Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Get Go 40x or stay with Go 720?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Get Go 40x or stay with Go 720?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Get Go 40x or stay with Go 720? Reply with quote

Hello all

Respected members, need advice please.

I have Go 720 (application 8.300, Map 710). Since I heard about Go 40 series, I thought of not updating the maps.

Now I am in two minds. I was inclined to buy Go 540 and have seen posts in these forums off and on but there is nothing big for or against it. (unless I missed something)

I have PGPS camemara database (and am happy with that) but also wanted traffic info. RDS works kind of OK on my device but I found tomtom traffic updates were always availiable and superior to RDS's (only my personal view). Also read that the device to get HD traffic with 720 is not going to be launched any time soon.

So would users of Go 40 series please advise if I am better off with updating to latest maps in Go 720 or go for Go 40x.

One thing that has really irritated me and can be a point of make or break for me is that I have always been unhappy with the "lag" or slowness of my device. I had Go 500 which was superb because there was absolutely no difference in my actual position and the map position. Go 720 is no comparison to that. And now with the update to App 8.300, it takes more time in "listening" to or showing commands, menu etc.

One instance is: it tells me "turn right and then take the first left". Now when I have turned right, it does not immediately show me the next turn....ie the first left. I once spoke to TomTom sevice who asked me to download flash memory, which I did to no avail.

So if the GO 40 series is any better and faster, I would buy it definitely but if that is beset with same problems, I would choose to just update the maps and stay with Go 720.

One more question: If I get Go 540, will I be able to use the additional SD card with Europe maps, if I need to trave in Europe?

Sorry for this longish post but please help me choose a wiser couorse of action.

best

RATOM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Go 40x or stay with Go 720? Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
One more question: If I get Go 540, will I be able to use the additional SD card with Europe maps, if I need to trave in Europe?

The x40 devices use the tiny Micro SD otherwise called "TransFlash" memory cards, they will work with these cards up to a maximum capacity of 32GB, and yes you can store/ use maps from the memory card.

If you use the mp3 player on your 720 then you might be disapointed to find the 540 and 740 don't have this capability - if you need mp3 player on the device then consider the 940

I haven't noticed any positional lagging with the 940 but it is very noticable running 8,300 on the 720 when you encounter roundabouts or other complicated road layouts - I would wait a week or two to see if a new software release can fix this issue on the 720.

I would also put the 720 back to the Navcore version 8,010 as you are using the v710 maps with it - running 8,300 will only give you issues with the voice/ slow map refresh and no FM Tx, you gain nothing at all using 8,300 with the v710 map on your device - Mike
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 540 and turn the map overlays off.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Go 40x or Go 720? Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your reply.

No I don't use Go 720 for either FM or music/MP3...And I am not very passionate about it.

Any Tomtom version that sorts out positional lagging is more than welcome.

Will wait for a week or two to see if any new software patch is released or not.

However, one thing I would request your help on is HOW to revert to Navcore version 8,010....?

Also, if I don't buy Go 540 but update the maps on Go 720, will I have to install once again Navcore version 8.300 or higher to be able to download updated maps?

And any news on the device that can be used in conjuction with 720 to get HD traffic from Tomtom?

Your help is much appreciated.

best
RATOM
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larok

Noted with thanks

RATOM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 40x or Go 720? Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
However, one thing I would request your help on is HOW to revert to Navcore version 8,010....?

Have a read through the post I made Here it should explain what what to do.

RATOM wrote:
Also, if I don't buy Go 540 but update the maps on Go 720, will I have to install once again Navcore version 8.300 or higher to be able to download updated maps?

To get the latest maps you will need to be runnings the Navcore 8,300 or newer (when made available) software.

RATOM wrote:
And any news on the device that can be used in conjuction with 720 to get HD traffic from Tomtom?

No news at all on this, whether it will ever be introduced to the UK isn't known. - Mike
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged Mike

You are always helpful

RATOM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: