Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anybody found a solution to the TT 5 POI lag problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody found a solution to the TT 5 POI lag problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Anybody found a solution to the TT 5 POI lag problem? Reply with quote

Hello again,

I remember last time I updated my POIs I had a big lag problem - I'd get the 1fps issue until I disabled all my POIs, then it would return to its silky smooth previous operation (I'm using TT5.21 with GB Plus on an old XDA2i running WM2003SE, hence why I'm sticking with TT5).

I updated my PGPSW POIs again to the latest db, and I had the same problem again - with POIs enabled, it ran slow as a a dog, but with all POIs turned off, TomTom's screen update speed is fantastic (at least 40/50fps).

I think before I thought I'd fixed it by deselecting and then reenabling all the POIs, but this time around this hasn't worked (I use the speed zoned complete as all of my driving is in and out of cities via motorways, and I have - well, had - alerts set up for each type and speed).

Even with just a handful of POIs selected - say, seven or eight pmobiles and one mobile, just to test - and with a route demo along the M42, the screen update is still a bit jerky and the framerate is probably 10/15fps. I've tried everything I can think of, even deleting some POI manually inside TT and/or deleting all POI from the device, taking out the SD card and rebooting the machine then reinserting, loading TT and waiting 30 seconds for it to cache all of the map and THEN performing tests... Nothing I seem to do will resolve this problem.

Given that my presumed fix doesn't actually seem to be fixing the problem now, can anybody else think of what might be causing it? All suggestions welcome...

Thanks in advance! Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the "Warn When Near POI" option and disable the "show POI on map" this should give you the speed back as it reduces the burden on the processor. Also make sure you have no other applications running in the back ground - Mike
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the idea of only warning when near POI was one I'd not considered (I'd noticed that hiding POIs really sped up the refresh).

It does make a (positive) difference with POIs hidden, even if you then start to disable the only warn on route option - I can live with being warned of the POIs when I'm driving around if I don't have a route defined as long as I get the audible warning (and the icon on-screen) when I'm near.

I'm still wondering what the root cause of this was though, because I could swear blind before that I had Show POIs enabled and it just worked happily, even with the full range of cameras enabled - I used to have all the traffic light cams showing all the time so I'd have to have it enabled for that. What could possibly be making TT lag so hard?

Veeeeeery very strange.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to remember that POI files don't need to be enabled for you to use them, even disabled they are still available as nav to or find nearest to you current position.
If you enable the POI files they do sap the processor and the result is often observed as a slow screen refresh rate - Mike
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true - thanks for the tips. I didn't realise that you didn't have to display the POIs for them to be active (I suppose that's where TT5's "Enable/Disable POIs" option text is a bit misleading!

It's not the perfect solution to my problem because before I had a ton displaying on the map itself all the time, and it didn't lag, so something else has gone wonky between this and the last POI update... Something I'll have to play about with at a later date. For now, it's quite useable though with three or four POIs displaying all the time and the rest just triggering alerts Smile

(you wouldn't happen to know where POI display preferences are stored on the device? It's not in the compressed POI.dat is it?)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the XDA-IIi have a turbo mode? - if so have you switched that on - Mike
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always in Turbo mode ;) Running at 66MHz instead of 16 really makes that difference! :D

(let's see who remembers the P66)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: