Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that for us x30 users the new 815 map is needed for the updated IQ info (24x7).
This could be useful, but I for one will not be giving TT another penny until the HD Traffic is available for me.
My TT Traffic expires on 1st December but I will not be renewing that.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
Looks like something is happening - however slowly..

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=live&FID=9603

Have to say that although some of us may have acted /posted prematurely it speaks volumes that pretty much everyone's expected the worst of Tomtom..

DinAlt

Has anyone received any further updates on the HD receiver, the above URL appears to have been changed and no longers shows the HD traffic reciever and the UK spelling mistake has been corrected.

TomTom are still refusing to provide me with any release dates and are refusing to confirm if the product will or will not be released in the UK. Even the directors of the company are refusing to answer any questions relating to this matter.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMikeE wrote:
I see that for us x30 users the new 815 map is needed for the updated IQ info (24x7).
This could be useful, but I for one will not be giving TT another penny until the HD Traffic is available for me.
My TT Traffic expires on 1st December but I will not be renewing that.

I also will be joining this growing band, TT must realise that in the current financial climate, TT users will not blindly purchace a "new range" of devices to be able to use new functions that had been previously promised to earlier models

SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now official, all those new x40 users are testing the HD Traffic services and it is unstable.... I have put pressure on TomTom for confirmation as to when/if they will be releasing HD Traffic in the UK, and this is the official response:

"Our technical department are continuing testing of the part, however at this moment they do not have a stable enough outcome to confirm the release on the UK network"

Yet again another untested product released in the UK ! ! !
RichardJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, TomTom didn't say that HD Traffic itself was unstable, they said that the adapter (which connects into the devices) was being tested and was not currently proven. Bear in mind that this opens another hornets nest - mobile reception if it's tucked down in some car bodywork etc. Communications between the device and x20\x30 firmware etc..

That said - car's in the netherlands are the same as the uk (with the exception of having the wheel on the WRONG side Wink ). Given vodaphone's network is pretty good, makes you kinda wonder!

Personally I'm just going to buy another licence for my ancient YQ2 as I haven't found anything else to beat it. I did consider upgrading to a 940 but am not convinced it's worth the money....

Rich
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardJB wrote:
Personally I'm just going to buy another licence for my ancient YQ2 as I haven't found anything else to beat it. I did consider upgrading to a 940 but am not convinced it's worth the money....

Crikey, I used to use one of them, didn't know you could still get Key's for them, how much is a 12mth key these days?
RichardJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YQ2 - I usually buy a 3 year jobbie of ebay Smile .3 years is about £100 so not far of GPRS traffic prices (officially it's £110 a year....)

On my morning run up the M3 it's only usually the trafficmaster that shows anything. It's very rare for GPRS Traffic to report any issues...

Yep - the YQ2 is a brick! Having said that, it's a valuable brick when travelling from hampshire to the North east - has proven far more use than GPRS traffic.

I was hoping to get rid of it with the coming of HD traffic - hey ho....

Rich.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered TrafficTV, costs about £40pa, runs on PDAs and many mobiles using TrafficMaster data? You can also see many Highways CCTV camera images and incident reports.

It does not mention it but it can also use GPS data and position you on the traffic map.

I have used this for years and it is as good as the TT GPRS data. I used to run it on the PDA with TT6 but now run it on my WM6 mobile, although the screen is a little small.

TrafficTV
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Traffic TV subscription.

It was hopeless.....

A lot of the time the servers were down meaning no traffic information and when there is a big jam with an accident the cameras are always switched off so you can't see the volumes of traffic.

Worst of all is their customer service line which costs about £1.50/minute when you are trying to ask them why there systems are down!
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking to a supplier he has been told not to expect the HD Receiver until at least the end of January. Tomtom are keen to ensure there live devices sell up to and after christmas before bring the HD Receiver to the market.

Mabsey
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tomtom are keen to ensure there live devices sell up to and after Christmas before bring the HD Receiver to the market.

I'm not know for my business skills but how does that work? Surely they want to sell as many asap and surely the one way to do that is to sell it with the HD receiver? Personally I'd wait until after Xmas for the TT Go Live / HD Traffic Receiver bundles and save £10-20....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stated previously that TomTom have shelved plans to release the HD Traffic receiver here in the UK and possibly other countries that were due to get it. Why we don't know but they were quite clear on this.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, must have missed that. I'll get searching...

ETA: That'll teach me to start reading from the last page instead of page 1..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Is it just the standalone addon that's not being released? I assume the x40 Live range still comes with one?

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose they have to ensure that the people who are going to buy an x40 buy one.

They then can think about the people who have the "older" devices. I have a quick search now and again, and obviously there is probably nothing to read it into it, but if you go to Google and type in "HD Traffic Receiver" then there are 2 advertised future stockists, EasyDevices and Handtec, there were 2 a while ago and then the (way) more expensive one disappeared, so now it's back maybe it means it will become a reality one day, but I don't think we should hold our breath.

Seems a very strange marketing decision to withold it from so many when those many could improve the product, the more users the better the product becomes is the way I see it.

Also the increased revenue of all the x20 and x30 users who need it and will subscribe after purchase would be of a quite high monetary value.

But to be fair, even in my short time of interest in all things TomTom nothing will ever surprise me where they are concerned.

Cheers

Carl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they want to gauge the take up of the sub after the trial period expires on the x40's? I wouldn't pay £7.99 a month for the service as is, Speed Cameras are still dire, worse than TT's other service and that's not good!, HD traffic is OK but still not something you can rely on.

If take-up is poor on the x40's then there may be a compelling financial reason not to roll out the accessory receiver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: