Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Transmitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Transmitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimsTomTom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

THIS WILL ONLY WORK WITH MAPS VERSION 810 OR EARLIER, IF YOU ONLY HAVE THE VERSION 815 MAPS DO NOT TRY THIS - IT WON'T WORK

- Mike

How can I tell which version of MAPS is on my 730?

- Tim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the sat strength meter (lower right corner) followed by the version box and the page the unit will display contains the application and current map information - Mike
RedTomato
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I have just asked TomTom why they have stopped my 920 transmitting to my radio and await a reply. In my case (I have hearing problems) it was the ability to transmit through my car radio that got me to buy it. If they have now gone and removed the function without warning do I warrant a refund?

Yes that's exactly why i bought my 720 boy oh boy TomTom sure
like to make life hard if its not one thing then its another Twisted Evil
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the reply I got from TomTom when asked the same question.

With reference to your device not being fit for purpose and the refund of your map, the FM Transmitter function being removed does not stop you using a map you have purchased, the following is the statement are giving to all our customers:

'We understand that you are concerned about the recent change to the TomTom application which has disabled FM Transmission of navigation instructions. We deeply regret that it has become necessary for us to implement this change, as our FM Transmission technology was a unique innovation at the time of its release.

Unfortunately, due to recent legislation, it is no longer allowed to occupy an unused FM frequency unless audio transmission is constant. Because the signal that carries your TomTom's voice instructions is not constant (voice instructions are only given occasionally, as needed) it has now become illegal to transmit this kind of audio via FM radio transmission.

We regret that this feature can no longer be offered under the current legal restriction.'

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...which is exactly what I said a month ago in the fourth post on page one of this topic Confused

You have a few options...
1. revert back to v8.010 software
2. Use an external FM transmitter (Good ones are available for around £15, I've seen them for as low as £4.50 in petrol stations)
3. Invest in a Bluetooth loudspeaker or a Bluetooth capable car headunit, and use BT instead.
vtraveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's decision seems somewhat like throwing the towel in to me. You could easily tackle the problem by:

a) Allowing voice instruction over FM if music is playing (and auto-pause)
b) Periodically emit a low-volume 'click/tick' sound just like a clock or beacon
c) Both [a] and [b] when appropriate

I wouldn't mind if I could find a decent Bluetooth Stereo adapter for the car. My experiences of what happens to the audio when they connect is somewhat undesirable (loud ping as amp kicks in) plus BT doesn't have the concept handling multiple audio sources (useless for a car).

I guess if TT supported BT mono-headsets then that would be a useful alternative but I have to say the TT930's speaker is decidedly poorer than the TT910's boom box and in need of the car stereo or some such other fluid non-cabled replacement.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my car radio with one that has an iPod socket for about £90. Now I can connect the Go to it by cable. That was before the update that removed the FM option but I found the FM so unreliable as to be virtually unusable.

I got fed up with local radio stations breaking in as I travelled round and it is a pain to have to keep stopping to retune both the radio & the Go.
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked OFCOM about this and they said;
The relevant standard (ETSI EN 301 357) for this type of apparatus was updated recently to version 1.4.1. In this revision, the requirement to turn the transmitter off when there is no audio signal was better defined (Section 8.1).

I cannot find this document on the internet but I suspect it should apply to commercial broadcasters not to PNDs of the 50nW kind. They suggested it was Tomtom that has decided to disable this function as there is no law to stop them.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebb wrote:
The relevant standard (ETSI EN 301 357) for this type of apparatus was updated recently to version 1.4.1. In this revision, the requirement to turn the transmitter off when there is no audio signal was better defined (Section 8.1).

Very brief summary of the regulations are here with the relevent note being point 6

Quote:
Channel occupation rules : The transmitter shall cease to transmit within 1 minute on removal of the audio input signal.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the FM Tx re-introduced with a slight change to stay within the "regulations"

If a user were to select FM Tx for mp3 playback and the mp3 player were active then it should be possible to play directions via the FM as the input would be continual due to the music, same should apply to audio books.

Easy way around the need to have music playing would be a silent mp3 audio track stored on the device - this way you would get the FM Tx back.

If no mp3 were playing the Navigation voice should default back to the built in speaker - I fail to see how this would be TomTom that were supplying a device that was breaking the law, it would take a deliberate action by a user to configure the device to only play the nav voice via FM with a silent mp3 track "playing" at the same time - any thoughts on this idea? - Mike
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a petition or something could get this policy changed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebb wrote:
I asked OFCOM about this and they said;

I cannot find this document on the internet but I suspect it should apply to commercial broadcasters not to PNDs of the 50nW kind. They suggested it was Tomtom that has decided to disable this function as there is no law to stop them.

I have now read the "final draft" of the relevant document: ETSI EN 301 357-1 V1.4.1 (2008-09)

Your contact was correct that the relevant paragraph is Section 8.1 and it does seem quite clear and "well defined":

Quote:
8.1 Basic requirements for Band II LPD
The following conditions shall be met by all Band II LPD:
• Band II LPD shall cease to transmit within 1 minute of the removal of audio modulation. Pilot tones to ensure continuity of transmission are not permitted.

Also, the definition of a "Band II LPD" can be found in Paragraph 4.1.4:

Quote:
Band II LPD
Short range low power FM transmitters operating in the FM Broadcast band 87,5 MHz to 108 MHz are used for the provision of an RF link between a personal audio device, including mobile phone, and the in-car or home entertainment system.

So, I'm afraid it definitely DOES refer to 50nW PND's and not just big commercial broadcasters, and unless something changed after this "final draft" then TT seem to be correct.

You can read the entire document yourself here:
Part 1: ETSI EN 301 357-1 V1.4.1 (2008-09)
Part 2: ETSI EN 301 357-2 V1.4.1 (2008-09)
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else had the problem that FM transmission on a 720 stops working (including the Jukebox) after installing the 8.204 application? When reverting back to 8.300 it works fine again, but then you get other problems that have been heavily discussed in various forum threads...

/Ulf
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect all functions to work on the device when you install software intended for a different model, to be honest I am quite surprised it even runs at all on the unit.

With the 8,300 related problems on your x20 you have a couple of options:

1/ Roll back to Navcore 8,010 and v810 mapping
2/ Put up with the issues and wait for a fix running the new v815 maps - Mike
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I wouldn't expect all functions to work on the device when you install software intended for a different model, to be honest I am quite surprised it even runs at all on the unit.

With the 8,300 related problems on your x20 you have a couple of options:

1/ Roll back to Navcore 8,010 and v810 mapping
2/ Put up with the issues and wait for a fix running the new v815 maps - Mike

I'm going for the second option. Now that I have payed for a map subscription, I don't want to go back to the v810 map that is lacking IQ Routes v2. The stuttering isn't so bad on my device so I can put up with it. It's just the slow GUI that annoys me. I really hope that TomTom react on the large number of customer complaints and release an updated SW for the x20/x30 soon. As others have stated before, it should be possible for TT to modify the x40 SW such that it works with the x20/x30 devices (strip the HD functionality, enable GPRS Traffic and possible change to the old icon set if they want to keep the distinction between the older and the newer ranges).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: