Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 3.01 - do not use with iPAQ 2210!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 3.01 - do not use with iPAQ 2210!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 3.01 - do not use with iPAQ 2210! Reply with quote

Fresh from the TomTom support site:

Question
Update 3.01 (409/2) for TomTom Navigator 3 for Pocket PC

Answer
Is this update for me ?

This update should be installed if you have TomTom Navigator 3 for Pocket PC.

Note: Do not use this update for the HP 2210 . A new update for Hp 2210 will be available as soon possible .

Please note:

- You do not need to uninstall your current version.

- On an empty machine (e.g. out of the box, or after a hard reset), you do need to install TomTom Navigator 3 from the original CD(s) before you install this update. (Remark: This is wrong, you can install 3.01 without first installing 3.0)

- You will not need to re-activate your software.

- This update cannot be used with TomTom Navigator for Palm

- This update cannot be used with TomTom Navigator 2 for Pocket PC. Upgrade to TomTom Navigator 3 first using the special upgrade offer upgrade page

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting. I'm currently using 3.01 on my 2210. After working fine for two weeks, I got a couple of bluetooth dropouts today - the connection seems to be there, but the GPS position and status stops updating. I did turn the 2210 off without exiting TomTom earlier in the day (usually I exit first), which might be related - I'll be looking for the next patch with interest.
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Safe to use tt3 upgrade with iPAQ2210 Reply with quote

Following recent postings ref advice not to use tt3 upgrade with iPAQ2210. Does any one know if it is now safe to register for the upgarde or should I wait until it is tried and tested. I do not have many problems using the iPAQ 2210 with TT2 and Holux GR-230 BT GPS, as long as I (a) switch on BT and wait for say a minute (b) turn on iPAQ and activate Checkpoint which automatically starts TT2 (c) plan route. Exit programmes correctly at finish of journey.
I found Holux technical very helpfull in sorting initial problems with BT - They give as much time as you need to talk through the problem. Would not use any one else.
I really need TT3 for major maps of europe for this summer.
So should I wait.?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Don't wait.

It is not the upgrade from TT2 to TT3 that is the problem; it is the upgrade of TT3 from V3.0 to 3.01 and the 2210 that is the problem.

Make sure you make the point to TomTom that you have an ipaq 2210 and you should hopefuly get the V3.0 which will give you no problem with the ipaq (see my kit listed below)

TomTom will be releasing a V3.01 upgrade for 2210 owners in the (hopefully) near future

Cheers

Steve
jej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much research, I’d more or less settled on getting the IPAQ 2210 with TT3 and Fortuna Clip-on Bluetooth GPS. Then I found that the combination of TT3 and IPAQ 2210 is incompatible with the TT3 3.01 upgrade. So I’ve been holding back to see if this problem gets an early fix.

The previous post here suggests that the IPAQ 2210 is OK on TT3 v 3.0 … so how important is v 3.01 to functionality…. Is the 3.0 version usable? Is there something strange about the IPAQ 2210 that makes it the only PDA that’s having this problem? Would I be better off going for the IPAQ 4150?

If I do go ahead anyway and get the IPAQ 2210 and run TT3 on v.3.0 until the 2210 compatible V.3.01 comes out, should I do the ROM update to the latest version 1.10 or leave well alone… or does the IPAQ now come with the latest ROM version anyway?

Alternatively, if this issue with TT3 v.3.01 and the 2210 isn’t going to get solved soon, I might go for the Navman 4410. Mainly attracted to TT3 for its downloadable points of interest and speed-cam feature.

Any advice for someone completely new to GPS and PDA’s would be much appreciated.
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear from posts elsewhere in the forum, ie chris_de_wet’s post in the “tomtom and update 3.01” thread, that the full versions of TT3 presently being shipped are version 3.01.

As the upgrades from TTN2 are identical to the full TTN3 versions, ie the same CD’s, this slightly concerns me as I have an iPAQ 2210 which at the moment can only utilise version 3.00. There is no fix date for the 2210/3.01 incompatibility.

Having ordered the upgrade last week I am about to email TomTom and make them aware that I have a 2210. There is no point them sending me out a 3.01 CD if I can’t use it.

I’ll post back here with their reply.
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steveg and jej for your advice on the TT3 upgrade.

I have just gone through the process of ordering the TT3 upgrade on the TT website. However there is no indication of which version will be sent, or an option to choose version 3.00 which is compatable with iPAQ2210.

Is there another way to order the upgrade where a choice is given to the version ordered.

HP iPAQ2210 - TT2 - Holux Gr - 230BT GPS
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently running the GB retail version 3.00 (my inlaws bought it for me for my birthday... they didn't know that I could actually get the cheap upgrade to my version 2!). I've applied the 3.01 update on my iPAQ 2210, and all works perfectly fine.
jej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference my earlier post on this thread, the two subsequent contributions from Mears and Robbins further complicate my buying decision, since it appears TT3 v 3.0 may not be available anyway.

Re the comment from vlak, it is interesting that there is an example of the 2210 working OK, (perhaps even odd bearing in mind TomTom acknowledge a problem and are trying to fix it). Suppose I could buy all the stuff and send it back if it doesn’t work, but not keen on the hassle.

So maybe I must decide to sacrifice the speedcam feature of TomTom and go for Navman instead. Looking at the Navman forum, people seem to be having relatively few problems with it. Whilst extra features are nice, the overwhelmingly important thing is that the system is reliable and stable.

I settled on the IPAQ 2210 as my choice primarily because of the user accessible battery. I am well unimpressed by design features of some PDA’s which require return to workshop to have the battery replaced when the rechargeable battery gives up the ghost (as inevitably it will). However an alternative IPAQ model is another possibility, especially the IPAQ 4150 which seems to be a more recent release and is not that much more expensive. However, I don’t want to go for the 4150 only to find it has the same compatibility problems as the 2210!

I’m keen to make my purchase asap, and the delay due to confusion over these compatibility issues is frustrating. I can see there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum and advice / pointers on the above (and also the queries in my earlier post on this thread) will be really appreciated.
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: 3.01 (409/2) working ok on my 2210 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been running the latest version of navigator on my 2210 (actually an imported H2215 from the states) for over a week now coupled with checkpoint 3 & I have experienced no problems!

H2215 with Rom 1.10 & Globalsat BC307 (CF GPS)
clv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of warning to people who've experienced no problems with 3.01 on a 2210 or 2215. I think the key word is - yet. I used 3.01 on my 2210 for several short journeys, then on a 200 mile journey, with no problem at all. I was convinced it would carry on being OK. Only after that it started to go wrong. Once it froze 3 times on a 5-mile journey.

When there is a problem you can usually clear it by shutting down and restarting Navigator. I even assigned a hardware button to exit Navigator, and assigned the same button to restart it, so I could do this whilst driving. But eventually even that became too much of a pain, and I've gone back to 3.00.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that TomTom will leave this situation outstanding for long, nor do I think it worth trying to slow down an already ordered upgrade if you have a 2210.

Whilst I've yet to see an upgrade pack, I suspect it'll be pretty much the same as any other 'software only' copy of TomTom Navigator - one (or in the case of some versions, more than one) CDs in some kind of packaging, with a label containing a product code somewhere inside the package.

If the software in your upgrade pack is version 3.01, and you decide not to install that version on your 2210, you'll still have the two things you can't (legally) obtain other than via a purchase - a Navigator 3 Product Code, and the maps on CD. In this case, there's nothing stopping you putting the Navigator 3 pack in your desk drawer and continuing to use Navigator 2, then upgrading to Navigator 3 once TomTom release a new upgrade (which I can't think will be a re-release of 3.01 - I suspect the number will jump to at least 3.02 to try to avoid confusion).

I did the same with Office 2000 actually - I was entitled to a "free" upgrade, which I ordered - but I kept using Office 97 until Service Release 1 for Office 2000 came out. (I've now moved all three of my machines to Office XP, and have no intention of moving them to Office 2003 - the substantial costs involved don't seem justified).

It might be that waiting for a little while longer to install the Navigator 3 upgrade is the best policy if you are relying on your navigation system anyway. I'll certainly not switch to Navigator 3 for runs where I'm relying on the system until I've used it on several runs where I can navigate perfectly well by myself. Whilst it's no guarantee, this policy will provide a degree of reassurance that Navigator 3 is reliable on your hardware at the point when you wish to place some trust in it.

David
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An undated FAQ on the support site says "TomTom Navigator 3 update v3.01 (409/2) freezes on the HP 2210." with the answer "On certain Hp 2210's after the update v301(build 409/2) the pda freezes regularly. The cause of this problem is being investigated.We expect within a week to have a new update available that will solve the problem , until then we advise you to reinstall the software from the TomTom Navigator cd.Our apologies for the inconvenience."

The list of compatible PDAs for the upgrade however clearly states that the upgrade is compatible with iPaq 2210.

I ordered my upgrade on the basis that TomTom states it is compatible with my PDA - I never thought I ought to be grubbing around in the FAQs just to be sure it'll work!

Richard
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest version of TTN 3.01 (409/2) states "This version improves support for HP iPAQ2210 with a Bluetooth GPS receiver; this fixes reports of intermittent and random failing of the Bluetooth link between the GPS receiver and the HP iPAQ 2210."

What it should say is "This version is still a complete disaster and will cause your 2210 to freeze regularly even if it did not do so before"

The GPS only upgrade (3.02) works fine with TTN 3.00. Unfortunately, 3.01 upgrade for TTN fixes other things that i need sorted (itineraries) but just doesnt work.

I have tried clean installs, wiping my iPAQ and starting again (latest BIOS), installing 3.00 then 3.01 then 3.02, I have tried with and without Checkpoint and no matter how I install the 3.01 upgrade it still breaks my iPAQ every time even though it is meant to fix it.

I am very disappointed with this, my first foray into GPS by iPAQ. I posted a message to TomTom but no response. Should I expect support to improve with them? Are TomTom a decent bunch? Perhaps those of you who have been around here longer may wish to comment.

Mike
jmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything worked fine with TomTom 2 (after I got it sorted!)
Now with TomTom 3 i am back where I was about 5 months ago....
so many lock ups that it is impossible to use at the this time.
TomTom, .. I need a cure for the problems with your product and the iPAQ 2210. -- how much longer to wait??
John.

iPAQ 2210
Socket b/t GPS
TT3 Upgrade 3.01 (409/2)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: