Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP SUBMITTING A NEW SPEED CAMERA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP SUBMITTING A NEW SPEED CAMERA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
what about submitting photos of the camera to verify it?

The photo could be of any camera, anywhere"

A geo-tagged picture would be much better than a simple snap, some phones offer this capability these days - Mike
fordfocusmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far too technical for me Laughing Out Loud ..
i have no idea what a geo tagged photo is
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the right kit it is very easy to do, it lets anyone with a PC see where the picture was taken on the planets surface via Google Earth, or simply read the Lat/ Long where you were stood when you took the picture, have a look Here
Well you did say you didn't know what the term was meaning Wink - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: being the first to submit a camera:

on friday i added a new bit of info to the submission map page
Quote:
Map shows all cameras submitted and processed up to: 2008-11-28 09:03:32

so there is no way to know if you were the first to submit a camera - only that by 9.03 am on friday there hadn't been a submission processed at that location.

re: geo-tagged photo's

i'm not convinced by their usefulness anymore... the lat/lon are stored in the EXIF data which is very easy to manipulate...

MaFt
fordfocusmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i find out when and who submitted a camera 1st.
I submitted a camera and it was verifed by Andy_P and now it has appeared on this weeks release, but it seems i haven't been given an reward, so i'm trying to find out who submitted it and when before me as i seriously thought i was the 1st to submit that camera.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please. please don't take this the wrong way, but it's simply not possible for MaFt to do all the research involved EVERY TIME someone asks this.

If you get notified, you were the first... If you don't, you weren't, it's as simple as that.

As this has been discussed over and over again, can we point you to the FAQs:
Quote:
Q. I've submitted a brand new camera, but I haven't received my free membership. Why?

A. We get 1000s of submissions every month and it is not unusual for new cameras to be submitted by several different people.

The verification process can take about a month, but is often sooner.

You will receive a separate Free Lifetime Membership email if you have submitted a camera that is consequently verified by us and you were the first to submit it. If you don't receive a email, please check http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account every now and then to see if we have extended your subscription. If we haven't, then your submission wasn't successful.

Where the submission was both verified and first, we will of course always extend all memberships automatically whether or not there is email communication, for instance if your ISP blocked our email as commercial.

I'm sure there are several other links to further reading that the admin can provide.

In your particular case, as we discussed, your original submission may have had the wrong camera type and definitely had the wrong heading data. If someone else provided the correct information before you corrected yours, there's not a lot anyone can do.
fordfocusmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate what you say Andy but this always seems unfair
I have submitted cameras before and once again not achieved anything.
There seems no point in submitting the cameras, because it is so hard to get a lifetime reward.
I would be nice to know who is 1st and exactly how many submitted a particular camera, becase the way the current system works, its not worth doing it anymore.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the real reason for submitting cameras is to make the database more accurate for everyone? If your prime concern is to get something for nothing, then may I respectfully suggest that this is not the place to do it.

With the current reduction in the annual subscription, a cost of less than 5p per day for a facility that could save you a £60 fine and three points seems to me to be a no-brainer.

Please keep submitting - I will, whenever I see a new / removed / changed site. If I get a Lifetime membership, I'll say 'Thanks' if I don't, I'll say 'maybe next time'.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have submitted cameras before and once again not achieved anything.

Because you weren't the first or your submissions didn't qualify for an award.

Quote:
There seems no point in submitting the cameras, because it is so hard to get a lifetime reward.

If you have a look around then you'll see that simply is not true. Many people have LifeTime Membership tags under their Names. Many NON-LifeTime Members have been here much longer than you and have submitted many more cameras than you and still they don't complain.

Quote:
I would be nice to know who is 1st and exactly how many submitted a particular camera,

Sure and as has been pointed out before the amount of time it takes to check just one submission makes it prohibitive to do so.

Quote:
because the way the current system works, its not worth doing it anymore.

Then you are doing it for all the wrong reasons. No "sense of community"? No-one owes you a LifeTime Sub for anything. It's a reward. Not payment.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what good will it do if you are told who the first person was to report it? All you'll know is a Username, which won't be yours, because somebody else was first. How is this going to help you?

By the way, I'm a lifetime member, and I continue to submit cameras when I see them, for no added benefit to myself - not because I want to stop somone else from receiving Lifetime Membership, but because I want to see the quality of the data available on this site to be of the highest quality possible.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:

By the way, I'm a lifetime member, and I continue to submit cameras when I see them

Same here....

And why be a verifier as well? We get nothing for it except a warm feeling inside!

To verify "your" camera meant a detour of a couple of miles and a good 1/2 hour extra in rush hour traffic, but often the "detours" are a lot bigger than that. That all costs - me. But I do it for the general good.

You may have noticed that the camera is now in the database as a "Redspeed" not a Monitron as you reported (llike I said, it *was* across a traffic-light controlled junction). That, along with the incorrect heading 's probably sufficient to lose you the credit even if you WERE the first. What makes you so sure you had to be the first, out of interest? If you saw it "in use" you probably weren't even close, there are often several reports "before the cement is dry" round the post.

I was going to go back and triple check for lines on the road for you (as without them it COULDN'T be a Monitron), but as I'm currently unemployed I wasn't sure how I could justify the petrol costs to make a specific journey just for that, especially when it is SUCH a busy route, there were sure to be hundreds of corroborating sightings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: