Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM 720 To TOMtom 730
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM 720 To TOMtom 730
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frostbite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: TOMTOM 720 To TOMtom 730 Reply with quote

Hi all

Is it possible to reformat a 720 and get the new software for a 730 and load it onto the 720 AND is it now possible to use your speed camera database, instead of the crappy TOMTOM version, I used to use Lutz Bendlins version and it is way superior. Sorry for the two in one but I want to get back to using this site, Happy Christmas to all.

Frosty
Hughesynights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the x30 functionality (IQ2 and lane guidance) on your 720 you need to update to navcore 8.3 using home, then buy a map update to 815. You need both to get the new features.
However, some have had problems with Text To Speach voices stuttering after the navcore update. Check out AndyVaughan's post here for the solution.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Or wait for TT to sort it out (they MUST be working on it!).

and to answer your second question, yes you can certainly use the PGPSW camera database on the new machine and also have real voice (or text to speech) warning voices giving the appropriate speed limit - another thing you can't do with the TT-supplied one.

By the way.... there's absolutely no need to REFORMAT the 720 to give it the software and features of the 730. Simple updates are sufficient.
DC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: 720 or 730 Reply with quote

Hughesynights wrote:
To get the x30 functionality (IQ2 and lane guidance) on your 720 you need to update to navcore 8.3 using home, then buy a map update to 815. You need both to get the new features.
However, some have had problems with Text To Speach voices stuttering after the navcore update. Check out AndyVaughan's post here for the solution.

I was looking at getting a 730 but when I noticed the 720 is cheaper still I thought I would get the 720 and with the latest updates efectivly have a 730. But the way I read the reply, I would have to buy a map as well and therefore it would be better to just buy the 730, Is that right ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 720 should be supplied with a single free map upgrade to the latest release which does include the IQ2 Routes, Lane Assist and Reality view - check with the supplier prior to purchase though to be double sure - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that one Mike.

And make sure you ask them the right question. "Do your TT refurbs come with the single map upgrade voucher that TT offer with ALL their manufacturer refurbs ?"

I'm awaiting totalpda to confirm that and not my original question about LMG, which refurbs don't come with.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Devastator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
I'll second that one Mike.

And make sure you ask them the right question. "Do your TT refurbs come with the single map upgrade voucher that TT offer with ALL their manufacturer refurbs ?"

I'm awaiting totalpda to confirm that and not my original question about LMG, which refurbs don't come with.

Did totalpda ever get back to you on this one?
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replied via email D.

But for others...I spoke to total and they were non commital but this is a Tom Tom offer via Home and as their TTs are all TT refurbs it should offer you the map upgrade.

mark_pearce
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, can I just lob my three-penyworth in on this, in case it helps at all?

I, too, was looking at possible purchase of a refurb 720 from totalpda - (which ARE genuine, TomTom "manufacturer's refurb") according to totalpda.

I , too, was concerned to clarify whether the refurb unit would (or would NOT) come with a latest map guarantee (LMG), as this obviously has a bearing on the overall cost/value etc. of the deal.

After taking one or two fone calls to get a definitive answer, my informant told me that the 720 refurb sourced from them would NOT come with a LMG - even though it was a pukkah (i.e. TomTom remanufactured unit).

When considered further, I guess the asking price of the refurbed 720 (from totalpda) gave something of a clue, being CHEAPER then the same (or a closely equivalent TomTom) purchased direct from TomTom 's own "Outlet/refurbished" store by approximately the same price as the cost of purchasing the latest map.

In other words, a refurb or TomTom remanufactured unit purchased fromTomTom's "Outlet store' DOES come with the LMG (and this is reflected in the price!), whereas a genuine TomTom remanufactured unit bought from totalpda (and maybe other independent sources) does NOT come with LMG (and this too is reflected in the often lower asking price.

Hope this helps to clarify the issue (or at least give you a 'heads up' on this aspect BEFORE committing to any purchase) for anyone unsure of exactly what they may (or may NOT) be getting ... as I was.

Happy hunting

Mark Pearce
(TomTom Go 720; Navcore V8.010; Western Europe Map V7.20) Very Happy
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.
Spoke to TT and they told me today that I would get a one time map upgrade with the refurbs from totalpda when I logged onto Home....tricky huh ?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_pearce wrote:
Hi guys, can I just lob my three-penyworth in on this, in case it helps at all?

I'm not sure it does.....

The refurbs from the likes of Total PDA, DON'T come with a LMG - that's true.

But there are plenty of posts on the forums to say that they DO come with a single map update voucher, which amounts to exactly the same thing!
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and you don't get a piece of paper in the box...the "voucher" is online only with TT. This confuses the suppliers who will say there is nothing in the box.

DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is a voucher in the box when you buy from TotalPDA but you never use it - home updates you automatically.

DinAlt
C2k3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add....

I've just done exactly this - bought a TomTom "manufacturer's refurb" from TotalPDA.

It included LMG, but the voucher was not needed.

From reading here I took great care to update the software BEFORE using the LMG. Some say that the software might upgrade in two goes, or increments - mine simply applied one update. I also took the advice here and made several backups before doing anything at all!

In my reading I don't think I have come across anyone who has bought a TomTom "manufacturer's refurb" from TotalPDA, who hasn't also got the LMG, but you must satisfy yourself on this (ie I'm taking NO responsibility in this!) Smile

I have no connection with TPDA, and I'm very pleased with my purchase, and have had no voice problems at all, which some people are reporting after upgrading their units.

Mine was also cosmetically perfect.
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought two 720 refurb from Total PDA, upgraded both to 8.10.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: