Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: IQ Reply with quote

Question Does this mean a 720 user(7mths old) with 8.3 s/ware, can buy the new maps and enjoy the iQ feature?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: IQ Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:
Question Does this mean a 720 user(7mths old) with 8.3 s/ware, can buy the new maps and enjoy the iQ feature?

Yes, you can buy the 815 map to use the IQ 24/7 feature under the 8.300 application software. I did so for one day, although I'd not use the word "enjoy" (I used my backups to revert to previous software and map). Search button might help you decide, or at least go back 12 pages and read the whole of this thread. There are also quite a lot of related topics in the GO/Rider/One Forum.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gitster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, i bought the 940 last Sunday, and i'm very pleased with it after having a Navman iCN 550 for ages, but this agro over the latest map has put a damper on things, i can get the new map, but after reading various posts, i'm not sure i want to.

Should i just stick to my current map, and hope that TT fix the gliches in the new one before my 30 days are up?

Thanks Steve Wink
iainkirk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just paid for the latest map and 12 months subscription for my 520. £41.70 altogether, which was £13.90 for the latest map (75% discount) and £6.95 per quarter subscription.

Will test out and report back - got a work trip to Leeds on Tuesday to somewhere I've never been before!
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help feeling that software and new services are being rushed out to get much needed revenue. Does it really change your TomTom that much spending £40 a year?
Seems to be quite a few issues over new rushed out services.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gitster wrote:
Guys, i bought the 940 last Sunday, and i'm very pleased with it after having a Navman iCN 550 for ages, but this agro over the latest map has put a damper on things, i can get the new map, but after reading various posts, i'm not sure i want to.

Should i just stick to my current map, and hope that TT fix the gliches in the new one before my 30 days are up?

Thanks Steve Wink

I don't think there is anything wrong with the new maps. It just doesn't have as many changes (reflecting recent roads) as people hoped.

The reason you see concerns are because those with older models also had to update the system software (significant change), and that has caused some issues. Additionally people have had problems getting the maps they feel they are entitled to (either latest map guarantee or annual subscription).

I have a 940 with the current map, and for me at least, it reflects some road changes right where I live....so I am happy.
Gitster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a 940 with the current map, and for me at least, it reflects some road changes right where I live....so I am happy.

Ok thanks, so you're not getting any lag or issues then?

Cheers Steve Wink
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Andy, that is correct provided that the 24/7 IQ Routes data is correct and fairly complete (i.e covering all the roads along your route with reliable statistical data for all 5 minute intervals throughout the day for each day of the year). My short experience of the IQ Routes v2 doesn't indicate the level of improved routing that would be the case if the data was close to that completenes. I think TomTom will need to do some more data collecting before the IQ Routes really adds any value for us users.

I think the concept of 24/7 IQ Routing, or even intelligent routing in general, is fantastic. But there are plenty of pitfalls, this being one.

I've often wondered about another. If there's a road which lots of people use that gets clogged up, e.g. the M11 at rush hour, what's to stop TT trying to reroute you on a variety of lesser A or B roads? That would seem the point of IQ routing, but if the IQ information on those roads isn't as accurate (because fewer people use them) you could end up faring just as badly.

A smaller sample-size could well distort the dataset in this way. I truly hope it's more robust than that.

Does IQ information even get stored on every road, or just motorways and major trunk routes (much like RDS-TMC traffic)?
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gitster wrote:

Thanks Steve Wink

Do a full back up first (using explorer, not HOME) then use your LMG and you can always revert if you do not like it.
Personally I am happy (except with IQ routes - posted elsewhere) but have not been on a long trip - going away for a week tomorrow. I noticed a little jerkiness with the previous map and app. I have read that this can be caused by too many POI files being enabled.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ routes only seems to work on major roads from my experience. I often use the B462 and in the mornings there are frequently queues from Aldenham to the A41 which are over half a mile long but can take 20 minutes to join the A41. This is not picked up in IQ Routes or HD traffic.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the new maps. It just doesn't have as many changes (reflecting recent roads) as people hoped.

From what I've seen, the new 8.15.2003 map (for my area anyway) has more changes to one way systems, turn restrictions and speed limit corrections etc (i.e mapshare updates that we've all submitted) than physical changes on new roads/amended roads etc.

Perhaps it's a case of, the smaller the version number change, the smaller the significance in map changes that are applied? So if were looking for major changes to roads and new estates etc, we should wait until v9.xx.xxx.
That my thinking logic anyway, as there are some significant changes here in Dundee that have been installed for a while that ain't on these new maps. Mid you, there not on Tele Atlas Map insght pages either. Rolling Eyes
(Yes, they've been reported.)
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:

From what I've seen, the new 8.15.2003 map (for my area anyway) has more changes to one way systems, turn restrictions and speed limit corrections etc (i.e mapshare updates that we've all submitted) than physical changes on new roads/amended roads etc.

Sadly the version 815 maps I downloaded don't include major one-way systems introduced in the middle of Swansea over 2 years ago (They're not shown in Google Maps either!) or no right turn restrictions which have been wrong on TeleAtlas maps since the introduction of TTN4 (correct on NavTeq maps). I, and presumably many others, have reported these to TomTom and direct to TeleAtlas on numerous occasions
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
I can't help feeling that software and new services are being rushed out to get much needed revenue. Does it really change your TomTom that much spending £40 a year?
Seems to be quite a few issues over new rushed out services.

welcome to the world that is tomtom ..this has been going on since ...well from when i started way back when i was a kid with tomtom 2 on pda and maybe even further back ...... great product rubbish company
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past Wednesday, (from Bristol BS11 0YW) I went to two places in Swansea, SA6 6AA and SA5 4HN, then Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 4DR.

I used three devices - GO920, app8.300, map 815, GO720, app8.010, map 810 and HTC Advantage X7510 with TT Navigator 6 and map 675.

Guess what? All three gave me the same routes, distances and ETAs.

Go figure!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help!!

Just downloaded V815 W&CE yet my 720 is telling me I now have v810.1940

This can't be right??

It was supposed to be v815.xxxx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: