Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Latest Map Service Reply with quote

Hi all

Quite possibly against my better judgement, I signed up for this "latest map" thing. I have a TTG720, and am currently running W&CE 705.

I paid my £70 - confirmed as having been paid by the bank, and in my TomTom account. However, straight after the payment confirmation in TomTom Home, I got an error message and it bombed me back to the main Home screen.

I can't find any option in TomTom Home which allows me to avail myself of a new map update.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it 24 hours to see if they are having server problems (which happens a lot!).

If no joy, then ring them on 0845 161 0009 (Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 18:30 GMT (every first Wednesday of the month: 09:00 to 18:30 GMT))
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Seems I've sorted it. When launching TomTom Home I was selecting the internal memory (where the TT app is stored) and not the 4GB SD card (where my current W&CE map is stored).

TTH must check for available space on the 'device' upon launch, and only offer stuff that will fit !! When I selected the SD card, the updated map was offered to me. My mistake!

Downloading now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke too soon Sad

Map downloaded to SD card, but when I try to switch to it I'm told "You cannot use this map on this device: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-19".

I despair ....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated the software too?
You need to be running v8.300 or later (or unofficially v8.240) software to use the latest maps.
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah, the software updated. It's one of the first things that was auto-updated last night, before I decided to do the map update thing.

Could this have something to do with the fact the software is on the TomTom "device", whilst the map was downloaded to the memory card "device"?
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, get a fast (x130) memory card big enough to support both system files and maps all on one.
A TT always reads from external memory first, so it will boot from the card.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoch wrote:
Spoke too soon Sad

Map downloaded to SD card, but when I try to switch to it I'm told "You cannot use this map on this device: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-19".

I despair ....

I think you can only get Western Europe map for the 720.

I tried to get WCE 2GB map a few months back on my 720 and I was sent an old version, and needless to say was not happy and contacted TT Support, and they gave me the latest Western Europe Map.
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map won't work on the 720 ??

TomTom Home knows I have a 720. My TomTom account knows I have a 720. TomTom Home even offers me the W&CE map, and takes my money for it too!

It had better work on the 720 !!

Will call TT Support later. Not looking forward to that, based on bitter past experience.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can't offer any help, I can confirm that the W & CE map works fine on the 720. That's the map I am running on my 720 and it has no problems whatsoever (latest maps are installed 8.15 - just waiting for the new release).
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message about a map not being able to be used on this device can have various causes. This usually happens when the map is downloaded for another device. If this has happened you will see the message in red type when looking at the list of maps :"This item cannot be installed on this device because of content restrictions" If you then click on this map in the list you will see the error message in red: "This item does not work on your device. Therfore, it cannot be installed"

If this is the error you are getting have you tried to see if your other device recognises this map? You could have been logged in the wrong account or had the other device connected when you ordered or downloaded the map?
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I only have one account, and one TomTom device. When I start TomTom Home, it asks me to select a 'device' - either the TomTom itself, or the SD card within it.

The map was downloaded to the SD card, as there was insufficient space on the TomTom itself, and I'm not familiar with the content of the actual devices to know what can be safely 'trimmed' from them.

I guess I'll need to speak to TT Support, and suffer the increase in blood pressure which will no doubt result... Sad
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in your TomTom Home downloads folder on your PC and see what you have there. The folder is usually ..HOME\Downloads\complete\map\Western__Central_Europe

In this folder you should see the following files:

activation_map_5****.cab
map****.gif
map****-1.gif
Western_and_Central_Europe.toc
Western_and_Central_Europe.zip

If you have all these files the download has probably worked correctly.

One thing to check is to open the Western_and_Central_Europe.toc in a text editor such as Notepad and find the lines:

contentprotection scheme="durham" devicecode="ABCDEF123FG"/
InstallRestrictions deviceId="ABCDEFG123FG"/

The ABCDEFG123FG should be the device code for your TomTom unit, which you can find under show version or from the satellite bars. If the device code does not match, the file will not install as it is not intended for your individual device. There are also lines in this file showing the intended device types.

If you have all the above you could try and manually install them to your SD card. To do this you need to create a folder on the SD Card called Western_and_Central_Europe. You then need to extract into this folder on the SD Card the contents of the Western_and_Central_Europe.zip file and the single meta-dct file content from activation_map_5****.cab. Recent versions of Windows will allow the extraction of these but if your PC system does not let you do this you need Winrar or Winzip programs to do this and you can get free/limited versions of these on the web.

This might seem complex but it hopefully will help you.
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I do have the files you mention, and the .toc file correctly states my device code, and confirms support for the TTG720.

I've tried your manual install also, but to no avail.

I called TT Support. They suggested the download might be corrupt, so on their advice I deleted everything, re-downloaded. Same error Sad
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info: Sorted.

According to TT Support it was a "certificate issue".

Thanks to all for the advice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: