Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software Release - 1.231 and Routes available.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software Release - 1.231 and Routes available.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
As it has been stated before it is unlikely that Satmap read or monitor these forums so please all of you if you feel the need to type an email then make sure you send it to Satmap.

John, I can assure you (and others) that SatMap do read this forum quite often Wink - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johno,

Already done so,reply from SatMap on another thread.

Ian
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the v1.231 update from SatMap's Dutch pages. Is there any reason why it may be a bad idea to install it on the SatMap right away?

It is strange the international pages on SatMap's site are out of sync with each other.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
I have just downloaded the v1.231 update from SatMap's Dutch pages. Is there any reason why it may be a bad idea to install it on the SatMap right away?

If it was tested, stable and working for all devices don't you think they'd make it available to all?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
J-K wrote:

If it was tested, stable and working for all devices don't you think they'd make it available to all?

That's the 64,000 dollar question. If it isn't OK, why foister it on Dutch users?!

One reason maybe because it only includes extra map datum for Dutch maps that wouldn't be useful for UK users, but it would be useful if SatMap could make that clear on their web pages and downloads. But if it includes stability improvements then surely all users would benefit wherever they are.
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't install 1.231....I spoke to a girl in the tech team and she said '...on no account should you install the update to a UK unit as there are certain changes to map datums etc. that will render the unit unusable'!!!

I suggested that actually quite a few people may do that very thing as it's freely available, clearly a later version than 1.20 and previous experience with aviation/hill/car GPS units leads folk to assume that the base O/S is the same across Europe, it's normally the map data that changes - she didn't see it that way and suggested I shouldn't be looking at the Dutch site anyway (I'm not making that up for effect)!!

I really am losing the will to live with their comms folk. She did however say she was in the process of revamping the website - well, just hope I'm allowed to view it all... Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they ought to have a warning but anyone who installs a firmware release found whilst ferreting around on areas of the site intended for other markets surely has to accept some responsibility for any issues that arise subsequently?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Perhaps they ought to have a warning but anyone who installs a firmware release found whilst ferreting around on areas of the site intended for other markets surely has to accept some responsibility for any issues that arise subsequently?

Maybe, but it's highly likely that a UK person my with to visit Holland with their SM and want to have the latest Dutch software to use while they are there, the update is provided with no health warning for UK users. Then what about Dutch users visiting the UK; why render their units U/S for their holidays. Goodness gracious, one part of the SatMap company is operating in isolation to the rest. Mr Manager in charge, where are you??
eranou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cannot see what the problem is here. The software release is clearly not intended for the UK market as it's being released on the Dutch page. Common sense should dictate that you should not attempt to install the update on a UK unit due to the comments that Ian mentioned in his earlier post, after talking to SatMap tech.

How could anyone download a software update from a foreign webpage, need to translate in order to understand and then not realise that the update is not intended for the UK market?

I'm not having a go at anyone here, just trying to make a point. I certainly wouldn't download and install. I'm sure that the warranty could be jeapordised by this type of action.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with eranou on this,but just out of curiosity I wonder how Garmin etc. get round it as they seem to produce one software update for the whole world.

I have never seen any instructions regarding not downloading certain updates because you live in a particular country.

Ian
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A roughly translated version of the release notes wrote:

Changes in version 1,231

1. Language choice. By the installing, the new software of the users gives to put the possibility the language in. The Active 10 becomes then geared to the accompanying GPS-position. When you select for instance English, becomes the GPS standard geared to Great-Brittannië.

2. Edge scale for the cards. The edge levels so have been adapted that the device now switches over on a level that a vloeiender transition gives between scale 1:1,000,000 and scale 1:250.000.

3. Control oplader. When you the oplader eliminate, goes the screen at round certainly to let us assume that the user know that the device yet at state. (Loan on: the processor remains at when the battery becomes loaded up as a part of the safeties system that keeps up how much be in a position to the lithiumbatterij yet has).

4. New coördinatenschema's: the UTM- and MGRS-coördinatenschema' s have been added, gives what the users the possibility to look in the foreign country on local printed cards for the gridreferenties (as that there be).

5. Information over route / waypoints. The height of a waypoint to check most place you the threads cross on the desired point, after which you the joystick in the middle indrukt. Now appeared the route card. When you press on the button Profile, appeared the height on the screen with the relevant waypoint.

6. Cards load. The manner on which the memory becomes uses, has been improved cards faster can load. Cards of large areas (as that of half Great-Brittannië) work now more efficiently.

7. Accuracy of the GPS. Instead of "Excellent" [excellent] becomes the accuracy now expressed in figures, for instance 5 meters (NB: this is an average dear).

8. Sunset / sunrise. The calculations before dawn and sunset are rewritten and now yet more accurate.

9. Maximum speed. The maximum speed, by which the Active 10 uses can become have been raised, (he is now operational by speeds until 1250 km/you, but we go of it from that not many customers that need at will have!).

10. SDHC-support: this software High Capacity SD-cards supports give, what us the possibility to set round larger areas on one memory card.

Note in particular '1' "When you select for instance English, becomes the GPS standard geared to Great-Brittannië." That it is this update makes the unit multi-region and specifically mentions it is for use in GB, and '6' & '10' references to SDHC cards containing the whole of the UK working better.

A bit bad if it doesn't work in GB, eh? Remember this is an official update from the SatMap web site.

eranou wrote:
How could anyone download a software update from a foreign webpage, need to translate in order to understand and then not realise that the update is not intended for the UK market?

What makes you now believe that it isn't intended for SatMaps purchased in the UK, only Dutch purchased ones?

Edit: It would be useful if SatMap could explain themselves somewhere as to why this shouldn't be installed on UK purchased SatMaps. Maybe a post here or on their website... anywhere... anywhere... anywhere...
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What makes you now believe that it isn't intended for SatMaps purchased in the UK, only Dutch purchased ones?

I note that item 7. Accuracy of the GPS. Instead of "Excellent" [excellent] becomes the accuracy now expressed in figures, for instance 5 meters ...
My UK 1.2 has always had accuracy in figures.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resisted contributing to this thread so far as it refers to Active 10 NL, rather than Active 10 GB that most of us have. Different products on account of OS mapping not covering Holland.

However, in reply to Jonebach, are you sure you are running version 1.2?

This is the changelog for version 1.2. Point 7 seems the same as the Duch version, as do many of the other points.

1. Language Selection. When first installed, the new software allows users to select the operating language. Whatever language is selected, the unit is then set for the appropriate GPS position: i.e. selecting English sets up the GPS default to Great Britain.

2. Map Zoom Scales. The zoom levels have been adjusted so that the unit now switches over at a level that provides a smoother transition from the 1:1m to the 1:250k mapping.

3. Charger Control. When the charger is disconnected, the screen will turn on to ensure the user knows the unit is still on. (Note: the processor stays on when the battery is being charged as part of the safety system that monitors the charge state of the lithium battery).

4. New Coordinate Schemes: the UTM and the MRGS coordinate schemes have been added, which allows users to refer to local printed maps when travelling overseas to acquire grid references (if they are available).

5. Route / Waypoint Information. To check the elevation at a waypoint, place the cross hairs at the relevant point and centre press the joystick. The Route Map then appears: press the Profile button and the elevation will be shown, with the relevant waypoint indicated.

6. Map Loading. The way the memory is being used has been improved to allow maps to load faster, and the large area maps (such as the half GB) to run more efficiently.

7. GPS Accuracy. Instead of saying ?Excellent?, the accuracy is now given as a number e.g. 5m (Note: this is an average reading.)

8. Sunset / Sunrise. The calculations for sunrise and set have been re-

written to be more accurate.
9. Max Speed. The maximum operating speed of the unit has now been increased (in fact, it will operate at up to 780mph ? but we trust that not many of our customers will need this feature!)

10.SDHC Supported: High Capacity SD Cards are now supported by this software, allowing us to supply larger areas on one SD card.
eranou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:

This is the changelog for version 1.2. Point 7 seems the same as the Duch version, as do many of the other points.

It would seem that the whole changelog is very similar if not identical.

J-K - "What makes you now believe that it isn't intended for SatMaps purchased in the UK, only Dutch purchased ones?"

The fact that they have released the update on the Dutch page leads me to believe that it's intended for the Dutch market, there are probably updates specific to Dutch data/datums. The fact that the changelogs are the same means nothing as the version numbers are different.

This probably means that the Dutch market have had more changes made to the software over several more version numbers, hence the differing version number.

It baffles me as to why people believe that SatMap would release any important GB updates to the Dutch market ahead of the UK. After all, they are a UK based company, so it would make sense that they release any important updates to their Uk base initially.

Richard
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eranou wrote:

It baffles me as to why people believe that SatMap would release any important GB updates to the Dutch market ahead of the UK. After all, they are a UK based company, so it would make sense that they release any important updates to their Uk base initially.

My what seems to be 'hidden agenda' issue is that SatMap are not providing sufficient info to us so we could easily end up installing an inappropriate update. As you say it is quite baffling what SatMap are doing; they make promises about site features such as the route planner; one minute make it available, then remove it, but never an explanation. Obviously communication to users is not on their list of priorities. It would make sense that they release any important updates to their UK base initially, but if SatMap NL are not speaking to SatMap UK then maybe not. Who knows, it must be top secret or highly commercially sensitive!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: