Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice needed...measure distance when cycling/jogging?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed...measure distance when cycling/jogging?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slicendice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Advice needed...measure distance when cycling/jogging? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, newbie here...!
I recently got a new PDA style phone with built in GPS (it's the TyTN II/Kaiser with Pocket PC, if you're interested! Smile ) and I'm wondering if/how I can use it to measure distance travelled.

I'm training for a triathlon so it would be really useful to be able to find out how far I have run/biked (I'll not use it for the swimming! Cool ), but I'm not sure what software I could use...? I have Google maps, but that is roads only, so when I'm off-road it isn't too useful.

I don't need anything fancy - pretty much the only thing I'd need it for would be to show distance travelled. I know there are pieces of software out there that do all kinds of things but most of it is overkill for what I want. Is this the kind of thing that there would be freeware/shareware for? Or would I have to buy some commercial piece of software that's got all kinds of extra stuff and just use the distance measuring part?

Thanks very much!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at GPS Speed Sentry which does contain quite an extensive logging capability, and you can download a trial version for free to try it out on your hardware prior to purchase, it doesn't cost much either.
Should you want to use it for swimming with have a look at the cases by OverBoard, they make a nice soft case for swimming with a PDA, waterproof to 6 meters and you can listen to music through the waterproof earphones while you are training. I will post up a picture of mine in use from yesterday while floating in a river. - Mike
Slogfester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Run.gps http://www.rungps.net/Wiki.jsp?page=HomeEN
geesss
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree. that's a good site
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After losing my Polar in the house somewhere I have been using Memory Map to record all my bike runs. It is fine for the MTB (good for navigating too) but it isn't that great for the road.

The lack of getting real av speeds etc was a bit of a pain. Also I don't use a mount on my road bike so I can't even see speed distance covered etc.

I then found this thread and found RunGPS. What an excellent bit of software. It give accurate actual ride times and averages and provides more info on your ascent etc. I especially like the fact I can stick my phone in my back pocket, connect an ear phone and a nice lady tells me how far I have gone, the time, av sp etc every ten minutes.

I am definately a leisure cyclist these days but this would have been an excellent bit of kit to have when I was racing.

Highly recommended.

Regards
SpeedTracker
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: SpeedTracker Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a marathoner. I am using for quite a while SpeedTracker during my training and long run event. This product help me a lot to follow my pace planning. Al your parformance date are saved in a database so you can replay and even follow your favourite track, no risk to get lost. With the ability to broadcast your data thru the net, my family could follow me. I was using GPS tuner before, but i really think that this utility is much more adapted.
One more thing, the installation is really a peace of cake, whith its GPS auto-connection capability, you don't even need to set the internal GPS COM connection.
But try it, i am sure yoou won't be desappointed.

Link : www.GPSpeedTracker.com or
www.pocketland.de/product.php?prod_id=35946&xsearch=speedtracker

User guide : www.pdassi.de/files/35946/SpeedTrackerUserGuide.pdf
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rungps.net is also my favorite - just getting into this though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: