Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin XT phone software £16.99 (£29.99 Europe)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin XT phone software £16.99 (£29.99 Europe)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, are you sure you want one? Its Garmin not Tomtom!!!!! You might be converted?!?
CliveBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
First post to the site, I tried to phone the local shop (Plymouth) and after numerous options to press got the central sales place, they said there was no stock at Marsh Mills (Plymouth) however if I wanted to I could order over the phone as they had some in stock. Good thing was post is free as well, could be sent by courier or Royal Mail and should be here Tuesday
Can't be bad!
Wanted to wait for new TomTom PDA software but judging by other posts I may be too old to need it by the time they offer any upgrade!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Dennis, are you sure you want one? Its Garmin not Tomtom!!!!! You might be converted?!?
Three factors attracted me.
1, Free traffic - I have the TomTom RDS-TMC "free" traffic at the moment and it will be interesting to compare them - who knows, one of them might even get it right. Rolling Eyes
2, The free cameras - not to use them, everybody agrees that the pgpsw cameras are the best on the market, but simply to compare them - we've already seen posts that the Road Angel cameras on the new TomTom x40 range are no good, so it'll be interesting to see another set (I've been toying with the idea of subscribing to TT cameras for ages now, so that every time I say they're no good it's because of absolute up to date latest testing, Garmin for £16.99 is cheaper than TT cameras).
3, The price - let's face it, £16.99 was an absolute steal and I'll probably sell my McGuider for at least twice that much.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note of warning, I upgraded XT from 4.2 to 5.0.
5 looks nicer but has quite a few quirks with respect to routing.
When I select 'shortest' it sends me 'off-road'.
And when I select fastest it selects Highway-1 and vice versa.
If I select Highway-3 then it displays 'shortest' as being the routing option.
Screen updates are also much slower and choppier than on 4.2.
I'm going to roll back the application.

Also, POI alerts on the 4.2 app are nicer - a big text display at the top that is legible. V5 just has a small alert bubble on the screen - neater and more professional, but not easily visible.

I'm not a pgpsw subscriber so I can't say how good the Garmin database is in comparison, but it has the camera locations where I often drive in London so it's not terrible.
Although from a retail company I still think snooper is the best 'off-the-shelf' non-community based option out there.

Also with most people getting some free internet allowance the garmin services are handy. I've never seen traffic on a gps to really work so it is interesting to see if it is better. They do seem to be low on bandwidth as the updates are fast.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i quite agree for the price its a 'no brainer', the traffic will come in very useful, as has been said quite quick. I'm just disappointed that i can't get v 5 to work on my symbian nokia, having read a few forums v 5 is not great on symbian based devices, bit slow/resourse hungry, probably depends on what phone your using.
Johnny_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned CPW today and ordered the software, it's on back order but they say it will definately come back in and works great with the Nokia E71. I'll wait to see on both accounts! The sales guy was really friendly and helpful so hopefully it'll turn up.

Last edited by Johnny_boy on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had a couple of tries with it now and finding it "difficult". The GUI is so different from TomTom that I'm struggling. There is no manual whatsoever, so all I've done is stick the card into the hole in the Advantage and answered YES where it seemed appropriate and it installed itself, but how to proceed once I loaded it up?

I have not yet seen anything by way of cameras - maybe I have to tell them to activate and I haven't found out how to do that yet. Traffic happened, without me activating anything, as a small red triangle which, when tapped, displayed something. It seems to display the triangle when there is traffic about, and it disappears when the traffic does the same.

I'm hugely disappointed with what I assume is the normal display after I have overcome the mysteries to manage to tell it to take me somewhere. All it shows whilst driving is my speed and ETA. I can't find any way to say what the distance to destination is, either before setting off, or during the journey and I can't find a way to display an overview of the route so that I can get an idea of how it gets there - I have no idea where I'm heading, simply blindly follow the immediate route and whether it's going via London or Edinburgh or Swansea I have no idea. Even a manual as bad as the TomTom one would be something!

I must stop at this - it's not fair to judge it after trying in my usual manner to run it from scratch without a manual and just by poking at things. Weekend coming up, perhaps I'll have time to look at it properly?

portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
If you have a route set click on the top green banner of the map display to see a breakdown of the route, you can click on each turn to see a little map of each one. If you want to view the whole route, click 'tools' then 'browse map'.
To see the 'distance to go' click on the 'speed' in the bottom left of the map display.
For speed cams go to 'tools', 'settings', 'proximity points'. You may need to go to 'garmin online' on the device to download the latest safety cameras.

You may want to update the software on the Garmin website to v5, this adds a couple of extra features. Obviously make a back up copy of the SD card first!!! But i think you know that one already!!

update software
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-11034-00

Magic Manual!!
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-11034-00&cID=138&pID=11413
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Dennis ...........
Oh gosh, thank you so much.

Could I trouble you for a bit more before I get stuck into that manual.

1. How do I know what software version I have? Update seems to be different ones for different versions. Hardware is HTC Advantage X7510 with built in GPS and Windows Mobile and a kitchen sink - if there's anything it hasn't got, I don't suppose I'd want it anyway!

2. Can I do the updating via card reader or have I to go through the game of using the device? On reflection, I have Internet Explorer and wi-fi and GPRS, so I suppose that's an option?

portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the version number from ,'tools,settings,about', almost certainly v4.2. To update you can just use the card. You'll need 'Ver. 5.00.20w'(6th one down). When you update the windows mobile version it goes in to garmin/apps/WM on the card.
To add different vehicles just put them in the 'vehicle' folder'.
BUT, to add POI's and the cameras from this site you'll need POILoader. Put all the poi's and cameras from this site in one folder, call it whatever you like(you can have more folders within it e.g fuel or shops etc) then use poiloader to send that folder to the XT card, it will then get converted to the correct format for Garmin to read. You can't just add the poi's/cameras on the garmin like you can with Tomtom.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you portman, most helpful. I did try downlaoding the update directly onthe HTC, but it wouldn't run under Windows mobile, so then I followed what you said and downloaded it to the PC, then did it to the cvard in the card reader. I now have v5.00.20. I have it set to Garmin online "always", as I have unlimited GPRS service (I hope!). Oh, by the way, I did know about POILoader (just a little - I owned a Nuvi for 24 hours once).

That's as far as I've gone for now as I'm in the middle of multi things - keeping up with the forum via the PC, doing stuff to our new summerhouse, trying (with difficulty) to edit our holiday video on my MacBook Pro 17. Not as much free time this weekend as I fondly imagined yesterday!

Thanks again. I'm glad to see there are helpful people on the Garmin side as well as where I'm accustomed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: