Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920T - Instructions through car radio (FM transmitter)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920T - Instructions through car radio (FM transmitter)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripjean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: 920T - Instructions through car radio (FM transmitter) Reply with quote

Hi all am hoping to get some advice.

I have purchased a 920T and all is fine except for getting instructions to work through the car speakers (by FM transmitter)

When I go into speaker preferences it doe not give me the option to have the guidance instruction FM to my car radio. It has the other options (Internal Speaker, Bluetooth Hifi etc). On the next screen it does give me the option to play music FM to car speakers and this does work.

I am wondering why I am not getting the option for instructions through car speakers?

Thanks for any help.
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71792
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here for FM Transmitter issues http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71792&highlight=

Beat me to it Rolling Eyes
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert

Last edited by batties on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Did you do a backup copy of the GO920T using Windows Explorer when you first opened the box, or at least before you plugged it into your computer?

2. Did you plug it into your computer and download updates?

The original configuration of GO920T allowed FM transmission of nav instructions to your radio. Due to a recent change in some weird (EU?) legislation, TomTom concluded that doing this would be breaking the law, so with the most recent update of their firmware to Application 8.300, they have disabled that function.

You can recover it by going back to the earlier firmware (if you did that backup), but you lose whatever wonderful enhancements they have included with v8.300.

edit Dammit! I previewed before I pressed Submit and there was not a single reply. GRRR

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ripjean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks..........so TomTom seem to have taken this function off in view of legislation..........blimey!!
ripjean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if this is a legal issue I guess Garmin, Navman, etc have also removed this ability (if they had it in the first place)?
ripjean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis. yes a back up is the first thing I did. But I see no point in going backwards on the maps etc considering the reason I brought the 920 was that is was a lot cheaper than the 930 but with free updates operates the same as the 930 (generally).

By the way.........will the Demo run of a route give Advanced Lane Guidance (or Static Lane whatever its called) as I really want to see it in action but have not had the chance yet.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripjean wrote:
By the way.........will the Demo run of a route give Advanced Lane Guidance (or Static Lane whatever its called) as I really want to see it in action but have not had the chance yet.

I dunno - try it and see. Do a route along a motorway, navigate from N51.50912, W 0.64491 to N51.42444, W 0.89038. If it's easier, from City Centre, Slough, to Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL. This is M4 passing two motorway junctions where I know for a fact it does give you both Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View, so you should see at the bottom left a set of arrows representing (roughly) the motorway lanes, with the motorway lanes highlighted for you to follow (ahead/keeping right), as opposed to the exit slip road lanes, and the screen will change to an almost photograph of what you can see ahead - motorway, overhead gantry with direction signs and the motorway lanes flashing to follow, staying right/ahead, not filtering off to the left.

Brilliant! In real life, many people (including me) think it's rubbish and have it all deactivated. Personal preference - many people think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

ripjean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does work in demo thanks Dennis, although I have now noticed the stuttering speech and slow refresh that seems to have plagued everyone. I don't really want to back track to the version I backed up (7.4xxx) as I am worried I will mess up the device.

If Tomtom provides the fixes for these bugs and it is after my 30 Day Latest Map guarantee will I have to pay for these updates or will it be a free fix?

Many thanks for your help with these queries I am a relative novice at Sat-Nav devices.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripjean wrote:
If Tomtom provides the fixes for these bugs and it is after my 30 Day Latest Map guarantee will I have to pay for these updates or will it be a free fix?

I assume you now have App 8.300 and Map 815 on the device?

In which case you have the latest App and Map available at present. It is generally agreed that the stutter and refresh is down to the firmware (App 8.300) and as application updates are always free, the 30 day Latest Map Guarantee doesn't come into the equation, so the fix (if TomTom can think of one) will come free. As you clearly didn't have either the App or Map on the device when you got it, you've used up your LMG anyway.

Search around and you'll find a partial fix for these problems which involves downloading a different voice (or Loquendo folder) - I can't remember where it is as I used a different approach for my own.

MGTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: 920 Stutter Reply with quote

Hi

Mike alder provided a possible cure for the stuttering voice by updating to Navcore 8.320 he provided links for the navcore and TTS voice.. Works great on my unit....Not sure which thread but do a search

As a side note Tomtom removed the FM transmission for guidance due to the EU regs (the output has to be continuous) if i have music playing it is paused so the directions are played by the device, when the MP3 is paused i hear low interference on the radio is this not breaking the said regulations as it is not outputting on the FM frequency Rolling Eyes ???
ripjean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and help. I will try and do a search for Mike Alders Fix.

Dennis, on TT latest map webpage it says that you can download as many times as you like within the 30 days so I assumed that meant if I downloaded 8.15 on the first day, if they brought out V8.2 maps on day 10 and V8.3 on day 20 (highly unlikely I know!) i could upgrade to all of them as they are within the 30 day LMG?

And surely all the boffins at TomTom can come up with a fix for the stutters and slow refresh soon or else people will defect to Garmin (unless they have the same problems!)

Anyway by the time I check this next it will be new year so Happy New Year to all and may it be prosperous and full of quality TT updates!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripjean wrote:
I will try and do a search for Mike Alders Fix.

To save you the trouble try clicking Here It seems to have sorted my 720/ 930 out, but then again who knows when the stuttering might start up again - if you want to try it out please make a full back up of the device BEFORE messing around with this - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripjean wrote:
Dennis, on TT latest map webpage it says that you can download as many times as you like within the 30 days so I assumed that meant if I downloaded 8.15 on the first day, if they brought out V8.2 maps on day 10 and V8.3 on day 20 (highly unlikely I know!) i could upgrade to all of them as they are within the 30 day LMG?

Now how sure are you of your facts? I cannot claim to be an expert, so I logged into TT website and found the following paragraph about LMG.
Quote:
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download. You can check if there is a new map version available as many times as you like within this period.
I think you may find the items I've coloured make it clear that you get once chance at it only.

There is certainly the chance of at least two newer maps during the 30 day period .. For example, on 1st January you buy a new 920, but it's been sitting in the shop for some time and was preloaded in the factory before that, so the map is version 700. Back on 11th November, map 800 was released - it's obviously more up to date than your map, so you'd be entitled to it. But if you hang on and don't download that one, it turns out that map 900 is released earlier than expected, on 25th January - within 30 days of you using the 920, so you could get "Latest" map 900. (NOTE - These are all fictitious map versions using round figures to make it easier for me to follow). If you download map 800, you'll jigger your entitlement to map 900.

So .... Before going for LMG, you need to know which map version you have installed, then which is the latest map version, then how long that latest map has been on release, in case it's getting close to next new map - TT have more or less half promised four map updates a year. So if the latest map was released 1 1/2 months ago, it might be possible to grit your teeth and hang on in the hope that a new map comes out before your 30 days is up. Right at this moment in time, I'd do that if I bought a new device on or after 10th January, because I personally am guessing a new map will come out at the end of January or early February - this is absolute pure speculation on my part and I know at least one someone who doesn't agree. My speculation is fuelled by the "usual" TT special offer of discounts on the current latest map downloads, prior to releasing new ones. Trouble is, only TT know when the new ones will be released.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: