Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
Have to say that although some of us may have acted /posted prematurely it speaks volumes that pretty much everyone's expected the worst of Tomtom.

Pretty much everyone? Nine people have made such comments in a thread that shows 1,054 views! Confused

Do you really think it's so wrong of TomTom to delay the release of an accessory or an upgrade for an existing device until a few weeks after the release of a new device that includes the facility? It seems like sound marketing strategy to me.
Samsung Galaxy S21
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably this update info from the TomTom web site should give hope:

Quote:
Version 8.010
(TomTom GO 530/730/930, GO 520/720/920, ONE 30-Series, XL 30-Series, ONE XL, ONE 3rd edition only)

Map Share support for Australia and New Zealand
USA Fuel Prices
TomTom HD Traffic Receiver support for devices listed above
Services available via HD Traffic Receiver:
HD Traffic (requires subscription)
Buddies
Weather
Weekly Safety Camera Updates (requires subscription)
QuickGPSFix
TomTom RDS-TMC Receiver (USB) support for GO 530/730/930
Minor improvements
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Substitute Dubious for Sound given the time scale between the introducton of the 930 and 940

dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
DinAlt wrote:
Have to say that although some of us may have acted /posted prematurely it speaks volumes that pretty much everyone's expected the worst of Tomtom.

Pretty much everyone? Nine people have made such comments in a thread that shows 1,054 views! Confused

Do you really think it's so wrong of TomTom to delay the release of an accessory or an upgrade for an existing device until a few weeks after the release of a new device that includes the facility? It seems like sound marketing strategy to me.

Anita

There is nothing wrong with delaying the release of the dongle. HOWEVER

1. TomTom have not - to the best of my knowledge - announced a delay. Infact they have said nothing and continueing today they will not confirm that it will be made available at all - only that they expect it to be available before Christmas

2. They made a statement on May 3 that the HD Traffic module would be avaialbe when the service is launched. The service HAS been launched but there is NO module. Again IF they had released a statement that this would change then fair enough I suppose - but they did not.

TomTom need to make a clear statement to avoid confuseion and anger and I am pushing hard to get this.

TOMTOM - If you are reading this - MAKE A STATEMENT to stop any rumours, confusion, anger or a heck of a lot of complaints and questions!
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i was expecting a staggered release by TomTom - catch the early adopters first then grab the rest of us - it wasn't until i read that they weren't intending to release the add on receiver at all that I became concerned.

The whole launch has been very badly handled from a logistics and PR point of view - very odd since they've had so much practice releasing incremental builds...

DinAlt
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
it wasn't until i read that they weren't intending to release the add on receiver at all that I became concerned.
DinAlt

I am not ware that they have said that they weren't intending to release it ?????

This is the problem - assumptions are being made. TomTom need to stop these assumptions and come clean
leonz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, the so called HD traffic receiver is just GSM modem, which is functionally identical to what's built into x40 series.

If I was tomtom, I'd be busy back porting LIVE features into software for x30 and x20 right now. The way they have positioned HD traffic as part of the LIVE bundle suggests with the additional HD traffic receiver, these older units should be able to use all the LIVE bundle services.

If Tomtom is not doing this, then tomtom's product management is not doing their jobs right.

It's more than likely their software development team has just been preoccupied with getting the software right for x40 launch. Given some time, they should turn their attention to port LIVE features into these older units.

I'd be willing to give tomtom the benefit of doubt here. My only complaint is about their market communication. They really should have clarified their position on support for older units together with the x40 launch press release.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to add something here..........I work for a software development company. Unfortunately, it is not the Development people who call the shots as a rule; it is the Marketing and Financial people who promise the moon and the stars without addressing the problem of providing the wherewithall to Development for additional developers or Development/Testing cycles to actually get the software created, tested and out the door.

Only at the last minute (figuratively) is it realized that the empty promises of Marketing can't be met .... and, as a consequence, items promised at a certain time aren't kept.

While I don't know that's the reason for the delay at TT, I'd like to think they would rather disappoint some now with a delay that everyone later if they did indeed roll out a crappy product -- both hardware/software speaking.

Remember Microsoft's delays in getting their Operating Systems out when they originally said they would? Trust me when I say it was the Marketing people giving the wrong (early) dates, not the actual people involved in Development.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought by now that people would have realise that when TT give an estimated date for a release of a (working) traffic accessory that they are always 3 to 6 months out!

After suffering the debacle of the original RDS-TMC receiver I personally would rather wait for TT to release a fully tested working HD receiver than some rush release botch like the original RDS-TMC.

Maybe they have learnt a valuable lesson, shame they just don't come out and clarify what is happening. I for one will buy one as soon as it is released and people on here confirm it actually works. I won't be buying a x40 as I have just subscribed to a years map updates on my 920!

Andy
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
After suffering the debacle of the original RDS-TMC receiver I personally would rather wait for TT to release a fully tested working HD receiver than some rush release botch like the original RDS-TMC.

Andy

The HD traffic module is already tested and working on the X20 and X30 range. It has been available in Holland for several months now. My 530 has already got the software updates - just waiting for that bit of hardware to plug into it!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but that is in Holland. The RDS-TMC worked fine everywhere else other than the UK.

I know the HD Traffic works on the x40 in the UK, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the HD Traffic will work fine on a x20/x30 with HD receiver in the UK. I am pretty sure it will though as the RDS-TMC problems were all signal strength related until Navcore 7 came out, which is an entirely different TT cock up. They were quite happily selling units that could not interpret the delay data and denied there was ever any fault.

My point was mainly about don't believe any release date TT announce as they are very rarely accurate.

No doubt if TT do decide to release the HD receiver in the UK they will want to cash in on x40 sales in the run up to Christmas first.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify if there are beta/test HD modules currently working in the UK?
Of course I'm not asking for anyone to compromise any NDA's, or for any usage experience or details etc. The only reason I ask is because if there ARE, I haven't seen any mention of them, unlike the x40 range.
I suspect this would also give us some idea as to Tom Tom's commitment to the accessory in the UK if there are/aren't beta/test modules working here.

I can't help but feel I was one of the first to perhaps start the mild hysteria of the "No HD accessory for UK" after Darren's original suspicion for which I apologise. That wasn't my intention. The fact the speculation/suspicion of it perhaps not being launched in the UK came from an experienced and trusted member was why it concerned me most of all.

As other has said, it makes good marketing sense for them to try and convert new customers with new devices firstly, then offer existing customers the accessory at a later date. However, with the current financial constraints, I think it would have made more sense to offer the HD module first to existing x20/x30 users at a way of demonstrating the capabilities of HD traffic and a chance for Tom Tom to show its commitment (however, I won' go as far as to say obligations) to continual development to those who have already bought into Tom Tom, and how an x40 is capable of the same yet more (the google search, fuel, and speed camera data etc) with this all being available as a single compact unit for the market they have yet to reach.

Personally, I think I'll hold off for the HD module and hope that some of those who buy the x40 range act as the final Beta testers for HD traffic Razz (only joking) before I get around to buying one.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Can anyone clarify if there are beta/test HD modules currently working in the UK?

You won't get an answer to that due to NDA from anyone with such a device, what I can say is that the only accessory traffic receivers I have used are the RDS-TMC ones.

As you know HD Traffic is working in the UK due to the release of the x40 devices, but the HD Traffic receiver accessory add on isn't currently available in the UK - Mike
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember Microsoft's delays in getting their Operating Systems out when they originally said they would? Trust me when I say it was the Marketing people giving the wrong (early) dates, not the actual people involved in Development.

Too Right. The problem as with most companies in this area is departments not talking to each other.
The board of any company in these situations instead of being too busy with bigger issues, need to instruct their downlines to "work as a unit" with all departments for the overall result for the product and company.
It seems most departments and individuals in companies these days are on a point scoring crusade to reach the top of the back slappers club with a disregard for the overall good of the Company.
Sort of like how the UK government work at present. Laughing Laughing
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a response from Tomtom Support to my query.
"This feature is only available on the x40 series of devices, can you confirm where it stated that you could purchase this as an add-on?"

While it is perfectly possible that the support people don't talk to the developers any more than the marketing people do, it does sound like they could be preparing to wriggle out of this

The support site is unavailable this weekend so I cannot respond yet.
I will quote the March 3rd press release.
Does anyone else have any further 'evidence' that I can use in my response?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: