Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap rubbish sensitivity
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap rubbish sensitivity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Satmap rubbish sensitivity Reply with quote

Just got an Active 10 for Xmas plus UK 1:50K etc BUT the GPS seems like rubbish / junk / useless - takes forever for cold start, wont get a signal in a conservatory, its almost worse than the old Garmin eTrex. Finally got a lock leaving it in the middle of the back garden, but same problem an hour later cwhen switching it on again.

Am I missing something here - my eTrex Vista Hx gets a signal anywhere.
Does it need software updating or is just junk

Actual unit, interface etc very good, but a bit pointless if it performs like Garmins from 5 years ago.

Thanks

ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Welcome to the forum.

I have just tested mine from cold,not been switched on for two days,and it took 6 minutes 20secs for a good satellite lock.That is inside the house,away from the window with curtains drawn.

Don't know if there is anything wrong with your unit but I used to find with the Garmin60CS that the initial satellite aquisition from new ( I had it replaced three times ) was better if it was done in an area that was well open to the sky like a playing field,subsequent locks were then much better.I did the same with the SatMap and have have not had the problem you have experienced.

As far as I am aware the initial lock will always take longer as the GPS needs to download almanac data which gets outdated if it has not been switched on for a while.

I should take it out tomorrow to a place with open sky and try again.

If I am "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" I apologise,just a few suggestions.

If your bad experience continues perhaps a phone call/e-mail to SatMap may be helpful.I would also check that you are running the latest firmware as I believe this enhanced satellite aquisition.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Satmap response Reply with quote

I have got an eTrex, old eTrex Vista and new eTrex Vista Hx also use Leica GPS for job - I am a Land Surveyor, but find the satMap painfully slow to get a fix.

I could not find anywhere, other than inside buildings, where the eTrex Vista Hx would not get a fix. It had no problems in dense woods. The Satmap Active 10 is nothing liked as good, it is the same as the old eTrex, only works with an open sky, and ideal conditions.

Assuming my unit is not faulty then I guess the firmware is useless. I think it uses the same antenna as the Garmin, then difference being the firmware / processing.

It should get a cold fix in a minute or two and a warm fix in under a minute even in difficult locations. Otherwise it is not fit for purpose. I got it to keep track of searches in Mountain Rescue.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assuming my unit is not faulty......

Why would you want to do that?
Do you WANT all Satmaps to be bad?
For what possible reason?

I own a Satmap, and have used two others.
Mine found itself "out of the box" in 5 mins, and now never takes longer than a minute from cold. It works inside my house, and under heavy tree cover.

Let's assume you have a duff one.
SEND IT BACK!

Roger
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Satmap rubbish sensitivity Reply with quote

ian2u wrote:
Actual unit, interface etc very good, but a bit pointless if it performs like Garmins from 5 years ago.

It is a bit slow to lock on - though will lock on in doors unlike my eTrex, (but that is normally faster to lock on after power down) - but once locked on it is pretty solid (similar to Garmin).

However the Garmins don't do OS maps as well (may change) - so a little patience and it all works OK when out in the countryside (if in town grabbing TomTom out of car is usually a better bet finding way around anyway)
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Satmap rubbish sensitivity Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:

However the Garmins don't do OS maps as well

erm.. yes they do.

Garmin Oregon

Been out for a few months new, reports are that the screen is unreadable in sunlight though so not good.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Satmap rubbish sensitivity Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
JimmyTheHand wrote:

However the Garmins don't do OS maps as well

erm.. yes they do.

Garmin Oregon

Been out for a few months new, reports are that the screen is unreadable in sunlight though so not good.

Perhaps poorly phrased - but by "as well" - I meant not as good - as far as I can tell I can't get 1:25000 for most areas of UK
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just timed my SatMap to get a fix. It was showing a good spread of 6 satellites in just under two minutes but took a further two and a half minutes to show a position. But even then it was still showing a red cross in the top left hand corner rather than the 4 greens reception symbol so it wasn't fully convinced of its location.

Surely the reception of 6 satellites is more than enough to compute a position fix right away, so I feel it could function much quicker than it actually does.
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Satmap fixes Reply with quote

Out all day on a walk in moorland testing the Satmap and also using my Garmin eTrex Vista Hx as a comparison.

The Satmap is significantly slower to get a fix, takes 4 minutes or more from cold, at least 2 minutes from warm, shows 6 satellites BUT cant resolve a position and still takes an other minute.

Loses lock in vegetation and ground where the Garmin had no problems.

Feels like a processing problem - I am guessing Garmin / satmap use similar OEM for the antenna / hardwear and the difference is their processing with Garmin's being a lot better because they have a lot more experience.

The performance is about halfway between the old eTrex and the new ones with the High sensitivity antennas.

Its OK since the hardwear design and the user interface is good but it still needs to get better fairly quickly.

One problem - I think unrelated - it doesnt seem to recognise the map card - I have a card with 1:25K maps - when switching on, you have to take the card out and reinsert it. I assume this is a fault because it would make no sense to have to re-insert the card each time. Anyone else had this?

Firmware is 1.20
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian I think that sadly you have a faulty unit. I suggest you ring SatMap on Monday.

Most of us just turn on the unit while putting our boots (or whatever) on and then it is ready to go. I'm not saying that the lock is instant and that heavy vegetation does not reduce accuracy but with the latest software the problems you mention appear unusual to me and I suspect most other users.

Better luck in future.

Despite my occasional moans about SatMap I find the unit a very useful one and would not want to swap it.
Satsync 1.525
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

I concur with Mike,I think you must have a faulty unit.As I said in my previous post my SatMap holds a lock rock solid in the house,no problem.I have just fired it up from cold again and got a lock in a few minutes.

There is definately a problem with your map card/unit if you need to reinsert it every time.

SatMap will I am sure sort you out.If you need to return it don't forget to ask for the Freepost address ( if you don't have a return label ) and you won't pay postage plus it is next day signed delivery.

Ian
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Firmware Reply with quote

Problem resolved.

Its the firmware having problems with the data size on the SD card, 4Gb, all UK at 50K and 9000 sq/km of 25K.

Firmware 1.300 has sorted it out, although satellite lock still slower to acquire and hold than Garmin Hx's - offset though by a much better designed unit and interface than the Garmin.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Glad to hear you have it all sorted out,

The question that everyone will want to know however is where did you get firmware 1.3 from ?

It isn't on the SatMap site.

Ian
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Ian,

Glad to hear you have it all sorted out,

The question that everyone will want to know however is where did you get firmware 1.3 from ?

It isn't on the SatMap site.

Ian

From SatMap - they quickly worked out that the problem was the data size and that this had been fixed in 1.30 so they sent me a Beta of 1.3.
Very helpful bunch of people - I guess its what you can get with smaller companies staffed by enthusiasts.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap rubbish sensitivity Reply with quote

rothers wrote:

erm.. yes they do.

Garmin Oregon

The Oregon has been out for few months but the OS mapping has only just been released and even then only for a limited area. It's a nice multi-task device but not a serious competitor IMHO.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: