Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Datum for Ireland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Datum for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: GPS Datum for Ireland Reply with quote

Hi all just a quick question I am thinking of going to Ireland this coming summer to do some walking and was just wondering what datum do I us on my GPS over here its the OSGB but I dont have a clue for Ireland any ideas, also is there any digital maps that I can buy of Ireland thanks for your time.

Nick789uk
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, in order to say whether Ireland maps are available, we need to know the make and model of your GPS unit.

As for the datum required, I'm afraid I don't know. On most stand-alone satnavs (such as my Tomtom) the datum used is fixed, you have no control over it, but the supplied maps certainly include Ireland and they certainly work OK.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would presume with him walking that it won't be a tomtom he's taking?! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Ireland datum Reply with quote

Hi I use both a PDA with os mapping and a garmin etrex vista to use them in the uk you have to but the datum to osgb i think it will be simular in Ireland just need to know what thanks for all your help.
Nick
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The datum will only be really relevant if you are trying to use your GPS in conjunction with a map. If you are using a paper map then the datum should be on it (or at least available from the publisher). Electronic maps should have datum included in them.

In the worst case stick to WGS84 - you can at least plot your tracks on Google earth or similar.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a play in garmin mobile xt this afternoon and in the settings you can choose the lat/lon format including decimal degrees, DMS, British Grid (presumeably OSGB?) and one of the options was "Irish (ITM)" - don't know if that helps at all? the datum option was still WGS 84 though...?!

MaFt
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i had a play in garmin mobile xt this afternoon and in the settings you can choose the lat/lon format including decimal degrees, DMS, British Grid (presumeably OSGB?) and one of the options was "Irish (ITM)" - don't know if that helps at all? the datum option was still WGS 84 though...?!

MaFt

Yes - this can lead to endless confusion...

The lat/long format affects the way the position is displayed (but we knew that already didn't we Wink ) If you choose British Grid on the latest GARMIN outdoor models it automatically chooses the correct, ie. OSGB36, datum. The wrong choice of datum will give you absolute position errors but you can only spot these when referencing a map - either electronic or paper. Using British National Grid ref with WGS84 datum (a mistake that was easy to do with earlier handheld units) will give you positional errors of around 50-100 metres on an OS map in the UK. I'm ashamed to say I have never walked with a GPS in Eire (I must correct this obvious omission in my life) and I don't possess any topo mapping for the country.

BUT... a quick GOOGLE (ooohhhh I do feel better for that!) revealed this document which would seem to imply that it is NOT all that straight forward in the Emerald isle.
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re Datum ie Reply with quote

Hi folks thanks for all your replies I will look on the Garmin to see if it has any of these datums in the artical on it and will use them, but thank you all for replying if I get any futher on which to use I will post it here thanks again.

Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: