Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommended 2nd hand platform for Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended 2nd hand platform for Memory Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Recommended 2nd hand platform for Memory Map Reply with quote

My Dad recently said he'd like a device with some easy-to-use off-road mapping for walking.

Having used Memory Map in the past I think this would suit him down to the ground but I was wondering if someone could make some recommendations as to particular devices to run it on?

Specifically, the prime requirement is that it must be cheap. I'm talking second-hand here. Of course there will inevitably be other factors that ought to play a role but to be frank as long as it works and is cheap then job's a good 'un.

I am assuming that older devices would unlikely to have built-in GPS and indeed I think there may be advantages for him to have a seperate GPS anyway - particularly with regards to maximising battery life and providing flexibility for us with other devices (his laptop for example).

Any tips? Even if nothing specific, a recommendation along the lines of 'any iPaq would do' is a good start.

Mathew
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I juts picked up a nice Road Angel 7000 of E-Bay for £70, runs Memory Map a treat.

Cheers

Neil
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really depends on how "Cheap" must it be?

I would have a look on e-bay for the XDA or similar range of PDA based mobile phones something like the HTC P3300 Artemis has built in GPS and they can be bought for £140 this does have built in GPS. Another one to look for is the MDA Comapt-III which is the same device as the Artemis less the WiFi. Even if you don't need the phone cabaility just use it as a PDA without a SIM card fitted. The other advantage the Artemis offers is that you can put it in an Otter box for added protection - not all devices will fit in these cases.

If you go down the route of an external GPS then make sure whatever PDA or PDA based phone you purchase has got Bluetooth. But bear in mind you will be spending over £30 on the GPS receiver, so the units with built in capabilities should be explorered first - Mike
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes, I should've quantified 'cheap'.

I'm thinking in the sub-£100 area and, if at all possible, sub-£50 (excluding GPS).

The main reason for the cheapness is that I'd like him to give him the opportunity to try the technology out and work out for himself what his 'ideal' feature set might. Whilst this may pave the way for newer better devices the experience might also highlight a preference for a paper-based map!

I had previously discounted the XDA approach as I was assuming that 'extra features' (such as GSM capability) would undoubtedly push the price up due to it inevitably being more attractive to most buyers.

I'll do some ebaying and see what the going rate is for what I am hoping it most people's idea of 'old junk'...!

Mathew
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with Memory-map on a HP IPAQ rx5720. It has a built-in GPS and includes Tom-tom and they coexist happily. Battery life is about 8-9 hours.

There's one on Ebay at £75 with no bids....
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Looks good. I think the landscape format would probably suit my Dad quite well (he's all finger's and thumbs so being able to hold it two-handed would probably be good).

I notice one sold for £50 recently so my Northern roots may prohibit me from bidding on that one, but I'll certainly keep my eye out for another.

Cheers,

Mathew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: