Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 firmware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
build
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: 720 firmware Reply with quote

Hi
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but not certain where to ask it.
I have a tomtom go 720t
details are
app 7.481 os:3024
64mb ram 29.6 free
gps v1.21 boot 5.4106
map western europe v705.1480

DO not know what the firmware is or where to find it

How do i find out what the most upto date things are and where to get them from for this tomtom 720.

I'm sorry I do not know what all the above means I do know what the maps are western europe.

Many thanks
a dum blonde
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tell the firmware installed by tapping the satellite bars on the unit. The next screen shows the version number installed. If you tap the version number, the next screen will show the map version and build installed.

If you connect your unit to the computer, start TT Home and click on 'update' my unit, it'll take you to a screen where you'll see aprogress bar as it's scanning the current contents of the unit.

I'm sure it'll offer a firmware update. Accept it and let it install. Now, disconnect your unit properly from the computer. First, choose Home's menu option for Device--Disconnect Device.

You'll see a screen saying it's ok to disconnect.

DON'T!!!

Wait till your unit recycles to a screen asking if you want to connect to computer. Say 'no'.

Now, you can power off the unit and disconnect.

Now, reconnect to the computer. Power on. The 720 will ask if you want to connect to computer. Say 'yes' but do NOT start Home.

Use Windows' Explorer to make a complete backup of your unit. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now, start Home. Select 'update' and, more than likely, it'll offer another firmware update (it does the f/w updates sequentially). Go through the above process including ANOTHER full backup to a differently named folder on the computer.

Again, reconnect and Update. Eventually, you'll not be offered any other firmware updates but wil be offered maps you can buy. (7.05 is over a year old). It's your call as to whether you want to spend the cash to do so. Being in the UK, you'll probably be offered a subscription purchase of maps/updates. I can't help with the precise screens since in North America, we're not offered that method of obtaining maps.

Anway.....the above is a start for you.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 720 firmware Reply with quote

build wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but not certain where to ask it.
I have a tomtom go 720t
details are
app 7.481 os:3024
64mb ram 29.6 free
gps v1.21 boot 5.4106
map western europe v705.1480

Your firmware is version 7.481, and your map v705. These are not the latest versions.
build
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
You can tell the firmware installed by tapping the satellite bars on the unit. The next screen shows the version number installed. If you tap the version number, the next screen will show the map version and build installed.

Anway.....the above is a start for you.

Many thanks for a very detailed answer.
I will give that a try.
It seams by the reports that I'm getting from this post that I have NOT got the new version of all the things on my tomtom 720t.
I thought that I would have the most upto date version as I have only just bought the tomtom.
Also it seams that I have a old version of the map's.

Please can you tell me if I should have any poi and speed camera's on this unit when I bought it.
When the unit arrived I was confused as it was in a box that say's TomTom 720 and also say's that on the unit but has the long bit of wire that you plug into the unit.

Many thanks to all who have got back to me .
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your box should be a CD with the instruction manual on it.
May I surgest that you save it to your documents. You can then open the file and check on what your 720T can do for you. Regards.
build
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MickeyM wrote:
In your box should be a CD with the instruction manual on it.
May I surgest that you save it to your documents. You can then open the file and check on what your 720T can do for you. Regards.

Thank you for your comments. I know I'm a Dum Blonde But I have done that already to find out what my unit can and cannot do .

Not to Sound Rude BUT they will NOT tell me the information that I wanted in my other post's WILL IT?.

I do look on the box, enclosed letters Etc Etc BUT nothing about version numbers etc. I do find it very STRANGE that there is NO (as far as I can see) notice "BACK UP YOUR UNIT OR YOU WILL LOSE THE LOT" How strange this is that you pay for somthing and you get NOTHING on a CD.
SO it looks like lose it and the answer is TUFF LUCK pay for it all again.
The main reason I was asking all of this is to see if I have any re-address to the person who I bought the unit from and to get my facts correct about the speed camera's if they should be on or not when I bought this and to see if I Should have had a more up date version maps etc.

Many thanks

Dum Blonde
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi "dumb blonde",

You answered most of your own questions by tne info that you post in your original question.

App 7.41 refers to the firmware of which it is now up to v8.300

Western Europe v705 refers to release of map of which it is now at v815

You say you just bought your unit, if it was bought new then you may be able to get the latest maps for free. If is was bought new and its within 30 days of purchase then heres what you do.

Connect your 720 to a PC via the cable supplied, it should prompt you to install Tomtom program called Home, if its not already on there. It will the run Home and ask you to set up an account. You need an email to do this.

When the account is set up it when then read the info on your 720 to see what it can upgrade. At this stage ignore any maps, voices etc, you need to upgrade your App first. This is important as it determines which map you will be offered. You may have to upgrade the App a couple of times before you end up at v8.300. Please observe all instructions given previously regarding disconnecting while the unit is been written to etc. Also Home will instruct you to disconnect and restart a couple of times, just do what it says.

When you get App v8.300 then look to the top of the title bar in Home and under Tools you will find the option to "Use latest map guarantee". If like i said before its new and not 30 days old you should get offered the V815 map, if you do then accept it and let it download. This can be a long process taking hours depending on your internet connection. Do not touch it until it is finished.

Everyone on here warns people to make regular back ups as things can and do go wrong with TT products when upgrading. The more back ups you do the easier to correct something later. Ideally you should back up between every action you do, but its up to you when you do it. Home as a backup function which is unreliable. Use the afore mentioned process and back up all files on your PC as instructed.

Good luck
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: