Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Tanny wrote:
Dennis how did you manage to move the North America map from the tomtom to your hard drive as i need to free up some space.

Using Windows Explorer, I did my backup of the original 920 to my hard disk. After a few more such backups, I decided to dump the North America and Guam maps from my device (mainly because each backup took so long including them in it and they had never changed), so I simply deleted the Guam and North America folders from the 920, using Windows Explorer. If I ever want them, I can copy them back again from any one of the earlier Windows Explorer backups.

Tell me you do use Windows Explorer for your backups!

I use Tomtom home to back up my device. Is their a thread where i can follow on how to backup using Window Exploer.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its No.1 in the FAQ at the start of the Tomtom forum.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=280501#280501
Tanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Its No.1 in the FAQ at the start of the Tomtom forum.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=280501#280501

Thank you for this link. Will back my tomtom this way tonight.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanny wrote:
Thank you for this link. Will back my tomtom this way tonight.

Win Explorer backup regularly and ALWAYS before and after any changes/updates. Use understandable titles for each copy - e.g. "2008-11-10 Pre 815 Map" and "2008-11-10 Post 815 Map".

I've never tried it, but "they" say that TT Home only does one backup and overwrites the previous one with the new one - notta lotta use if you backup a dud device and end up with a dud backup!

On two separate Hard Disks, I have about 90 of them for about 8 devices (cos' I'm a smug old man!!) Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I must be missing something here.

I have a new ONE v4 and TomTom HOME says I have the latest maps.

When I look on the the info page it says:

App 8.010
GPS v1.21
Boot 5.5011
Map United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland v725.1883

So why do I not see v8 maps you are all talking about Crying or Very sad

I did the LMG yesterday, so if the map only came available today I missed out then Question
Flinx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app is 7.162. I thought the same, in that the app would have to be v8, but what do i know Rolling Eyes
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all the v8.15 maps have the new IQ and ALG and all the other bits the W & CE Map has.

There are quite a few that have appeared on HOME and I assumed they would have but just thought I would check, it doesn't say on the TT site (or I couldn't find it)

There are a couple of 2GB maps as well, are these for people who want to have 2 maps on say a 920 who only have 4gb of internal memory?

Cheers

Carl
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A default new TomTom such as a 920 or 930 never had the WHOLE european or US maps on to start with. The map files are all there, sure...but the voice files that go with them are ONLY a selection of them...determined by the country you purchased your unit in.

THis is why there seems to be a struggle when updating the maps because if you remove the old European one first to install a new one...it will try and install ALL the voice files...and the whole install is much bigger. Therefore you will run out of space.

I am not sure TomTom have ever provided very clear instructions on how to upgrade the maps, maintaining the correct sizing and language files based on the original install.
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I've never tried it, but "they" say that TT Home only does one backup and overwrites the previous one with the new one - notta lotta use if you backup a dud device and end up with a dud backup!

On two separate Hard Disks, I have about 90 of them for about 8 devices (cos' I'm a smug old man!!) Laughing

TT Home makes always the backup in the same folder (my last was Backup01), but you can rename the folder to keep all backups separate or you can move the folder where ever you want. I think that Home backup is just an ordinary copy as the Explorer copy is. No compress, only difference is that it makes a Backup Info file.

After update I have Western_Europe v815.2003 and 51046 map corrections.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartsa wrote:

TT Home makes always the backup in the same folder (my last was Backup01), but you can rename the folder to keep all backups separate or you can move the folder where ever you want.

But how many people who are novices are going to remember that?

Quote:
I think that Home backup is just an ordinary copy as the Explorer copy is. No compress, only difference is that it makes a Backup Info file.

But Home has a LONG history of missing bits off it's backups or just making backups which subsequently refuse to restore.

Using Explorer, you can see what is going on and YOU are in control.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

Your not missing out on anything, the v8xx maps are for the Go range of devices and not applicable to the One range as they cannot use the additional data contained in this range of maps (IQ Routes 1 or 2 and the reality view/ lane assist)

AFAIK the v725 map is the latest release for your device - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:

Your not missing out on anything, the v8xx maps are for the Go range of devices and not applicable to the One range as they cannot use the additional data contained in this range of maps (IQ Routes 1 or 2 and the reality view/ lane assist)

AFAIK the v725 map is the latest release for your device - Mike

Thank you Mike for the information. Not used TomTom products since my Mio168 a few years ago.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know about anyone else but i am finding the map view very jerky especially on junctions and really slows down ..I have disabled loads of poi's on have them on only show on map view and it is now somewhat better
seems to have gone back a step in my book
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
don't know about anyone else but i am finding the map view very jerky especially on junctions and really slows down
First trial, only two miles round the village, it was my immediate thought. Because of the way I downloaded I'm going to see if I can start it all over again and do it differently to see if it improves. Two miles is no trial of course.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanny wrote:
I recently paid for tomtom update map service. When i log onto tomtom home it is asking me to pay for installing these new maps.

I was under the impression i have already paid for 3 updates for a year from tomtom?

It's nice to see I am not alone, I have been in contact with Tom Tom twice this afternoon, I have uninstalled Home, cleared all references to Tom tom off my PC (as requested by Tom Tom) after that did not work, they have now asked for a copy of the system info, this I have forwarded on to them.

My advice to you is, if you have not done so allready, Phone them asap, and if they try to tell you your the only one you can tell em your not. Good Luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: