Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Remember POI categories?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Remember POI categories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSoapsud
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Remember POI categories? Reply with quote

Hi,
Is there (or could there be) a way in which the site could remember which POI categories you were interested in, so that you could come back from time to time, download up-to-date copies of them and dump them on the box, without having to go through the list each time remembering all the bits you were interested in?

Just a thought...

Martin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea.

At the moment, because I do some fairly esoteric mixing and merging of categories to get what I want, I have to have a text file saved on my PC to remind me exactly what to download each time!

As I see it, the perfect solution would be to come to the normal selection page with your last selection still ticked, but so you can add and take away as normal. I wonder if it is possible?
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I too think this would be neat..

I tend to download and update my POI's on a regular basis and have written a basic batch script to handle it all..

I downlaod the POI's, Speed Camers etc and unzip them all into a single folder then just run the script to copy those I want to a LoadToSatNav folder/Group folders etc renaming as I go along as well and also clean up in my wake , which I then use as input to POILoader (For my Garmin)

Every so often I then go back through whats left and update the script for next time......

It would be great then if say something userid based could remember that you want CSV format, UK, box 1,3,5,6,7,8,9 etc ticked but guess you'll have to store everyones preferences in the database or a cookie etc....
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that would be a great idea as i guess mostly at what i want and mostly end up having to delete the 1's i don't need
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a simple Word document to keep a list of what POI I currently have installed and when it was updated. A bit time consuming, but works well for controlling the little blighters!

Evil or Very Mad That was until last night Evil or Very Mad

Our POI have now been given the suffix PGPSW which makes it easier for people to distinguish which supplier their POI have come from. I personally did not have a problem as I only use the best available, PGPSW!
I updated my out of date ones last night, but realised earlier today that I now have duplicates e.g. "Shell" and also "Shell PGPSW", so I have had to have a complete clear out and start again.

Ho Hum, such is life Crying

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
MrSoapsud
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's not just me then! It appears that it remembers your preference for which device type (unlike the safety camera page) but not the files themselves.

I guess one could script fetching the individual categories if there was a URL for them, but the site combines them into a zip file for you so you can't do that either...
gpsfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a way for this to be done via the program POI edit but the powers to be stopped that i think they should bring it back

heres proof http://poiedit.com/sites.htm
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsfox wrote:
there was a way for this to be done via the program POI edit but the powers to be stopped that i think they should bring it back

The "powers that be" didn't put a stop to the use of the POIEdit facility - they completely altered the way tht POIs were made available, allowing them to be updated, amended or deleted virtually on the fly. The "new" database is 100% better because it means that POI files don't have to be eleed to the public - the latest data is always available on the site.

Unfortunately, this increased flexibility meant that the new format wasn't suitable for POIEdit. It was a by-product of the new system, not a conscios decision to withdraw the facility.
gpsfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a copy of the script i use after downloading main categories

this needs to be saves as a .bat file (ie “copy.bat”)

@echo off
xcopy /Y /u "c:\POIS\POIs\*.csv" "c:\POIS\keep"

you can change the ,locations to suite your needs the first part is the source and the second and if u are a tom-tom user change the csv to ov2

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: