Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile speed cameras!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile speed cameras!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mention of wheelie bins in this thread associated with mobile cameras reminds me that in the Poole area the council have stuck 30 mph signs to all the wheelie bins in certain roads and you can be sure that on bin collection day when they are all out on the kerb, the mobile camera van will be in one of the roads. This technique obviates the need for fixed or mobile warning signs and exerts pressure on motorists driving down all these roads on bin collection days. I'm not saying that I'm against several hundred warning signs at a time but only drawing to attention what councils can do!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
the Poole area the council have stuck 30 mph signs to all the wheelie bins in certain roads and you can be sure that on bin collection day when they are all out on the kerb, the mobile camera van will be in one of the roads. This technique obviates the need for fixed or mobile warning signs and exerts pressure on motorists driving down all these roads on bin collection days.
And must add dreadfully to the urban clutter and be quite an eyesore on bin day.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And must add dreadfully to the urban clutter and be quite an eyesore on bin day.

And I bet the people at No30 are not very happy neither when all the bins are returned after being emptied?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Loobyloo wrote:
I don't doubt that you are right but I cannot see the point of these cameras when surely the Mobile speed Cameras can read your numberplate and do the same thing Shocked

Technically they could but they're not connected to the DVLA Database and it is outside the remit of the Safety Camera Partnerships. The DVLA operate their own roadside checks.....

It's a slightly odd one all right.

I got stopped by the police at one of these checkpoints a few years ago. The police told me they couldn't take any action against me but they handed me over to a person from the DVLA who dealt with my expired tax disc. It seemed that the tax disc offence could only be enforced by the DVLA.

For the heinous crime of avoiding 6 weeks of road tax on my motorbike (someone had stolen the tax disc 9 months earlier and I didn't know it had expired), I was fined the princely sum of 16 quid. Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only £16? Lucky you didn't have your bike crushed Rolling Eyes

Very Happy Very Happy
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

For the heinous crime of avoiding 6 weeks of road tax on my motorbike (someone had stolen the tax disc 9 months earlier and I didn't know it had expired), I was fined the princely sum of 16 quid. Laughing

You got off lightly, failure to display a valid tax disc is a £30 FPN. Leave your bike on the street here and the parking enforcement 'Kevins' will have nabbed you well inside 9 months.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Only £16? Lucky you didn't have your bike crushed Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy

I run that risk every day - buses, trucks, white vans, minicabs etc. Laughing

spook51 wrote:
You got off lightly, failure to display a valid tax disc is a £30 FPN. Leave your bike on the street here and the parking enforcement 'Kevins' will have nabbed you well inside 9 months.

In London it doesn't seem to matter. I'll probably get shot down for saying this but while I do pay the road tax, I've only displayed a tax disc on my bikes two or three times in over 10 years - the discs just get nicked within a few months when I do so I gave up... Evil or Very Mad

On the odd occasion I get stopped, the cops just laugh and say "tax disc under the seat? Yeah, no worries". They can look it up in their database anyway.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
......I've only displayed a tax disc on my bikes two or three times in over 10 years - the discs just get nicked within a few months when I do so I gave up...On the odd occasion I get stopped, the cops just laugh and say "tax disc under the seat? Yeah, no worries". They can look it up in their database anyway.

Just the same for my old Triumph Spitfire. The Tax Disc was often getting stolen or blowing away. I used to display a photo copy of the original with the words "Copy - See Driver for Original" written across it in Highlighter. It was never a problem but that was about 30 years ago! Currently, I laminate the Tax Discs for both of my MotorBikes and keep them on me in my wallet.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I used to display a photo copy of the original with the words "Copy - See Driver for Original" written across it in Highlighter.
Currently, I laminate the Tax Discs for both of my MotorBikes and keep them on me in my wallet.

I think that's probably "not good enough" for the UK numpty revenue collectors (sorry - "authorities") who would slap a FPN on you as soon as they saw it wasn't a genuine original on the windscreen.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Moile Cameras Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

I think that's probably "not good enough" for the UK numpty revenue collectors (sorry - "authorities") who would slap a FPN on you as soon as they saw it wasn't a genuine original on the windscreen.

I know you are correct Andy. One day I shall get a fine (or two) but it is so disruptive having a Tax Disc stolen and having to sort it out.

Its so much easier to fine me rather than catch/prevent the thieves.

Hey Ho! Pays Your Money And Takes Your Choice.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not an offence of 'Failure to Display'? There used to be
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Is there not an offence of 'Failure to Display'? There used to be

Keep up at the back - see my post above... Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK already. I'll try to pay attention in future Rolling Eyes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Quote:

And I bet the people at No30 are not very happy neither when all the bins are returned after being emptied?

Very Happy
LIke it!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifting way off-topic maybe, but is it "your" bin? (We don't have them where I live, but my relatives have to pay to replace theirs...)

What if you just peeled the "30" sign off, or (heaven forbid!) replaced it with something else... like "70" for example? Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: