Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765T - Anyone here got one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765T - Anyone here got one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
Darren, is the ALG not available for the 760's?

??? A L G ???...... pardon my ignorance but what does that stand for ?
Citron
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALG = Advanced Lane Guidance is actually TomTom's acronym. Garmin call it Lane Assist.

It's a pictorial display of which of the multiple lanes you should be in for the next turn. It takes two forms, a small arrow display on the map and on some roads, particularly m-ways, a full screen representation of the junction i.e.

citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 765 Reply with quote

thanks for that.. I've just bitten the bullet and had one today from Amazon, so far have found the following lacking compared with my 660..
1,no facility to receive and send text via bluetooth
2.No facility to see strength and number of sats beeing received ( I know its not essential but interesting at times) !!

What I would like is to be able to transfer all my poi from 660 to 765,, is this possible? Ive tried Mapsource that came with my old SP 111 but it does not recognise nuvi models.

What I do like however is the ability to plan and save favourite routes etc.
Further report in due course !!
Ron
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the signal strength bar display for a couple of seconds. Should bring up the sats screen.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the upgrade to firmware 4.50 seems to reduce the number of road names that are displayed when the map is zoomed out??

ie on Motorways you would often see one or two road names pop up and the Motorway No. in a white box - since version 4.50, these have disappeared, although the road names seem to display at the same level with "town" driving - setting on "High"
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 765 T Reply with quote

Sorry to say but my new 765 is on way back to Amazon. It worked fine for a few days then today, in the middle of a journey, it went 'dead'. I just can not get it to restart. A great shame because I think it was a big improvement on my 660.
With ref to my previous query re transferring data --- I discovered that by updating my old Mapsource software which came with the Street Pilot 111, I was able to get it to recognise both the 660 and 765, and therefore transfer all my waypoints ( POI's) from 660 to 765. With this software you can also transfer your tracks and routes from the 765 to PC and vice-versa just as you could with the Street Pilot.I find this is a great benefit when going on a long journey to new territory as you can preview and amend the route in better detail on your laptop etc
I also discovered that traffic info was much more readily available in my area; getting info in places the 660 gets nothing. I am not giving up on it yet, when the refund comes through from Amazon I will get a new one locally from Halfords at the VAT reduced price and hope that the fault with the first one was a 'one off '
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame you didn't post here first, there are a number of procedures to restart these devices in such situations which might have resolved your issue.
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS !!!!!!!
Thought mine was a one off, how do you restart them then?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of them, one is to turn it off. Then place your finger on the bottom right of the screen. Press and hold whilst you turn it on.

At the prompt answer 'yes' and it will restart. You do lose stored favourites etc doing this.
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, I'll remember that if I get a new one and that locks up the same!
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 765t died too today. I have had a few random shutdowns with the unit re-booting. Today it just died, master reset did nothing, holding the screen in the corner to erase all data or upper corner to go into system boot-up did nothing. In the end, I held the switch over to the left for 1 minute and the unit finally came back into life.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there was me thinking mine was the only unit to do the reboot etc!

thank god its not just me, i think i may take mine back to HALFORDS and get something else, i cant say i didnt give Garmin a try, had the Nuvi 265WT, had to take that back because the speaker was distorting, then changed it for the Nuvi 765T and got the reboots, shouldnt have to do this when you fork out all this damn money, has anyone rang up Garmin to ask what they can do about it?
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Garmin and they have never heard of the fault. Yesterday and today, my 765t shutdown after about 30 minutes and refused to turn on until after an hour - almost as if there was some form of safety cut-out to stop the unit overheating. No matter what I did or what parts of the screen I pressed to access the "hidden" screens it wouldn't turn on, yet an hour or so later it would turn on fine, until left on for over 30 mins.

According to the shutdown log it was an RTL trap but I think this is a standard unauthorised shutdown log from what Garmin have told me / asked to have details of in the past.

Unit was running 4.50 and I've now exchanged in Halfords for one running 4.30 (Garmin Speed Cam database 1st Oct - so fairly new production batch) which I'll keep at 4.30 for now. I couldn't see any improvement in 4.50 and if anything the sound seemed lower in volume and fewer street names appeared.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting.....
i phoned Garmin back today and of course they denied ALL knowledge of this problem (what a Surprise)
i then rang the very nice Halfords Manageress where i purchased the 765T, and explained my problems with coming from TOMTOM to GARMIN and having nothing but problems, she suggested i tried my Garmin Unit this weekend when my band and i travel to ireland to do some shows, and IF i get any re-starts or re-boots or anything going wrong, then i can return this unit on Monday and pay an extra £30 and exchange it for this

the annoying thing is, i really really like the Garmin!
i just wish it bloody worked properly!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
then i can return this unit on Monday and pay an extra £30 and exchange it for this

Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Proceed with caution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: