed line on the map).

If this finds the problem try to use mapshare to correct it.

If this doesn't find the problem post back here with the co-ordinates of the shop where you started your journey and the version of the map that you are using. Someone with that map will usually be good enough to have a look at the problem on their device.
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any errors in the map.

The co-ordinates are:

N 50.21237
W 5.11833

Map version 8.204
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entering those coordinates my 940 is quite happy to plan a route from that position, it is possible that when you were parked up in the car the unit thought you were "off road" and therefore couldn't plan a route, once you moved a short distance and reacquired the road (as far as the device thought) it would then plan the route - Mike
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Entering those coordinates my 940 is quite happy to plan a route from that position, it is possible that when you were parked up in the car the unit thought you were "off road" and therefore couldn't plan a route, once you moved a short distance and reacquired the road (as far as the device thought) it would then plan the route - Mike

Thanks for checking.

That's the most likely explanation.
Does the 540 software work differently to the 510? The map on my 510 was quite old, so it often thought I was "off the road" when I was in a new supermarket or retail park car park. It still planned the route, but couldn't decide which way I needed to turn until I got back onto a proper road.

Seems odd that the 540 just gives up, rather than planning the route from the nearest road it knows.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to split hairs, I often set a route while on the top of a hillside where the road is more than 2 or 3 miles away and it quite happily sets a route for me. TT shows a dotted red line to the nearst road from my location and keeps updating this point on the road as I drive towards it.

I have had the unable to plan route error once or twice on a One and 730, I just put it down to a glitch as a power cycle solved it on both occasions.

Steve
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this once on my 940 when I selected the option "avoid all traffic".
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe than there being a problem with your starting point, it could be that it was that the particular POI you chose to route TO was well off-road.
Can you let us know what that was? (or you could try to recreate it with a demo route from your same starting point.).
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Rathe than there being a problem with your starting point, it could be that it was that the particular POI you chose to route TO was well off-road.

But once the OP had driven 100 yards the tomtom "found a route no problem." Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Embarassed (New Years Resolution... try actually reading the question! Sad )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: