Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-Pilot & Camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-Pilot & Camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Co-Pilot & Camera Reply with quote

Hi, new to Co-pilot, migrated from Tom Tom 6 as Tomtom seem to have abandened us PDA users. Very surprised by the quality of Co-Pilot, the maps seem very up to date and the software starts up quicker than my Tom Tom did and re-routes very quickly also.
Disapointed with the Co-Pilot Camera Database although, OK, I know its free, but it doesn't seem to have any mobile camera positions included and it seems very inaccurate. I also have a copy of Garmin XT, the software general isnt as slick as Co-Pilot, but the free camera data is very good and includes mobile sites.
My question is how does the PGPS camera data work with Co-Pilot. At the moment I get a spoken warning and a nice little screen apear that gives me the camera speed and my road speed beside it. Does the PGPS database intergrate with this or does it provide the camera locations on the screen like with Tom Tom, also, what sort of warning do I get, spoken like at the moment or a buzzer like with Tom Tom.
Also, if installing the PGPS database do I delete every file in the folder that begins with AO.
Any assistance would be appricated.

Also, can anyone tell me if its worth purchasing a Co-Pilot Traffic, how accurate is it, I found Tom Tom traffic disapointing, slow to present hold ups and even slower to remove them.

Sorry, didnt mean to post so long, hope I've not bored anyone

Regards

ian
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Good Forum! Reply with quote

Well Guys and Dolls, thanks for the help. I know you have probably already covered most of my questions elsewhere in the forums and website but some sort of acknowlegdement would have been nice.
I always buy a product on how quick the support is, for example Co-Pilot answered their phone very quicky although their email response seems less efficient.
All I wanted to know was what to expect with your camera database, does it work the same way as Co-Pilots for example. No reply and for obvious reason you dont provide one free database as a buy before you try.
I understand that you need to raise funds for the website upkeep etc and I have no objections to you charging for the database, but can someone explain why I should pay £16 for the database when I cant find out how it operates, no demo pics or screen shots and standard pre-sales questions on the forum are totally ignored.

Thanks for all the assistance

Ian Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ian, apologies for missing your forum post - it's been a busy and hectic time.

CP7 is one of the few navigation software packages that can make use of our directional alerts. you ALWAYS get a camera icon on screen (although CP7 uses it's default icon so no distinguishing between camera types) and the relevant speed is displayed along with a countdown in yards(?) to the camera. if you are travelling the correct way to get 'caught' you get a spoken warning along the lines of 'warning safety camera ahead'.

hope that helps

MaFt
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Heading on Camera Database Reply with quote

Hello,

I have recently purchased the Camera Database for use with Co-Pilot 7. I have downloaded the CSV folder and installed and all is OK and seems to be working, the problem is that I seem to be missing cameras. When I tested the database I found that there are a few errors on the database with regard to the direction and heading information as they only work in one direction, even although the lines for the camera appear on both sides of the road.
Is there Database as per the Co-Pilot one I've downloaded, with Speed Limit Indication etc, but without the direction / heading facility, I really don’t mind if I get alerts from cameras working in the opposite direction as any alert draws my attention to my road speed which is good.
Also, whilst I'm asking, the Co-Pilot camera icon is very poor, is there a way to download new icons that would enable me to see what sort of camera it is, i.e., Mobile, Spec etc.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Ian
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there are lines on both sides of the road it does not automatically mean that the camera is reversible

re the icons, there's no way to change these... shame really...!

MaFt
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt
That was a speedy reply, and I agree thats its a shame that custom icons cant be used.
Some of the cameras I've past havent come up on Co-Pilot but use to work with my old Tomtom Nav 6.
I dont know the co-ordinates but for example, a camera on the A14 junction 15 (just past Thrapston at the junction for Bythorn as per Google Maps UK heading east towards Huntingdon) didnt register on the Co-Pilot, yet it worked on Tomtom Nav 6 with a very old PGPSW database and works with my daughter Garmin XT Database.
Is this a bug in the Co-Pilot, a fault in the database or has that camera beed decommsioned but left in place?

Its nothing personnal, just trying to work out why some cameras alert and other don't.

Regards

Ian
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ian,

if you have a look at this thread it would seem to be copilot7 itself rather than the database

MaFt
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, they seem to think it’s caused by the Heading Data also, perhaps too much information to process by the software after all, the PPC do have an infinite amount of processing power. Mine runs the Sat Nav, Bluetooth, GPRS/3G as well as the operating system.

So it’s back to my original question, which Database can I use that doesn’t have the Heading Data included, I suspect that it would be any CSV file. Am I right in think that Co-Pilot will also convert OV.2 also making it possible to download the Tom Tom files?

Regards

Ian
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not an issue with the heading, more the software's utilisation of the heading data...

as far as i remember (and i've not used copilot for a while) if you use ov2 files it won't work as a camera warnings, they will only show as pois but without warnings.

maybe that makes sense....!

MaFt
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt

Thanks for the reply, I think we both have the same idea, the Co-Pilot software seems to struggle with the cameras that have heading data that indicate which way the camera is working, which is what I said in my previous post, you guys arent half sensitive about your Camera Database so just to reassure you, I think it is Co-Pilot thats at fault, not PGPSW's Camera Database.
Getting back to the issue although, is there an alternative Database I can download that doesnt have the Heading Data or is the Heading Data included in all the formats and only used by the software that can use it. I wouild still like the speed to be defined so the single database wouldnt really help.

Regards

Ian
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always open up the copilot file in excel (or equivalent) and remove the column with the heading data?

at least then it is still in the required format to be used as camera warnings (as opposed to just a poi file) but you won't be affected by the 'not perfect' direction/heading support.

regarding our sensitivity i read your post as saying the heading data is wrong (at fault) - hence me highlighting it was the software's use of it!! Rolling Eyes

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: