Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - KENWOOD KVT 522 DVD software and installation issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

KENWOOD KVT 522 DVD software and installation issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t16tomcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: KENWOOD KVT 522 DVD software and installation issues Reply with quote

Model number: KVT 522 DVD & KNA G421

Question(s): I have three problems, not GPS/POI related but on the main unit. If anyone has one and they have the same problems, maybe you can point me in the right direction:

1. I would like to change the user background picture on the screen. Now as far as I can tell (ref p68 on the instruction manual) I need to press background change and the memory button and then follow a few buttons etc to make the changes. However, whatever setup I try do I always have the change, memory and delete buttons grayed out and not functioning. I do not seem to be able to find any way to “un-grey” these buttons so as to be able to use the function. Also it is not clear how I create the picture and on what format I use to upload it. As far as I can tell, I need to create a .jpg file for upload and currently I have tried this by both adding this as a jpg file on the SD card, no response and also by burning it on to a CD Rom where I have had some limited success in it seeing the file but I cannot access it as the same boxes are grayed out. Any ideas what I have to do to enable me to be able to upload this file.

2. I have had fitted the KVT 522 DVD & KNA G421 into a BMW 1 Series coupe E82 and the car has a BMW feature called Efficient dynamics as standard. The way it works is that when you come to a halt at traffic lights or similar, the engine stops to save fuel. As soon as you put it back in gear and depress the clutch the engine automatically restarts. However on this restart the Kenwood turns off and resets itself, coming on 5 – 8 second later. This is very annoying but nobody can tell me a way to stop this happening. I know that you need x2 12v inputs but I assume one of these is via the ignition and this cuts on restart. What can I do about it ?

3. Finally I have fitted the kenwood / BMW steering wheel adaptor for remote use, however this only partially functions. The up down button to advance say an audio track functions on the first press, however it will not then allow me any additional presses. I therefore can only use it once on any journey and it will only function again if I restart the engine. Also the mode button does not function at all i.e., DVD to IPod to Tuner function. Volume up and down is fine.

Do you have any answers for any of these issues or can you point me in the direction of someone who can. This is all very frustrating on what is otherwise a great unit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Number 2 you will need to locate a supply in the vehicle that isn't switched by the car starter circuit, quite a few cars these days reduce the standing load on the cars battery by load shedding to de-power non-essential circuits while cranking on the starter motor, these often include heaters, wipers, lights etc - the trick is to find a fuse that isn't switched - Hazzard light circuit is a good bet. To check this put the Hazzards on and see if they stop when you start the car during the cranking phase.

Once you have located the permenant live wire put an inline fuse in circuit for safety and couple both wires for the Kenwood to it.

Problem now is the device will not auto power on/ off with the ignition key so you will have to switch it on/ off from the decks own power switch - Mike
t16tomcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Getting there Reply with quote

Thank you Mike, that is a good start, though quite how i make sure i switch it off and don't drain the battery will be the next challenge. I'm sure someone will have a bright idea.

No 1. has been solved, i need to plug a usb stick in where the ipod input is at the moment and then it will work apparently, shame the manual doesn't tell you that !!

So it is a further fix to No 2. and ideas for no 3. Has anybody else got this unit fitted to a BMW with Efficent Dynamics, does yours work properly ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire the feed to the stereo through a switch then you can manually turn off the power to the stereo, not ideal but are there any unused switch blanks fitted in the vehicle which could be used for a small switch? - Mike
Anonymous999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting there Reply with quote

t16tomcat wrote:
Thank you Mike, that is a good start, though quite how i make sure i switch it off and don't drain the battery will be the next challenge. I'm sure someone will have a bright idea.

No 1. has been solved, i need to plug a usb stick in where the ipod input is at the moment and then it will work apparently, shame the manual doesn't tell you that !!

So it is a further fix to No 2. and ideas for no 3. Has anybody else got this unit fitted to a BMW with Efficent Dynamics, does yours work properly ?

Could someone explain the No1 above

My friend has a kenwood 522DVD and for the life of me i cannot get it to accept the speed camera pois.

Does the above mean i need to plug a usb stick in with the pois on or plug a usb stick in and run the cd or dvd with the pois on ?

cheers dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: