Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database Piracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database Piracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is worried about hackers at work, perhaps one should be using the work computer for work, unless of course one is one of the corporate database users Very Happy Very Happy
binbags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: hacking/stealing the speed camera database Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
If one is worried about hackers at work, perhaps one should be using the work computer for work, unless of course one is one of the corporate database users Very Happy Very Happy

Hi

Simple question asked, simple answer received mmmmh !!!

My own pc used in my own time. The company has no objections to this as the pc gets used for my job most of the time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a serious lesson here for you and your company. A properly secured PC should not be vulnerable to such attacks and a company ought to have an IT policy that ensures network security. Allowing employees to use their own PC's on a company network is a recipe for disaster.

I ran an IT consultancy a number of times we were called in to clean company networks because someone had been allowed to connect their home laptop. If the IT policy had been in place and the network properly configured this would not have been an issue and they wouldn't have lost two or three days off-line and a considerable bill!

Ensure you have good up-to-date anti-virus on your PC, install as a minimum a software firewall and ensure it has all the updates (oh and please tell me this is not Win98!) and perhaps most importantly, use your brain, don't open email attachments you don't recognise and don't install software when prompted by a website unless you are darned sure it's legit and necessary!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binbags.
Mine was said in jest, as the smileys might have indicated, but Darren has made a good point of course.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original question was
Quote:
Is there any way of adding an extra password, once the database is installed on the gps? this would make it harder for those that hack into ones PC's at work.

The answer of course is yes. There are many freeware methods to achieve this. My favourite being Cryptainer.
The onus of protection always lies with the individual and one should never rely on anyone else.
If you really must access your accounts on someone else's PC, use Firefox protable, download to a pendrive, encrypt and lock with the above software and perform a full wash on that PC.
Personally, I wouldnt.
binbags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Re Database Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is a serious lesson here for you and your company. A properly secured PC should not be vulnerable to such attacks and a company ought to have an IT policy that ensures network security. Allowing employees to use their own PC's on a company network is a recipe for disaster.

I ran an IT consultancy a number of times we were called in to clean company networks because someone had been allowed to connect their home laptop. If the IT policy had been in place and the network properly configured this would not have been an issue and they wouldn't have lost two or three days off-line and a considerable bill!

Ensure you have good up-to-date anti-virus on your PC, install as a minimum a software firewall and ensure it has all the updates (oh and please tell me this is not Win98!) and perhaps most importantly, use your brain, don't open email attachments you don't recognise and don't install software when prompted by a website unless you are darned sure it's legit and necessary!

All of the box's are ticked in your last paragraph. I have a seventeen digit password to get onto the machine, I am not,not connected to the network, only via the adsl router and I do have permission. All this started out as a request for an answer to my first question, which was "can you provide a secondary password on the gps device? just for extra precaution.

So, we could all start again this would be grate : Smile Smile
binbags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: password Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
The original question was
Quote:
Is there any way of adding an extra password, once the database is installed on the gps? this would make it harder for those that hack into ones PC's at work.

The answer of course is yes. There are many freeware methods to achieve this. My favourite being Cryptainer.
The onus of protection always lies with the individual and one should never rely on anyone else.
If you really must access your accounts on someone else's PC, use Firefox protable, download to a pendrive, encrypt and lock with the above software and perform a full wash on that PC.
Personally, I wouldnt.

Thanks

I heed all of your warnings, the whole forum that is.

I wll have a look at what you have linked your reply to.

binbags
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Re Database Reply with quote

binbags wrote:
All of the box's are ticked in your last paragraph. I have a seventeen digit password to get onto the machine, I am not,not connected to the network, only via the adsl router and I do have permission.

Understood.
Quote:
All this started out as a request for an answer to my first question, which was "can you provide a secondary password on the gps device? just for extra precaution.

Some devices have the facility for a password, some don't.
Quote:
So, we could all start again this would be grate : Smile Smile

Hey were all friends here, it was constructive advice only Smile

Edited to correct quotation error

Last edited by Darren on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
binbags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Database Reply with quote

Hi

Wow, thought I was out in the cold Rolling Eyes , bad enough with the weather.

On my lunch now, so am not being a bad boy. The mozilla portable looks interesting, I will do this at home.

binbags
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit OT I know, but binbags, if you are thinking of getting portable Firefox as a first venture into portable progs, there are a number of others as well, many of which are free (one does a similar job to windows wash (?)). If you wanted something a bit more than just separate progs, you can get a U3 standard pendrive, which provides more structure, such as a menu, download new progs options, etc. A number of portable progs are as far as I know developed to work with this 'operating system'. I haven't used it a lot but it's quite handy.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than the U3, have a look at http://portableapps.com/. These are freeware and can be downloaded to any USB stick, rather than you having to buy a U3 blessed one.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True - I was suggesting both options in case binbags had a preference (even many of the "U3 blessed" ones are free, though the U3 stick obviously is a bit more expensive than a data-only one).
fordfocusmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading some of the messages on this topic, I am concerned that the speed cameras i am downloading from here are not correct.
I don't understand about fake versions are being uploaded.
How do i know the version i am downloading from here has all the correct cameras?
Also as for the lifetime memberships, i have submitted cameras on 3 occasions and i have never been awarded a lifetime membership, so how does this work. I have also asked about removing a mobile camera position which is not correct. But every download it still appears. I have lived next to the supposed mobile camera position for 10 years, and i have never ever seen 1 mobile camera there.
So i'm wondering why when you ask people to submit cameras or ask about removing cameras nothing seems to be done.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fordfocusmad wrote:
After reading some of the messages on this topic, I am concerned that the speed cameras i am downloading from here are not correct.
I don't understand about fake versions are being uploaded.
How do i know the version i am downloading from here has all the correct cameras?
Also as for the lifetime memberships, i have submitted cameras on 3 occasions and i have never been awarded a lifetime membership, so how does this work. I have also asked about removing a mobile camera position which is not correct. But every download it still appears. I have lived next to the supposed mobile camera position for 10 years, and i have never ever seen 1 mobile camera there.
So i'm wondering why when you ask people to submit cameras or ask about removing cameras nothing seems to be done.

The versions you download from here are correct and accurate as possible. It is versions from unauthorised sources that may or may not be accurate.

As for lifetime membership, you get this when you are the first person to submit a qualifying camera location or change. Mobile cameras require 2 unique sightings (2 different people need to submit it) and to be verified by one of the verifiers before it makes it to the full database. Even then if there is no 'seen again' submission within a year then the camera will be removed. There is the pMobile database though which includes mobile locations that have not been fully confirmed.
Do you have the details of the camera you say is invalid (camera number)? Remember it only needs to be seen at least once a year to be valid. It is always possible you are not around when it is there (at work, down the shops, watching tv and not looking outside etc)
fordfocusmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try and find the camera number and let you know
where they are saying the mobile camera is, cant now be correct as they are building new houses at that location.
I have reported it many times, but dosen't get removed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: