Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, check the pixel size of the x2 bmp files in your map folder, if they are 48x48 then they are the wrong ones, download the 44x44 icon set and this problem will go away - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, you were lucky you could use your mapsettings.cfg file on the new map. I'm one of many that have reported that it crashed the device, it only got as far as the splash screen then closed. Deleting the file cured it and a new one was created when I botted up next time. Luckily I had all my favourites stored as POIs but i'm having to set up all my warnings for UK 7 european cameras again.

I'm sure all the map share changes you reported were also in version 8.010 though.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Richard, check the pixel size of the x2 bmp files in your map folder, if they are 48x48 then they are the wrong ones, download the 44x44 icon set and this problem will go away - Mike

Mike, I have the 44 x 44 bmp files. As I should have said, they 'appear' smaller and I can live with that.

Calomax wrote:
I'm sure all the map share changes you reported were also in version 8.010 though.

Some were, but the one I sent in before the one that is still missimg was not on the previous map.

I'm worried now - am I heading for untold grief? Laughing Crying or Very sad
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll booted my GO720T today version 8.300 and maps 8.15 updated and the device told me: Your maps are now 85 months old. Yippee, nice programming quality again, waiting for Supports answer.
OK, I have some 7.15 maps on the memory card, but they are not that old (I hope), 7 years. Shocked
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have We Gone Backwards?

I have the latest map deal also so my 520 upgraded itself to the new map 8.15 and stutter talk software....

What is worse the map for my area seems to have put errors back which were not in the last two versions.

It's back to telling you to get in the right lane on dual carriageways (A27 near polegate) when you are passing a lay bye.

They have put back the non existing road from the A27 to the A22 at polegate...

What is also interesting is Google show this road but if you look closely you see it is really fields and would need a bridge over the eastbourne - london line.

Google Map Showing Error

I have told my TT that this road is blocked in both directions...

HummerUK

Last edited by HummerUK on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you shorten your URL links, please HummerUK?. These really long ones make everything fall off the edge of the screen.

You just need to add an equals sign and get the brackets in the right place so it has the form:

{url=the link address}any text label{/url} (but with square brackets not curly)

When you are used to it, it's simply:
tap the url button,
tap left cursor arrow key,
tap 'equals' key,
paste the link
tap right cursor arrow key,
type label,
click on /url button.

I promise, it's a lot quicker to do than to describe![/url]

(Edited to add the rather important step I missed out - thanks dhn!)

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were are my settings stored so I can copy them back after a map update?

Thx
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Can you shorten your URL links, please HummerUK?. These really long ones make everything fall off the edge of the screen.

You just need to add an equals sign and get the brackets in the right place so it has the form:

{url=the link address}any text label{/url} (but with square brackets not curly)

When you are used to it, it's simply:
tap the url button,
tap left cursor arrow key,
tap 'equals' key,
tap right cursor arrow key,
type label,
click on /url button.

I promise, it's a lot quicker to do than to describe![/url]

Think there is one line missing after this line: tap 'equals' key,
The next line should be 'add the link', shouldn't it? Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:

Thx

An age-old question, with a not so simple answer.

The file you are thinking of is "MapSettings.cfg", which lives inside the currently selected map's folder.

It always used to be that you could copy that across when you got a new map or when you updated software, and get all your POI warnings, recent destinations etc. back.

BUT....

This latest software update is now the second time at least when TomTom have tweaked the format of thet file so it cannot be copied straight across.

I have a theory that a LOT of people's problems are caused by trying to copy this file across, leaving them selves with stability problems in the future.

It takes 5 or 10 minutes to reset all my preferences and warnings (and I've got a LOT!), but I think it is safer to do that these days.

If you want to retrieve your Favourites and recent destinations, you can open the old MapSettings.cfg file in POIEdit and re-save them as a POI category. Mike Alder did a write up on it only a few days ago. It's #15 in the "FAQs" HERE
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The 8.15 maps are certainly going to cause some issues around where I drive especially on the school runs! The maps show paths inside my sons school as through roads as well as other footpaths and park access roads in the area.

Tested mine out yesterday & it took me the wrong way round a roundabout - just as well I was sat at home at the time Shocked
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
turbo10 wrote:

Thx

The file you are thinking of is "MapSettings.cfg", which lives inside the currently selected map's folder.

It always used to be that you could copy that across when you got a new map or when you updated software, and get all your POI warnings, recent destinations etc. back.

BUT....

This latest software update is now the second time at least when TomTom have tweaked the format of thet file so it cannot be copied straight across.

I have a theory that a LOT of people's problems are caused by trying to copy this file across, leaving them selves with stability problems in the future.

It takes 5 or 10 minutes to reset all my preferences and warnings (and I've got a LOT!), but I think it is safer to do that these days.

If you want to retrieve your Favourites and recent destinations, you can open the old MapSettings.cfg file in POIEdit and re-save them as a POI category. Mike Alder did a write up on it only a few days ago. It's #15 in the "FAQs" HERE

Thanks Andy for the in depth info. I think I will just set up my camera warning distances up again manually.

Thanks again
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: 910 works now Reply with quote

This may already be on this Forum. Just to let you know that the 815 new map offered to 910 users a couple a days ago, that did not show up as a map. Will now work if you connect to Home as 7.9 software upgrade is now offered that will allow the map to show up. We got there in the end.

Alan
oszim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: How to get the 'Latest Map Guarantee' (LMG) proces in detail Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As long as you haven't used the latest Map Guarantee yet and you are still within the 30 day period then it should work, as others are reporting server issues and the demand for the new map will be high putting extra load on the server you might want to leave it a day or two as long as your 30 days are still valid. If it still doesn't work 0845 161 0009 - Mike

I have just bought Go 720T with App 8.300 (9732/081030) Firmware previously updated, but I couldn't easily see how to get Tomtom 'Home' to offer the Latest Map guaranteed (LMG) update. I have since seen several posts from others having the same difficulty. Each trying to obtain map update - v.815.2003 (Western Europe) or v.815.2024 (UK & NI), all having seemingly just purchased their respective units (within the 30 day time frame) and becoming very frustrated at their failure. By using 'Home' each discovered they were only offered the updates for payment and most of them had resorted to either paying up or telephoning Tomtom support to resolve issue without obvious or immediate success.
I too had the same problem, but got help by reading through all 9 pages of PGPSW thread on latest updates Forum and eventually worked out how to do it, but it wasn't quite as straight forward as it should have been. I conclude Tomtom probably sell more Map updates as a result of this evident difficulty.
However, to be fair to TT, the answer can be found at 'www.tomtom.com/latestmap' which does detail 'How to get Latest Map Guarantee' quite precisely, but you have to know where to look !
To qualify you must first be registered and logged on to 'Home' with your device connected to your Computer and have it turned 'on'. From 'Tools' in menu bar select 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' NB. this only appears if you apply within 30 days of using your unit. Your device is then quickly interrogated and in my case, it said 'New map is available, Get it now for free' and the screen went to Home's 'Changing content' page and displayed a green loading bar, entitled 'Download Western Europe' and estimated remaining time, that constantly changes either way.
Warning! - the supplied Tomtom SD card is not big enough to accept the update (1674.9 Mb) causing my 1st attempt to fail. So before starting, I recommend a bigger capacity SD Card. I used 8Gb SDHC card onto which I'd first copied contents of my original SD card, previously as updated with App.v.8.300 Firmware, thus enabling use of high capacity cards. With the large SD Card in my unit, 'Home' asks you to 'Select' However, you have to be very patient, as in my case, the installation took well over 1 hour 20 minutes. This may have been due to present high demand as the latest release is only a few days old and a slow Server.
When the download was complete, it automatically commenced to Install and Copy the updated map files onto my unit. This tranfer alone took another 30 mins, but failed at the last hurdle, as there was insufficient space on my original SD card. The 1st download failure also corrupted my original map, so I had to restore the device and 'start all over again', thus proving at least, the value of first 'backing up' before attempting this process.
I'm very glad to report that my final download attempt did eventually succeed in updating my Western European Map to the latest Version 815.2003, but it was first necessary to 'turn off' the unit and physically disconnect it from the computer, reversing the process and turning it back 'On' for 'Home' to 'Show contents of Go'. By selecting view 'Memory Card' I was finally able to confirm the updated version present. I lastly used 'Home' to 'Backup' all the changes made. I have taken some trouble to ensure the above process is accurate, but give no guarantees - so 'Caveat Emptor'. Hope my experience helps others - Best of Luck. Laughing
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my missing Map upgrade service 815 map.

If anyone has any understanding of why I am being offered a cheaper subscription service than when I joined in Oct 2008, please feel free to try and explain TT customer services answer. Which I am pasting below.

Each update service cost is individual to the device requirements at that time. The reason it is now cheeper is because you allready have the update more expensive version 8 map.

If, for any reason, you are not able to (re)install a software update or any of your purchased PLUS services, please follow the steps below:

1. If your TomTom unit is connected to your PC, exit from TomTom HOME and disconnect the unit
2. Go to ‘My Documents’ and then browse to ‘TomTom\HOME\Downloads’
3. Delete the contents of the ‘Downloads’ folder (not the folder itself)
4. Connect your TomTom unit and, in TomTom HOME, check for updates again
5. The software will download all available services, including software update if necessary, and you will be able to install them to your TomTom unit.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Suffice to say I have unistalled and re-installed TTH and deleted the download folder as instructed. I will not take any bets on what you think the outcome was...Laughing Out Loud

Dave

PS: I would also like to thank the PGPSW staff for the lifetime membership. Very Happy
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
turbo10 wrote:

Thx

BUT....

I copied it straight across, what problems will I have?
Thanks
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: