Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free Update for new purchase 760?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Update for new purchase 760?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seanscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Free Update for new purchase 760? Reply with quote

I bought a new 760 from Halfords today and was under the impression that I should be entitled to update to the latest version of the European Maps (2009). When I logged on to Garmin my software was updated to 4.20 but no free map update was offered. I did get told that there was an update available to 2009 but at cost!

Did I misinterpret the Garmin guarantee to latest maps?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to register the unit at MyGarmin first, then you should be offered the free upgrade.
Seanscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did register at Garmin and created MyGarmin account - then I was offered the software update but not the map update!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take it up with Garmin Support. The unit captures the date and time it has satellite lock and is moving for 20 seconds (or similar). This is then set as the first date / time of use and the the free update is decided upon this date and time.

However occasionally it goes wrong. Garmin should sort it out for you.
jaysel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one yesterday from Halfords, and I managed to get the Map update. To get it, I went to myGarmin - myMaps - Manage Maps, and I think I clicked on something that mentioned 'Order free Map update' (can't remember too well, sorry!), it then checked my device id, and downloaded MapInstall. This then went off and downloaded a 2.5 Gb file called Garmin_RMU_CNEUNT2009.exe.
Also, some hours after registering, I received an email, Subject: Free Map Update Order Confirmation. This thanked me for ordering the City Navigator® Europe NT 2009 Map Update for your nüvi® 760, with a link to the software (which I'd alrady downloaded by then anyway).
Sorry to be vague - but I played for hours with it, connecting to various mapping software that I can't remember exactly all I did (incidentally, importing tracking into Google Earth is a great way of seeing where you've been)
jaysel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a thought - why not download the Garmin MapInstall program manually, and run it - this should pull the map update down. Worth a try?
Seanscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried all that was suggested but haven't had the offer of the free download! Only an invitation to buy! I'll wait until tomorrow and give Garmin a ring as Paul suggests. Thanks
fdhadi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that your device has been used as a demo in the shop. My son had the same problem with a 710t he bought from Motorworld. We took it back and after getting 2 other units which had the same problem we got our money back. One of the units we were given had been used as a shop demo for 9months and sold to us as brand new.

The chap at motorworld just couldn't get his head around the fact that we wanted a brand new unit and not one that had been used.

Also just a thought, the Halford's 760's do not have the free traffic info. You need a 760t for this which you can buy elsewhere for the same price Wink .
Seanscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I've been in touch with Garmin who have pointed out that "in order to qualify for the freemap update your unit must have acquired a satellite fix before registration" . This is obviously quite important and should be noted for all new buyers. What followed was that they cancelled my registration and advised me to re-register after acquiring a satellite fix.

All's well and the download is in progress!

Thanks but I'm sure I'll be back with other queries!
jaysel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes - sorry. I forgot to mention that bit. I had to leave mine for about 5 minutes outside to do some sort of satellite registration.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you register the unit for the first time Garmin gets the date and time that the unit had it's first satellite lock for 20 seconds to prevent repeated or delayed applications for free maps. I assumed you'd already done this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: