Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi205w lockup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi205w lockup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Nuvi205w lockup Reply with quote

Hi! I was trying to upload a POI file to my Nuvi and have botched up. I created a MyData file under the root folder on the Garmin and copied the poi file to this. On removing the Usb cable the unit part powers up (screen says "loading maps") then shuts down. If I connect the usb cable the unit doesn't connect to the pc. Can someone help me out please?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I created a MyData file under the root folder on the Garmin and copied the poi file to this.

Can you explain why you did this? Did you mean MyData folder?

Have you tried a reset? Hold you finger on the screen at the bottom right and switch on. Hold finger down until given the option to reset user data. Select Yes and let it reset - may take a while - just leave it.
Seagoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - sorry meant folder. Wanted to upload Postcode poi and 1st attempt to data card didn't seem to work in that I couldn't find them to access them. So I copied the file to the aforementioned folder. Thanks to your pointer I've now got the unit back up again and the folder deleted. Can you possibly direct me to some tutorials for adding and managing Poi's?

Thanks again for your help and swift reply - sorry for being a pain!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Ok first of all what files do you have? You should have a datafile, which could be in CSV or GPX format and a Bitmap (BMP) file which is the icon you wish to use.

Both should have the same name i.e.. Petrol Stations.CSV and Petrol Stations.BMP. Move them to a folder on your PC called MyPOIs.

You need a program called POILoader from here. Download and install it. Plug in the Nuvi and run POILoader. Follow the on screen instructions and when asked browse to the MyPOIs folder. POILoader will convert and upload the POIs to your Nuvi. They will then appear under Where to? Extras, Custom POIs.

Now every time you load new POIs POILoader wipes out all the old ones, so you need to maintain the MyPOIs folder on your PC with all the POIs you wish to use. Each time you change / add / delete a POI you need to re-upload the lot again.

Any problems - ask.....
Seagoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - Thanks for the instructions - I've tried them out and it all makes sense now!!!!
Seagoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - to answer your other question - I have a Garmin 205W. Also use a Garmin Vista Hcx for off road walking etc. Thanks again!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: