Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
IanS100 wrote:
Memory used 397MB
Free space: 91.6MB

IanS100 wrote:
falkirk81 wrote:
My go 520 has 18.4mb free ram running v8.3 navcore and v8.15 UK and ROI maps

I wonder where I'm saving all the memory. I've added POI, a couple of splash screens, full PGPSW camera database & voices but nothing else. Everything works as it should!
You are describing the Storage, Internal Memory, RAM.

The others are looking at the Fast Caching RAM, of which most Devices have 64MB.

To liken it to a PC, the memory you are referring to is the equivalent of the Hard Drive.

The Fast Caching RAM is equivalent to the Memory Modules that you can change in the PC, and is where the CPU does most of it's work.

As an aside to that, the TTs also use part of the Storage Memory as Virtual Memory in much the same way that the PC uses the Hard Drive, which is why it is always recommended to leave some free memory.

I'll have to start reading posts more carefully instead of skimming. To correct then I have 17.2 MB of RAM left which is considerably more than the old Vic20 had to start with - oops I'm showing my age now Embarassed
RobRyan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
To RobRyan:

I have just started the update process, after updating a couple of times to the latest Navcore 8.3, went to LMG tab on HOME, said I had two new maps available, W & CE and North America and both were at Version 8.15.

The 920 was purchased from Currys this afternoon, hope this helps with your communication to TT.

Cheers

Carl.

P.S. If there is anything else you need, just holler!!

Cheers Carl. Glad to see the system does work. Got mine from Currys too so its probably all to do with the fact I installed Home a day before 8.15 arrived.

Rob
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! What have I done? Embarassed

Have just updated to v8.3 OS and v 815 maps and it all went remarkably smoothly. Also managed to reinstall all my favourites etc using the tip about copying across mapsettings.cfg but................

now in order to leave my estate and join the nearby main road it wants me to avoid the direct route (350 yds) i.e. straight down the road I live on and go via 2 other back streets (about 600 yds) to get to the same point.

Somehow I don't think it's so clever as to realise that there are more cars parked on the 'direct route' because it will still always be quicker.

I await my first actual route plan with some trepidation.

I do note however that when I try to 'plan a route' it does ask for the actual time of day so it seems the 7/24 IQ routes are working with the new maps
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight annoyance.

Recently updated my TT500 to V7.9 OS and of course lost favs, speed cam warnings as the mapsettings file is different. Retrieved favs as has been posted elsewhere but had to reset all the cam warnings.

Connect today and of course get offered the 8.15 map. So did full backup before installing. Did install and as expected no favs and no speed cam warnings.

Simple I thinks, copy the mapsettings file from the backup I've just done.

But no doesn't work!!

Not the end of the world as favs are stored as POI its just resetting all the speed cam warnings.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've downloaded my latest maps for my GO 530, plus i also got some maps shares and gps fixes as well.
I'm so glad to have paid 12 months subs for get my maps updated, as i my case it works out at about £6.95 a quarter. Very Happy
Well worth the money. Laughing

Cheers

Keith

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a pre 8.3 mapsettings.config - my older back up worked fine while the one I took just before upgrading the map didn't

DinAlt
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it coincidence?

Yesterday, with v8.10 map, I made some mapshare corrections (fixed a street name, blocked off a couple of farm tracks).

Last night I installed v8.15 map, but in the process my mapshares got uploaded. This morning I downloaded the 9MB of pending map corrections.

Today I redrove the route I took yesterday, and all of the corrections were already in place, and one track which I had neglected to block was still unblocked.

So it looks like the corrections I made on the 8.10 map were applied to the 8.15 map, within 12 hours! Too good to be true?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I have seen 64mb free recently
The specification says 64mb RAM, so this looks rather unlikely.

Having installed app 8.300 and map 815 to my 920 yesterday, I have this evening reverted to my backup copy of 8.010 and 810.

For my 200 mile tour of The Valleys, boyo, today, it took just two miles to discover that the combination of 8.300 and 815 is a disaster. The map refreshes so slowly and the car icon moves so jerkily, I thought I'd gone back to the days of the early Daleks and was unhappy at getting through junctions quicker than the 920. The voice? The voice!! Computer voice navigation is a joke, it breaks up the words, instead of saying "After 200 yards, turn left" It says stuff like "Af..... t.......rds....t...rn....t".

What the dickens have TomTom done here? It feels like getting out of a Skoda Octavia and jumping into a Skoda 105. (For any youngsters, the 105 was before VW took over and it was one of the many Skodas supporting the jokes about doubling their value by filling them with petrol. I had one!! My daughter bumped it into somebody's car and cracked their rear light cluster, the Skoda 105 was written off - I was VERY happy to discover).

I feel terribly ashamed that in recent days I've recommended so many people to take on the Map Update Service - my own view now is that I've bought a pig in a poke. I can only run map 815 with app 8.300 (I did try with app 8.010 and it wouldn't), so if I want to use the first of my map updates, I have to use app 8.300. Same will apply to all future map updates which I've bought and paid for in advance. However, I have a job to do and using that map and app combination is a sick joke in which i have no confidence.

Today I had three devices on my windscreen ...
GO920 with app 8.300, map Western and Central Europe v815 and RDS-TMC (model 4V00.013).
GO720 with app 8.010, map Western Europe v810 and Bluetooth hands free to a Nokia 6230i.
HTC Advantage X7510 with TT Navigator 6 and UK&ROI map 675.

All three gave me identical routes, distance and ETA - no indication of IQ routes on the 720, nor of IQ2 on the 920.

Of them all, the worst performance was the 920, stuttering broken voice, slow and jerky display. When the 920 managed to string together a complete sentence it was gushing with extra superfluous bits of navigation. At first, the Traffic information seemed far better, with comments that the route had not been recalculated because there wasn't a faster route, or my ETA had been adjusted by the odd minute of traffic delay. But it was rubbish - forecast a 47 minute delay for the lane closures on M4 at Cardiff, which I ignored and sailed through - so the new improved verbiage was utterly pointless. The same old useless stuff in enhanced presentation is not what I'm looking for! I will add that the 920 has plenty of space for virtual memory - I took off the USA map long ago to give it plenty of breathing space.

The 920 is the top dog of the x20 range. I have been upgrading since 2005 from x00 through to x20 now and this should knock spots off the x00s. But it doesn't. There is absolutely no indication from this latest application and mapping update that the 940 will serve me well, so unless and until somebody demonstrates that at last the 940 does everything it says on the tin, I'm calling off my drooling tongue and won't be buying one.

Frankly, for what the "improvements" have done, I might just as well stick with the Advantage, Navigator 6 and map v675. I may look into the idea of getting TTN7 for a try, but why bother? TomTom have at last really let me down.

My opinion (as a techno dumbo) is that TomTom have exceeded the capacity of this design/specification. AlandEi says it's like running XP on a Pentium 2 with 64mb RAM and he's so right! Mine simply hasn't got enough oomph to get its voice together or wind the display at a reasonably smooth speed.

You want my advice? Simple, Do NOT "upgrade" to app 8.300 and map 815 - you'll regret it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TELREA
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like i have messed up.... Shocked Smile I bought a little TT ONE V4 about 1 week ago..a promotion code is included in the box,noticed from browsing the web that v8.15 maps for uk/ROI are released,so decide to use my code only to see that the maps are not made available for download so when i look at the other maps a box appers telling me my map is out of date and do i wish to buy v8.15 Rolling Eyes But like a pillock i stuck my promtion code in thinking i may be offered the map magically and now nothin Tom Tom reports the code as used and i have not even got the latest map Mad Is this a call to the dreaded TT support line that i hear bad reports about?Or is there a way to suss this one out?Besides the help is now closed so thats out the window for now....

TEL.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom map pricing Reply with quote

What's with this pricing? I am offered maps at £9.95 a quarter, a total of £37.80 a year yet when I look at downloading it, it costs over £59!! There is another £19 come from somewhere. If I deselect either of the two prices i.e. £37 and £19, the other one disappears as well.
So to me, it is not £9.95 a quarter unless the TomTom calander has 6 quarters in it! My map is six months old.
Any ideas please? Dennis has put me off now anyway but it would be nice to know what it means.
Doug Sad

Last edited by dougproctor on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Go 540 and Tomtom Home keeps on informing me that there are new maps out yet 'This item cannot be installed on your device'. Why even bother showing me the update then?? Pointless.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed this on any other machine apart from your current one? Or was this a downloaded map bought prior to your current 540?
If so, you've had it!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I have seen 64mb free recently
The specification says 64mb RAM, so this looks rather unlikely.

It's the bit where it says "64 MB RAM (free: 64.0 MB)", just down below

hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Have you installed this on any other machine apart from your current one? Or was this a downloaded map bought prior to your current 540?
If so, you've had it!

My 540 is running map version UK & Ireland v810.1934.

It's not a map I bought. I do have a subscription for map updates though.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called TomTom screwups! Does anyone know how this firm manages to stay in business?
Hello Garmin - are you any better?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: