Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765T - Anyone here got one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765T - Anyone here got one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren..............why mate? Sad

please explain and save me from a life of eternal damnation! Laughing Out Loud

according to the woman at Halfords, IF you get a Problem with a Garmin, they allow you to take it back and exchange it, however..... IF you get a Problem with a TomTom unit, they will NOT let you exchange it, it HAS to be sent back for Repair to TomTom itself, what does that say to you? Laughing Out Loud
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot! The x40's are plagued by issues, take a look at the discussions. If I was going to go for a TomTom instead I'd be looking at an x30. You realise that the x40 services entail a £7.99 per month subscription after the trial period?
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok then, how are you finding your Garmin 765T then?
any re-boots or re-starts or ANY problems you have noticed?
do you think that Garmin will sort this out with the next Software Update?
or is it the same as "how long is a piece of string" ???
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few issues, some un-commanded restarts etc but on the whole it's 'ok'. I must admit that given the choice I'd choose my 720 in preference though.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see, is it worth me hunting down a TomTom go 720 or 920, or better still a 730 or 930 ?

which out of all of the above is best for a Heavy User like myself, i travel all over the UK, IRELAND, WALES, SCOTLAND, BELGIUM, HOLLAND, GERMANY AND FRANCE....

want to make sure i get "the most accurate maps"

i noticed when i have a TomTom One with all the latest map updates, it couldnt find a few addresses in the republic of ireland, where as my new Garmin found them all, and it hasnt sent me down any NO ENTRY roads.....so far! Shocked
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
i see, is it worth me hunting down a TomTom go 720 or 920, or better still a 730 or 930 ?

930 just adds US mapping and the Gyro, you can live without them.
Quote:
which out of all of the above is best for a Heavy User like myself, i travel all over the UK, IRELAND, WALES, SCOTLAND, BELGIUM, HOLLAND, GERMANY AND FRANCE....

720 or 730. The additional services on the x40's work ONLY in the country of purchase so you would not have HD Traffic etc when abroad anyway.
Quote:
want to make sure i get "the most accurate maps"

i noticed when i have a TomTom One with all the latest map updates, it couldnt find a few addresses in the republic of ireland, where as my new Garmin found them all, and it hasnt sent me down any NO ENTRY roads.....so far! Shocked

Garmin use Navteq, Tomtom use TeleAtlas.

On the whole there isn't a lot between the two except that Navteq has much better coverage in the ROI, TeleAtlas is getting better but still not as good. For most other places they are as good/bad as each other.

If you can find a 720 it can be upgraded to v8 for free and if it's a new or factory refurbed model you'll get a free map update. That then brings it up to the same spec as a 730 and you'd have change from the money you spent on your 765T.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Much Darren, im gonna see how i get on with my Garmin
if i have any problems, i will pop in Halfords on Monday and have decided to go with this model

as of tomorrow, it will give me until late Sunday night to test my 765T
im leaving in the morning at 7am from Oxford on my way to Swansea to pick up our Guitarist, then onward to Fishguard Ferry Terminal, jump on the boat......arrive into Rosslare in Southern ireland, then onward to my friends house in Cork... up the next day and off to Galway, back to Cork, then to Waterford and back to Rosslare and home to England Shocked
if the Garmin goes off or re-boots, re-sets or blows up, i will let you all know, fingers crossed it doesnt as i want to keep it really! im really pleased with it and all its little features, coming from TomTom i am more than impressed with it....

anyway, catch you all soon! bed time! Very Happy
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it! i spoke too soon AVForums Link
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the ****** are you looking there for GPS Issues Laughing The 730 is just as reliable as earlier devices, it doesn't have a hard drive as claimed in that post either!
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
I called Garmin and they have never heard of the fault. Yesterday and today, my 765t shutdown after about 30 minutes and refused to turn on until after an hour - almost as if there was some form of safety cut-out to stop the unit overheating. No matter what I did or what parts of the screen I pressed to access the "hidden" screens it wouldn't turn on, yet an hour or so later it would turn on fine, until left on for over 30 mins.

According to the shutdown log it was an RTL trap but I think this is a standard unauthorised shutdown log from what Garmin have told me / asked to have details of in the past.

Unit was running 4.50 and I've now exchanged in Halfords for one running 4.30 (Garmin Speed Cam database 1st Oct - so fairly new production batch) which I'll keep at 4.30 for now. I couldn't see any improvement in 4.50 and if anything the sound seemed lower in volume and fewer street names appeared.

I have a new 765T purchased from Amazon UK. It shows the software version to be 2.80 and not 4.5. I have done a Webupdater and I apparently have the latest update. Can anyone enlighten me please
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
I have a new 765T purchased from Amazon UK. It shows the software version to be 2.80 and not 4.5. I have done a Webupdater and I apparently have the latest update. Can anyone enlighten me please

That's what I see on mine too so I'm not sure where the references to 4.5 come from Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nuvi software (Beta 2.31 above) is the Firmware that gets updated from time to time. It runs the menus, functions, display etc

The GPS software is the GPS receiver chipset firmware. I'm not sure if this ever gets updated by WebUpdater (i don't remember it ever being offered) or if it's set once it leaves the factory.

ETA: After checking Garmins website and other sources i can't see where anyone is getting 4.50 / 4.30 from.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote 'Unit was running 4.50 and I've now exchanged in Halfords for one running 4.30'
If this is the firmware number, that may be your problem. The 765T is only on 2.50, I think you will find the 760's run that firmware, maybe you have somehow loaded the wrong firmware?
TomTom Go 700
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glynned wrote:
BAVC10 wrote 'Unit was running 4.50 and I've now exchanged in Halfords for one running 4.30'
If this is the firmware number, that may be your problem. The 765T is only on 2.50, I think you will find the 760's run that firmware, maybe you have somehow loaded the wrong firmware?

Or maybe he had a 760?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

760 is only up to 4.20 and we're awaiting the fabled 4.30 which will hopefully cure the last few known bugs....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: