Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go x40 Questions and Gripes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go x40 Questions and Gripes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go x40 Questions and Gripes Reply with quote

Okay, so I've had my new 540 in my posession for a few hours now, and I've come across my first "I can't figure out how to do it" issue.

If I leave the TT in the cradle charging, but switched on, and do nothing on it for 5 min or so, it automatically shuts down (with a 10 second window to press "cancel"). Anybody know how I can disable this? I couldn't find anything myself in the options.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is working exactly as designed, in fact try switching it on in the car and not moving for a while - guess what......... it goes to sleep, nothing wrong with it, consider it as screen saver "feature" - Mike
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
That is working exactly as designed

I guessed that Smile but I'd like to disable it anyway. Note, in case it wasn't clear from the above that it actually turns fully off, it doesn't just blank the screen. Before you ask, I've checked, and the screen dimming is all disabled.
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a step ahead of me!

I installed TT Home, plugged the cradle into a USB port, popped my new 940 into the cradle and switched it on. After a few seconds, Windows Vista started to do it's thing with installing device drivers, and 10 seconds later, it told me "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed". Sad Sad Sad

But unlike Guinness2702, my 940 stays switched on.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyUK wrote:
You're a step ahead of me!

I installed TT Home, plugged the cradle into a USB port, popped my new 940 into the cradle and switched it on. After a few seconds, Windows Vista started to do it's thing with installing device drivers, and 10 seconds later, it told me "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed". Sad Sad Sad

But unlike Guinness2702, my 940 stays switched on.

I had this with my 940, but just undocked and redocked and it started working.

Can you confirm if Latest Map Guarantee gives you a sensible answer? It tells me that my maps are not suitable for latest map guarantee (rather than saying my maps are up to date).

Also, I thought the 940 active dock had an iPod connection. Mine does not. The only connection on the active dock is a USB connection. Wonder how you would use an external antenna?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Also, I thought the 940 active dock had an iPod connection. Mine does not. The only connection on the active dock is a USB connection. Wonder how you would use an external antenna?

As per the features and comparison table here, the full feature mount is an extra cost option across the range. This features an iPod-Connect port and Audio Out.

There is no external antenna facility on any x40 and to be honest given the sensitivity of current chip-sets these are pretty superfluous these days anyway.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
jonstatt wrote:

As per the features and comparison table here, the full feature mount is an extra cost option across the range. This features an iPod-Connect port and Audio Out.

There is no external antenna facility on any x40 and to be honest given the sensitivity of current chip-sets these are pretty superfluous these days anyway.

Thanks Darren. Another well known GPS site implied differently...that the 940 came with the full featured mount.

Also, your spec table implies that the FM only works with the mount. I have tried the FM transmit without any mount...and it works fine.
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
I had this with my 940, but just undocked and redocked and it started working.

I should have thought of that. I even work in the IT industry. And yep, undocking and redocking does indeed solve that problem.

jonstatt wrote:
Can you confirm if Latest Map Guarantee gives you a sensible answer? It tells me that my maps are not suitable for latest map guarantee (rather than saying my maps are up to date).

I get exactly the same ridiculous answer: My maps are not suitable for the latest map guarantee. So I don't know if that means the maps are up to date or if it means TT doesn't want to give them to me.

I also wanted to try out the "find me some cheap fuel". When I select it on the 940, it tells me that there isn't any fuel prices downloaded. When I try to download them on TT HOME, I get told I have to subscribe to it. I thought that there was a 3 month trial version of all the LIVE benefits included...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Thanks Darren. Another well known GPS site implied differently...that the 940 came with the full featured mount.

Indeed we were all under this impression until launch day!
Quote:
Also, your spec table implies that the FM only works with the mount. I have tried the FM transmit without any mount...and it works fine.

I did clarify this with TT as the original spec sheet was misleading and as it transpires, so was there answer!
TomTom wrote:
FM Transmitter is indeed not within the device. The FM Transmitter and MP3 playback is reserved now for the 900 series of devices.

I'll correct the comparison table in light of your finding. I should have checked my 940!
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyUK wrote:

I also wanted to try out the "find me some cheap fuel". When I select it on the 940, it tells me that there isn't any fuel prices downloaded. When I try to download them on TT HOME, I get told I have to subscribe to it. I thought that there was a 3 month trial version of all the LIVE benefits included...

That's strange. When I first docked with TT home it downloaded updates for safety cameras for all of Europe + so called "premium cameras" for the UK. It also downloaded the fuel prices.

When you docked yours with TT Home did it do the same?

Also, you MUST set your TomTom email address and password in the appropriate screen in TomTom services on the TomTom itself for all the 3 month services to start working properly
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:

Also, you MUST set your TomTom email address and password in the appropriate screen in TomTom services on the TomTom itself for all the 3 month services to start working properly

Ah.... Embarassed I hadn't realised that.

After entering the details, it now correctly downloads fuel prices and weather forecast.

Thank you for that tip! They could have mentioned it in the little leaflet that came with themachine...
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyUK wrote:
jonstatt wrote:

Ah.... Embarassed I hadn't realised that.

After entering the details, it now correctly downloads fuel prices and weather forecast.

Thank you for that tip! They could have mentioned it in the little leaflet that came with themachine...

Don't worry...its not clear anywhere...I just figured this out from previous units.

By the way, can you confirm that your unit did download European speed cameras when you first docked and it checked for updates? I wasn't sure if mine did this because I used the wrong email account at first (one from previous TomTom).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that is a subscriber here we'd welcome feedback on our data compared to RoadAngel's good and bad!
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
By the way, can you confirm that your unit did download European speed cameras when you first docked and it checked for updates? I wasn't sure if mine did this because I used the wrong email account at first (one from previous TomTom).

I don't think it did. So I plopped it into the dock and connected to the PC again and when it went through the "checking for upates", it now told me there were international speed cameras ready for download. One file for each of 11 countries.

So it sounds like they come when it has been docked a handful of times....
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive got mine.. Not too happy so far. It wont connect to live services even though i have vodafone reception. it just keeps saying unable to connect to server..

Anyone got any ideas?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: