Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Possible device hijacking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible device hijacking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Possible device hijacking? Reply with quote

About 18 months ago, I bought a TomTom Go 910, to replace a stolen 700... I registered and activated it on my TomTom account, but left the 700 details on there, just in case anyone else attempted to register it after it was stolen.

It's been working fine, I've had traffic (plus) subscriptions, and had a map update provided shortly after purchase as the maps were out of date at purchase...

A few weeks ago (23 October to be exact) I plugged the 910 into Home, and decided to upgrade the maps again, and chose to subscribe to the Latest Maps Guaranteed service, at a total cost of about £79.

I believe I update the maps at that time... and a week ago, I had an email telling me new maps were available..

Today, I plugged the TomTom in to Home, and Home 2.4 tells me that my device is not the device linked to my account, and gives me the option of ignoring it (but not being able to purchase any extras for this device), or linking my current device to my account..
It lists the 700 unit (stolen) as still being the device linked to my account, despite it not being used for 18 months...

The thing that worries me is that choosing to link the current device to my account tells me that I can't do that, as I'm only allowed to change the linked device once every six months....

I haven't changed device in 18 months! And less than a month ago, I bought a subscription to the Map Update service, which when I try to run now returns a "Your Latest Map Guaranteed Option has expired" error message.

Has my device been hijacked in some way? Why isn't it linked to my account any more? I'm on Navcore 7.90, but can't get the 815 that are currently available.

Another worrying thing is viewing the details for the Latest Map Guaranteed option doesn't appear to show the 910 as being supported... yet it clearly was when I bought it, or I wouldn't have been able to pay for it!?
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you took that up with tomtom? There's a number you can call or you can contact them through their web page.
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to tomorrow.. This happened at about 7pm tonight.. 30 minutes after their telephone lines closed...

I'm seeing a few people experiencing problems with the latest updates so wondered if anyone else had this problem...

...and so annoying that every map update wipes out the 'warn when near POI' settings!!

J
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0845 161 0009 if you need the number.

For most map updates you simply copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the old map folder to the new one and all your settings will transfer with this file.
For some reason the format appears to have been altered with the advent of 8,3 software and v815 maps so for this release you do indeed have to re-enter all the settings (Full Speed Zoned should only take 5 Minutes though, and that includes time to drink a cup of tea) - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Possible device hijacking? Reply with quote

junction10 wrote:
About 18 months ago, I bought a TomTom Go 910, to replace a stolen 700... I registered and activated it on my TomTom account, but left the 700 details on there, just in case anyone else attempted to register it after it was stolen.

As you can only have one device linked to one account it is likely that the 910 replaced the 700, nothing sinister at all.
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what worries me though Darren, my 910 has been working fine with 'home' for the last 18 months.. even letting me buy the updated maps and subscription to the latest map guaranteed service less than a month ago.. now it's telling me that my 700 which was stolen 18 months ago is linked to my account, and won't let me set the 910 as my linked device as I'm only allowed to do it once every SIX months..
I've not had the 700 for 18 months, so couldn't change back to that one if I wanted, and since I only have the 910 ever connected to this computer, and never changed my linked device in at least 18 months, why is it telling me I'm only allowed to do it once every 6??

And as for buying a service less than a month ago and finding it's expired already... what worries me now though, is if you look at the product details for the Latest Map Guaranteed service, it doesn't appear to support the 910! But it obviously did when I bought it!
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to them.. apparently they're having some issues at their end and I'm not the only one experiencing this..

They've escalated my case... but have no timeframe on a resolution... Seems to be the story of my life at the moment, what with my 8 Seagate 1.5tb hard drives with dodgy firmware as well... but that's another forum. Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the latest map guarantee was not offered until the x20 range?

the 910 was not, if i remember correctly, included in the LMG offer. HOWEVER the up to date, 4 x per year map updates is a different thing entirely to latest map guarantee. maybe this is a part of the confusion?

MaFt
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

the 910 was not, if i remember correctly, included in the LMG offer. HOWEVER the up to date, 4 x per year map updates is a different thing entirely to latest map guarantee. maybe this is a part of the confusion?

Oh yes - that's my mistake! I meant map update service - however, when I choose to update my maps, it tells me there is an update available, but is trying to charge me for it.. even though I should be entitled to it for free... anyway, they're aware of the situation and are working on it..

J
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junction10 wrote:
Just spoke to them.. apparently they're having some issues at their end and I'm not the only one experiencing this..

They've escalated my case... but have no timeframe on a resolution... Seems to be the story of my life at the moment, what with my 8 Seagate 1.5tb hard drives with dodgy firmware as well... but that's another forum. Confused

FWIW, I too am in the queue waiting for this to be resolved. TT Home accepted my new device, got me the latest maps etc, then said to restart it and reconnect. And then it said I'd already changed my device so couldn't register. I'm stuck waiting for the resolution. Apparently lots of other people are too, but if it happens to you then you have to tell them so they can reset your account when it is fixed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: