Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software Release - 1.231 and Routes available.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software Release - 1.231 and Routes available.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
eranou wrote:

It baffles me as to why people believe that SatMap would release any important GB updates to the Dutch market ahead of the UK. After all, they are a UK based company, so it would make sense that they release any important updates to their Uk base initially.

My what seems to be 'hidden agenda' issue is that SatMap are not providing sufficient info to us so we could easily end up installing an inappropriate update. As you say it is quite baffling what SatMap are doing; they make promises about site features such as the route planner; one minute make it available, then remove it, but never an explanation. Obviously communication to users is not on their list of priorities. It would make sense that they release any important updates to their UK base initially, but if SatMap NL are not speaking to SatMap UK then maybe not. Who knows, it must be top secret or highly commercially sensitive!

eranou Almost by definition it's not an important GB update as it was posted to a Dutch language website and makes references that are applicable to the Dutch owners (eg datums). The fact that it has additional functionallity is just a by-product of the single code development system they will be using. It makes much more sense to do releases in the way they have done - otherwise the development/support issues get a bit more complex.

J-K I suspect they (SatMap) would question the "we could easily end up installing an inappropriate update" as the average GB user would have to work quite hard to find it (the first time). And as it seems to state it is for the NL version of the product then they would simply turn around and say sorry but it's not supported....

There have been numerous precedences for this sort of behaviour. I myself am the proud owner of a GARMIN GPSII+ with rel 2.17 of the firmware. The latest published and downloadable version is/was 2.07. They never issued an 'official' fix for the older version of the II+ - I guess anyone who reported the problem got the same firmware as me e-mailed to them. They did release a newer GPSII+ unit with modified hardware and V3 firmware though!
eranou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

That makes perfect sense. From another post in the forum it looks like we will be getting a software update this week.

J-K - I agree with you, there are communication issues with SatMap as a company but i'm sure they will become better with time. I can see why this would put a great number of people off purchasing the unit. But, it's such a great product though.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

J-K I suspect they (SatMap) would question the "we could easily end up installing an inappropriate update" as the average GB user would have to work quite hard to find it (the first time). And as it seems to state it is for the NL version of the product then they would simply turn around and say sorry but it's not supported....

I can't see anywhere that it says it is an update only for the NL version though I'm probably missing the obvious somewhere. Should a user be a UK/NL multinational or just frequent visitor between the countries, I doubt that he/she wouldn't think twice that the update might not be appropriate. Anyhow good to read that a UK update is imminent.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: