Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Alert Tones for TomTom Go 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Alert Tones for TomTom Go 500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur_Dent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Alert Tones for TomTom Go 500 Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

My first post so please be kind & understanding.

I have a TomTom Go 500 with GB & Europe Map (GB Plus).

I had an old data base of safety camera alerts (from this site I think before the subscription came in) installed on my Go and everything was fine (apart from the Big Ben "BONG" when there was a traffic light camera). The safety camera alert was a repeating "Bleep" sound.

I updated my old version of Home to the new 2.4 version and now the alerts for the speed cameras is the very annoying (& very loud) Big Ben sort-of "BONG" sound rather than the "Bleep" that I had.

I have tried & tried to find out where the link between the speed alert and the sound is so that I can change it back but with no success.

Have actually updated Home to latest 2.4.0.104 version this morning. I have also bought, downloaded & installed TomTom's latest safety camera data this morning on a 12-month sub.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me where:

1) the alert sounds are actually located on my Go (so that I can navigate to them either via TomTom Home or "My Computer" ?

2) to change the sound associated with the alert (so that all traffic camera alerts - safety camera and traffic light camera are my preferred "Bleep" rather than the "BONG").

3) to get hold of the software I need to do this if there are specifc file formats that need to be read and Notepad or Excel cannot read them.

Anything else that I need to know that I might have forgotten (the whole GPS/SatNav thing is a bit of a mystery - but then the TomTom and its software don't seem to be particularly user-friendly).

Please treat me as a complete idiot and tell me step-by-step exactly what I have to do (don't assume that I'll know common abbreviations that you use etc, please spell it out for me) I won't be offended!

Thank you in anticipation.

Art
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, go to TomTom Services/ TomTom Safety Cameras/ Change warning preferences. Pick the camera you want to alter and answer "No" to the "Remove Warning" screen, set the time for the warning to sound prior to the actual position. The next screen lets you pick the sound, if you don't like the selection you made answer o and pick another one. Repeat the above for each camera category installed.

The actual sounds are all stored in a single file in the root of the device called "data.chk" don't try messing around with this as it isn't too easy to alter the contents - Mike
Arthur_Dent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the swift reply Mike

EDIT: Problem with HTML tags!

Correct post below.

Last edited by Arthur_Dent on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthur_Dent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the swift reply Mike

Sorry to sound like a complete "noob" but how exactly do I navigate to the path you specified ie TomTom Services/ TomTom Safety Cameras/ Change warning preferences?

Where IS TomTom Services?

Art

This is not a double post. HTML tags don't seem to be working correctly and I keep getting an error message every time I post saying that I can't use HTML tags in my post even when I have removed them!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur_Dent wrote:

Art

On my 520, Tomtom services are on Main Menu, page 3 of 3.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find the options on the devicefrom the menu structure, I don't have the same hardware as you to be more specific as to which page etc.

HTML Tags are not allowed in the forum text that you post, so there is nothing wrong in what you are seeing, just don't use them Wink - Mike
Arthur_Dent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Arthur_Dent wrote:

Art

On my 520, Tomtom services are on Main Menu, page 3 of 3.
Cheers

This is on the actual TomTom right? I'm sorry to sound a bit dense - but I can't see services ANYWHERE!

The Go 500 is running software v 7.163

When I tap on the map screen, Menu 1 of 3 gives me "Navigate To", "Help Me" and "Change Preferences"

Tapping the right arrow I get

Menu 2 of 3 which gives me "Prepare Route", "Browse Map", "Map Corrections", "Add Favourite" and "Itinerary Planning"

Tapping the right arrow I get

Menu 3 of 3 which gives me "TomTom Traffic", "TomTom PLUS Services" and "TomTom Weather"

If I select "TomTom PLUS Services" on this screen I get: "TomTom Buddies" and "TomTom Safety Cameras"

If I select "TomTom Safety Cameras" on this screen I get: "Report Safety Camera", "Update Safety Cameras", "Change Warning Preferences", "Disable Alerts", "Enable Auto Updates" and "Disable Report Button"

The "Change Warning Preferences" seems the obvious one. If I select that I get a list of safety camera types. If I select one from the list I am asked if I want to remove the warning (I select "No") then I get a "Warn When Closer Than" which is now in seconds (it used to be set to 400 yards?) and then a bunch of sounds to choose from. Each time I select "Polite 3" as the sound an then OK it.

Will this have got rid of the tolling bell sound (which is Bell 1 I believe)?

Can't see any other way to change the sounds for the alerts.

Is there any way to remove "Bell 1" (and the other Bell sounds) from my Go?

Art

Last edited by Arthur_Dent on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthur_Dent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will find the options on the devicefrom the menu structure, I don't have the same hardware as you to be more specific as to which page etc.

HTML Tags are not allowed in the forum text that you post, so there is nothing wrong in what you are seeing, just don't use them Wink - Mike
Hi Mike,

That's what is puzzling me - I wasn't using any HTML tags and I kept getting the error!

I posted what I had wanted to say and then found that my previous post would then work - hence the rather cryptic "Problem with HTML tags! Correct post below"

Art
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are changing the sound associated with each Safety Camera when doing this, your menu is obviously slightly different to the devices I am using, but the same functionality is there.

As for HTML Tags, some keyboard symbols are identified as HTML code so the post gets stopped, the greater than/ less than signs being one such example - Mike
Arthur_Dent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As for HTML Tags, some keyboard symbols are identified as HTML code so the post gets stopped, the greater than/ less than signs being one such example - Mike
Thanks Mike.

Probably used greater than sign when asking about where to navigate to TomTom Services (as I usually do) Embarassed

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Are you as confident as you can be that I have now got rid of that bl**dy annoying "BONG"??

Cheers

Art
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur_Dent wrote:
Are you as confident as you can be that I have now got rid of that bl**dy annoying "BONG"??
Probably around 99,9% sure it will do what you want, just make sure you re-configure each speed camera category otherwise you might still get the occasional bong - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder whether you guys are at crossed purposes (or it could be me).Are you referring to the PGPSW cameras or TT's own?

If it is PGPSW cameras (that is what i read from your first post) these are managed through Manage POIs, which, for x00 units is found in the change preferences menu. If it is TT's own then these are managed through the TT PLus/TTsafety cameras menu.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Alert Tones for TomTom Go 500 Reply with quote

Arthur_Dent wrote:
I have also bought, downloaded & installed TomTom's latest safety camera data this morning on a 12-month sub

Peter, the above quote made me think this was for the TomTom Safety Cameras rather than the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera database,.

I know which I trust and prefer to use, but each to their own. When the 12 months are up or you find the database you have installed is inadequate perhaps you should consider the subscription to this site and make use of the better database and more customised set up with true spoken alerts and more configurability - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

doh ...... I did not notice that, just the reference to the old PGPSW database further up the post. Embarassed
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: