Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Method of Recording New Voices - Garmin Voice Utility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Method of Recording New Voices - Garmin Voice Utility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3jeKmPHy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Method of Recording New Voices - Garmin Voice Utility Reply with quote

How do you guys suggest recording new voices to avoid the sentences sound strange? Recording the words separately, when joined together to form a sentence, sounds very strange. Do you suggest recording the sentences first and then splitting the .wav into the individual words?

I hope I made that clear. Thanks for any input you may have.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Garmin forum & Thread Title edited for clarity

BTW this relates to the Garmin Voice Utility and the Garmin Nuvi 205W.

See also

this thread.

3jeKmPHy - it would be much better and easier for everyone if you just had one thread on your issues with the Garmin Voice Utility and listed them all there, instead of opening a new thread for each and every question. Also when posting pick an appropriate forum such as the Garmin one here and provide as much info as possible. The OP above was in the Beginners Forum and doesn't give anyone viewing it much info about what you are doing and with what.
3jeKmPHy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with the Voice Utility. I use Sony Sound Forge to record .wavs. I am simply asking if I should record each word separately or record sentences and then split the recording into the individual .wavs to avoid my Nuvi 205W sounding "sing songy." For example, instead of recording "arriving" "at" "destination" "on" "right", I would record "arriving at destination on right" and then split the recording into the individual words.

Is this what most people do?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the Voice Utility.

What do you intend to do with the wav files once you have them?
3jeKmPHy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the Voice Utility.

What do you intend to do with the wav files once you have them?

Use voice utility again to rejoin the .wavs into a .vpm file, but this question doesn't pertain to voice utility. It pertains to the suggested method of recording the words. I know how to use voice utility and have no issue with it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the point is this should have been mentioned in the opening post. You asked how to record your voice for the best results but if you don't mention the software you are using, the method you wish to use and the hardware you want to run it on, no-one will know how to answer your questions.

At some stage someone was going to have to ask "What hardware are you using the voice on", "What software are you using" etc so I'm just trying to get the information up there for you so people don't look at the thread and turn away when they could have helped. It helps if people have the "big picture" of whats going on rather than just one specific step.

I've moved it to the Garmin forum so it'll be seen by the Garmin regulars, I've also renamed the title to show you are using the Voice Utility so that it'll attract the attention of other Voice Utility users and maybe even the softwares author, I've also cross referenced other threads you started which detail what you have done already and are trying to do. Otherwise it was stuck in the Beginners GPS lounge with a non-descriptive title attracting no-ones attention.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: