Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database Piracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database Piracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the name and shame thread with the last year's worth of thieves.

Bear in mind that for every one of these scumbags the database will have been distributed hundreds of times and you can get a feel for how badly this damages our business.

When we had the monthly sub we were getting a dozen of these a month so the move to annual only has at least stemmed the flood to a steady trickle.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than Ban these low lifes, why not continue to provide them with an alternate database, with just enough errors to make the fines stack up, but not enough to be noticeable.

By poluting the internet with bad copies, a valid subscription will become the easiest and quickest and only reliable way to get a reliable database.

Personally I would do this on the quite, to start with anyway.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Rather than Ban these low lifes, why not continue to provide them with an alternate database, with just enough errors to make the fines stack up, but not enough to be noticeable.

By poluting the internet with bad copies, a valid subscription will become the easiest and quickest and only reliable way to get a reliable database.

Personally I would do this on the quite, to start with anyway.

But then the PGPSW database would inevitably get a bad name for rubbish data Sad . People would then lose confidence in it. Not such a good result????
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something we do already do on a small scale by seeding 'tweaked' data via P2P and Torrent's but it's a double edged sword as has been pointed out and so we proceed with caution.

At the end of the day we realise that few of theses scumbags will ever subscribe so 'converting' them isn't really on the agenda, teaching them a lesson is though!
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I download my database from my Mac and sometimes from my PC whichever I am on at the time. I do hope this is not seen as pirating or misuse? I have occasionally had to download the file a couple of times too, due to mistakes I have made whilst using the mac to unzip the files.

I will get it right in the end.

Col
stevemlee566
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Copyright and the Law Reply with quote

It's a great world isn't it, when the Law protects the GUILTY and punishes the hard working. Twisted Evil

The Data Protection Act only protects and Individual if privy information is given out, therefore you could post their Avatar and their logo on name as long as none of this leads the personal information being given out. Not that this stops any of them, I have just had £3600 stolen off of my credit card and will never find oout who has done it because they are protected by the Data Protection Act, ooo makes me agnry.

Please, please do not submit to these idiots, ban, name, shame and hang them high from the yard arm...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes I download my database from my Mac and sometimes from my PC whichever I am on at the time. I do hope this is not seen as pirating or misuse?

Whilst you have a valid subscription you can download as many copies in as many formats as many times as you like. It's what you do with it after you have downloaded it that matters.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexuscol wrote:
Sometimes I download my database from my Mac and sometimes from my PC whichever I am on at the time. I do hope this is not seen as pirating or misuse?

Paul beat me to it but you can download it as many times as you wish, no issue there nor on how many machines you download it.

It's those who choose to pass it on that concern us, they may think they are doing a mate a favour but ultimately they risk their subscription in doing so.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Could you clarify use of database and subscription.

Am I correct in thinking that I read on the forum, if you have a subscription you may also install it on a spouse or partners Satnav, or has that now changed and you need a second subscription?

I ask as my 720 will be returned soon from TomTom (I hope so after 4 weeks away for repair!), and it is destined for my wife, so I am considering adding Speed cameras to the 720.
GO 920 Dead
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to 4 devices in the same household.

eg your tomtom, your wife's garmin, your son's magellan and your dog's navman would be fine.

however, your oldest daughter who moved out last year would need her own subscription.

(if this accurately describes your family then i need a new career as a clairvoyant!!)

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up the day job MaFt - his dog's got a MyGuide. It's a Guide dog. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud @ DennisN

MaFt, sorry to disappoint, but your day job is very safe, no garmin, no son or navman, but everything else is almost well......

My dog is still struggling with hands free and bluetooth connection on his 520, every time he is on the doggy chat line, the darn thing goes into a loop, and all he hears is Fifi the french poodle, repeatedly panting, and when that happens, poor chap, nevers seems to have energy for a walk in the evening, but has a big grin on his face - Laughing

Re: ken1414 - an interesting point of view! I must admit like others, I wonder if he has been banned in another guise, so has axe to grind!
GO 920 Dead
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved the post discussing the rights and wrongs of the database to here as it is off topic for this discussion.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It's something we do already do on a small scale by seeding 'tweaked' data via P2P and Censored but it's a double edged sword as has been pointed out and so we proceed with caution.

On at least two previous occasions this has produced quite comical posts from people describing camera icons that were incorrect and out of position by some considerable distance, I don't think many of the cameras were actually located on a road when the trash was created! Once they were asked where it had been obtained they soon shut up and moved on, but I doubt they will have subscribed as a result - Mike
binbags
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: password protection on the gps device Reply with quote

Hi
As a life member, I would like to keep it that way.

Is there any way of adding an extra password, once the database is installed on the gps? this would make it harder for those that hack into ones PC's at work.

binbags

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: