Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Note alanji. I am going to Cornwall in a few weeks, so checked mine for a blocked A30. Nothing, all ok.

The coordinates dropped me into a field perhaps 300 yards to the east of A30 and I couldn't find any blockage in the area (wanted to put it right as I never know when I'll be down there next). I don't download or accept any Mapshare corrections at all - maybe alanji takes everything and some nutter has done another of those jokes!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteT wrote:
Is there a way to get the update for £35.80 and not the next years worth of updates?
I'm afraid the choice is Map update service for £35.80 plus £35.80, or the new map for £69.95. I'm a bit surprised that your offer isn't actually cheaper than the stand alone map - it was for my offer and just about everybody else, I believe. But not just the £35.80. Sad

PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PeteT wrote:
Is there a way to get the update for £35.80 and not the next years worth of updates?
I'm afraid the choice is Map update service for £35.80 plus £35.80, or the new map for £69.95. I'm a bit surprised that your offer isn't actually cheaper than the stand alone map - it was for my offer and just about everybody else, I believe. But not just the £35.80. Sad

Hi Dennis

If i was to buy a new map, am i correct in thinking that i wouldn't get the updates for a year?
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I am in the same boat, I have spoken to Tom Tom uninstalled Home and re-installed, all to no avail, they have asked for my system info, this I have sent, I am now awaiting a reply. All I would say is to speak to them do not rely on e-mail via web site.

let me know how you get on, I will post my result.

DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got back in this evening to find the e-mail from tomtom which supposedly allowed me to access latest map guarantee - their "solution" ?
Use a paper clip to do a soft reset... chocolate and tea pot springs to mind.
I decided it wasn't worth the hassle chasign them t save £9.50 or whatever the cost was so I paid up and subscribed to the 12 months free maps thingy as well. Guess what - AFTER downloading the map it now recognises there's a map available for me to d'l using latest map guarantee - to be honest i wouldn't trust this lot to give me directions to the corner shop ...

Was gonna let it slide and pay up but i'm going to contact them tomorrow and demand to speak to 2nd line or a manager -

DinAlt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteT wrote:
Hi Dennis

If i was to buy a new map, am i correct in thinking that i wouldn't get the updates for a year?
Yes, if you buy the new map at £69.95 from the TT Map shop, all you get is the one map and no further updates. You cannot get just the new map for £35.80.

Alternatively for £71.60 (a mere £1.65 dearer) you would get the new map, PLUS all the new maps released during the next 12 months (generally believed to be the next three maps after this one).

It's entirely up to you, but everybody else has gone for the £71.60 option of 4 maps for the price of one.

D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Holdfast,

Glad, in a way, that I am not the only one in this predicament. Having said that I would not wish problems I may have on others if you know what I mean.

I am interested to know if you also had the cheaper same or similar map upgrade option for what is now an older map as well?

I agree that speaking in person may be faster in the long run, but with email you have what they say or promise in writing, and not just hearsay from, what maybe a still wet behind the ears customer support representative...Laughing Out Loud

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my home street has finally made it on this map, only 2 years old so not bad going by my reckoning...Cool and I did report it via mapshare (I can pretend that made all the difference!) It still isn't showing on Google maps though, I thought they shared the same data and first time I've noticed a difference in the two.
Hyperchaotic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Upgrade from 710 to 815 worth it for British Columbian? Reply with quote

I know that mileage may vary (heh), but I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade from maps 710 to 815. I live in British Columbia.

Any British Columbians to comment?
sjh4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated my 920 to map815 having already updated software to 830, worked fine until copied map.cfg over then just constant reboot, replaced cfg file with one that came with map and working okay again, just have to manually re add favs and speed camera warnings etc, first time in over a year updates havent worked without a hitch
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem to sjh4. Installed Navcore 8.30 on Monday. All OK. Installed the 8.15 map last night but my mapsettings.cfg file is now 2k and does not contain my Home or audio warning settings for the speed cameras. Put back the mapsettings.cfg file from the backup I made immediately before installing the new maps but my 920 is now in a loop and cannot get beyond the startup screen. The only solution I have at the moment is to dlete the mapsettings.cfg file so it creates a new one on startup. That works but I really don't want to have to recreate all my audio and other settings. It took ages the first time!

Any ideas?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote
Quote:
Had to pay £8.95 (plus £35.8 for 12 month upgrade) as my map was one quarter old
same here, I bought version 810 on September 15th so it isn't a quarter old until December 15th. I paid up because it didn't seem worth the agro for the sake of £8.95 but I wonder if others are getting the same thing.
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LB-Greg wrote:
Just updated my maps on my 720 to 8.15. Did the update to 8.300 yesterday.
All seemed to go OK; but now when I switch it on it just cycles between the tom tom Go opening screen (with sky, trees and sign post), then blank screen then TomTom on a black screen then the yellow screen with the progress bar at the bottom Crying or Very sad

I've pushed the reset bottom underneath - HELP!!

I have this same problem after updating the map to 815 and replacing the mapsettings.cfg with the 810 version. If it's out of the cradle then continual reboots.

To fix, stick it in the cradle and you should see the drives (at least on my Mac I do). I can now delete the mapsettings.cfg and it'll be fine.

So, major gripe - why have TomTom f'ed up the map settings. Isn't this one of their recommended solutions to recover the favourites?

Secondly, why the shell are favourites in a binary file anyway? This should be a simple text file that is unrelated to the map. BOI.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you having ''fun'' with the MapSettings.cfg file have a read of #15 on the FAQ page near the top of ths forum section index, it was written for a different device with a similar issue and should therefre resolve this problem - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:

Perhaps the X20/X30 series are reaching their limit of feature ability due to limited memory... I popped some of my earlier backups on my Go 520 to take a look at the available spare memory with earlier apps...

Free Ram with Navcore 7.41... ver 715 map... 32.6Mb

Free Ram with Navcore 8.010... ver 715 map... 32.4Mb

Free Ram with Navcore 8.010... ver 720.803 map... 29Mb

Free Ram with Navcore 8.3... ver 720.803 map 18Mb...

Can't comment on the ver 8X maps I am afraid...

Alan.

I've just checked my 520, updated to the latest Navcore & maps this week:-

Memory used 397MB
Free space: 91.6MB

I don't think I'll run out of space for a while

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: