Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 bluetooth vs. wired
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 bluetooth vs. wired
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: TT3 bluetooth vs. wired Reply with quote

Hello all, I've a newbie question for all you clever GPS aficionados, if you'd be so kind...

I've an iPaq 4150 and I'd like to add sat-nav to it for in-car use. I've read lots of reviews, and have decided on Tom Tom 3. At first I was planning on going for a bluetooth solution - TT3 and the Fortuna Clip-on - but now I don't know whether I shouldn't just go for Tom Tom's own wired bundle. Wireless would be tidier, but wired would be cheaper! Is there any difference in performance? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks (in advance!) for all your help...

Chris
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. Welcome

I don't have personal experience of the setups you are considering, but my boyfriend had a wired GPS mouse and then recently bought a Fortuna Clip-On. Unfortunately, as you may have already seen from previous posts, this unit has some issues with holding a charge.

He kept the wired mouse as well as a back-up, which proved invaluable, as if you are on a long journey and suddenly your wireless GPS packs up, you have an alternative, rather than being completely stuck!

So if you can't decide between the two and can afford to keep both, you might find this useful.

HTH.

Bo Peep.
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura, thanks for the welcome :D This kind of opinion and tales of experience is just what I was hoping for - reviews and spec lists can tell you all about the kit, but it's only the users who can tell you what it's like to live with it day-in, day-out. I've been hungrily reading through these forums, trying to make a decision.

Anyone else have any wise words?

Chris
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vindacatrix

I have just about the system you describe (see below) and have found no problem whatsoever with the fortuna and holding power (in fact I started to wonder if the blasted thing would ever power down - other than a silly panic I had at first caused by me leaving it switched on and flattening the battery). Fortuna seems a super bit of kit to me, TT3 is OK but just don't beleive all the features listed as some of them are not available yet (Traffic) and some plainly don't work correctly (Outlook integration).

You do however have one huge thing in your favour which I didn't when i first ordered and bought my system - you have found these forums!!! - I wish I had, not that I would have bought differently as such, but I would have been a lot more aware of POI software and other downloads, and I could well have saved a few pounds too

Good Luck

Steve Gillen
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, Bluetooth is fine if you are a person who remembers to charge his gadgets or mobiles. If you're a person who has a lot of chargers or forgets to charge them alot then you will find you'll probably run the battery down (most have around 8 hours use).

The mouse is a good setup, it also gives you a power cable for the iPAQ, where as Bluetooth in most cases you will need a seperate power cable for the iPAQ.
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve and Dave - all of this info is getting the gears in my head to turn (however reluctant they are to do so!) I'm disappointed to find out that TT3's Outlook integration isn't all that they talk it up to be - is there any sign of this improving?

Dave, I'm usually pretty good at remembering to charge my gadgets, although I do have quite a few chargers around the place. Some might say it's paranoia about the thought of having to face the world unaided by technology! I'd given a little (but obviously not enough) thought to charging the iPAQ - which, I now realise, rather undermines my idea of a wireless utopia Rolling Eyes How intrusive/bulky are the cables that the wired version of TT uses? Oh, and can you power the mouse from the iPAQ for those out-of-the-car-but-still-lost moments?

One other question (sorry!) - how does the wired mouse compare performance-wise to the Fortuna bluetooth option? I suppose I'm particularly thinking about the Fortuna's much-vaunted 'urban canyon' abilities...

Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Address lookups via outlook integration still isn't perfect, this is mainly due to TeleAtlas's database not being as accurate as NAVTEQ. TeleAtlas being the geodata (mapping) provider.

With a normal charger cable you'll have a cig lighter plug with a coiled cable going straight to the iPAQ.

With a mouse setup you'll have the same, but before it gets to the iPAQ it will reach a small square box (half an inch wide) and the cable will then split into two, one going to the iPAQ and one to the GPS Mouse sitting on the dashboard. You can conceal these cables fairly easily, if you don't want a completely permanent setup so you can use it in other cars, then you can conceal this by running it under the drivers seat or under the drivers mat, along the door seal and up to the dashboard so you can hide them fairly well.

Performance wise, 95% of GPS's now use the SiRF IIe/LP chipset, so from a the code in the chips, they're identical. The only differences come from the antennas used. Most BT GPS's are on par with Mouse GPS's and vice versa. You'll get the same sensitivity in urban canyons with all of the GPS's except that the Fortuna BT GPS does have XTrac ability which will help when receiving signals is difficult. If you have more bad data than good coming from the satellites, then this can give bad positional information and lag in driving position on screen. Some people see this more than others.

One other thing to bear in mind is the windscreen in your car. Some cars have a UV coated windscreen, like Renault's. This can dampen GPS signals and you may need a re-rad antenna if you have a UV coated windscreen.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I thought that I’d jump in and help/hinder (delete as appropriate)! ;)

I’ve never bothered with Outlook integration with TTNav2 and I probably won’t with TTNav3 either. What I used to do was to create and update a couple of POIs for “Friends and Family” and “Business Addresses”. I did this via the Streetmap website and converting Post Codes to longitude and latitude and then use Oldie’s WinOV2 program to convert into a POI. However since Niels Thomsen wrote his fantastic UK Postcode add-on to TTNav I’ve just used that. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

If you take time to hide the cables, then a wired set-up can be hidden well, although it does depend on the vehicle. I regularly drive a number of Land Rovers. One has the TomTom wired set-up in it, and in the others, I just use a Fortuna Clip-On and take a TomTom generic windscreen PDA holder with a PDA power lead Smile . Unfortunately, you can’t power the wired GPS mouse from the iPAQ for when you’re away from the vehicle. Sad

I’ve only had the Fortuna Clip-On for a fortnight. I've already had to send the original one back due to power problems and I’m currently on the second one. I’ve not been in any major urban canyon situations yet, but the Fortuna Clip seems to be as good as the TomTom wired GPS receiver and I reckon it may even be pulling in an extra satellite than the wired GPS. But this may be guessing, as you can’t run two at the same time on one PDA. Saying that I’ve not yet had the need to change the Fortuna from ST to XT mode. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, Privateer, any advice you might have is definitely a help and not a hindrance! I've already earmarked Niels' postcode search tool as the first thing to be installed following TT, and like you say I'll probably not end up missing Outlook integration at all.

I think I'm now leaning toward a wired rather than bluetooth setup. It shouldn't be too much hassle to snake the cables around the car (which doesn't have a UV-reflecting windscreen, happily), whilst still giving myself enough access to them so that I can swap them into someone else's vehicle should the need arise. The potential £££-saving is another big influence! If at some point in the future I find that I'm constantly having to move it all around, or wanting a system that I can use outside of the car, then I can invest in a bluetooth receiver. It doesn't seem like such an expense if you're spending it spread out!

It's reassuring to hear that most receivers will show generally similar performance. I was wary of buying something and then finding out it was bottom of the pile - that'd be typical of me!

Thanks again for all your help, it's really useful.

Chris
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of comments around in these forums and in supporting documentation with GPS equipment about the reflective windscreens, particularly on "Renaults". I currently use my TT BT GPS in my Renault Espace which has the reflective windscreen but I have the GPS cradle fastened on the back of my rear view mirror, and wired in permanently, which places it within the area of the screen which does not have reflective material. This is noticable by the clear square on the windscreen which is the area left without the reflective material in order to allow mobiles and other equipment to work in the car. Works with no problems at all.

My friend has the "Medion" kit from Aldi with the GPS placed on the dashboard of his new Renault Laguna and this also works no problems at all and he uses it on a very regular basis. He also has a speed camera detector that is located on his dashboard and works fine.

I also have a basic stand alone speed camera detector, purchased 2 days ago, which is positioned on my dashboard and does not pick up any of the cameras located around where I live.

If I use the GPS in my wifes Merc I hang it by the power cable wrapped around the rear view mirror and this also works fine.

Alan :D
ankers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Easier to operate with BT? Reply with quote

I am also going through the BT/not BT debate at the moment and more or less concluded that BT is the way to go because it will be easier to operate the nav software (select route, etc) with the Palm in hand rather than a holder. Am I right or (with non BT) can you select/plan the destination without the GPS connection?

TIA, Dave
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there would be one less wire with a BT receiver. I have the iPAQ in my hand and connected to the power cable when I select a route... it is much easier.

As far as Navman SmartSTv2 is concerned... Yes, you can plan a route without a GPS connection. You can see a route summary and have the route demonstrated turn-by-turn. Once it gets a 'fix' it will start to navigate from your current location.
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Dave and icsys both have good points. I guess BT is back in the running!

Thankfully my car doesn't have a UV-reflective windscreen, but cheers for the advice Alan :D

Chris
Vindacatrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to tag another question on - when you have TomTom running, can you also have Media Player playing mp3s in the background? Would the voice directions from TT just interrupt the music, or is it a case of if TT is running, nothing else can?

Thanks guys!

Chris
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think a PPC is powerful enough to do multi-tasking which, in effect, is what you are asking for it to do.

The more applications you have 'open' the more chance of a lock up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: