Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigate via?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigate via?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meddyliol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Navigate via? Reply with quote

I have a TomTom One XL and was wondering if it is possible to navigate to a destination via more than one location. It appears that if I want to go in a particular route it only gives me the option of travelling via one address/POI etc. I had a Navman iCN 510 which I didn't particularly like but it did give me the option of travelling via several points. I know that the TomTom has an Itinery planning facility but you have to travel to the various points and then start again from that point (does this make sense?). I like this satnav but this seems to be a negative point. Unless of course someone can prove me wrong.

Thanks

Brian Cool
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do this you need to use the 'Itinerary Planning' Option that allows a route to be calculated with one or more 'via's'.

However, Itinerary is not an option on all TomTom's and some ONE models do not have it.

Do you have an 'Itinerary Planning' option in the menu?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

meddyliol wrote:
I know that the TomTom has an Itinery planning facility but you have to travel to the various points and then start again from that point (does this make sense?).
It will do that if each location is marked as a Destination.

You have to highlight each waypoint and then select Mark as waypoint. Obviously leaving the final point as a Destination.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
meddyliol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as my query states, I do have itinerary Planning, I have tried as 'oldboy' suggests and it does work.Thanks a lot for that.

Brian Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
You have to highlight each waypoint and then select Mark as waypoint. Obviously leaving the final point as a Destination.
Just a quickie - if you highlight the first one as soon as you create it and mark as a waypoint, all the subsequent ones will be added as waypoints, then you only need to highlight the last one and change it to Destination.

Incidentally, in the past (previous App and Map versions - I now have v8) the waypoint itinerary was sometimes unreliable. I did find that it would sometimes feel quite happy that it had been to a waypoint if it got within a reasonable distance of it. I had an occasion when it bypassed a village by a good half mile!! That might have been when using a "city centre" as a waypoint? Anyway, today I set up an itinerary with a dozen waypoints all in Cardiff, one of which was southbound at a junction on a dual carriageway. My route actually took me east/west across the junction, to the next right turn and right again to take me round in a circuit to visit that waypoint, which I could see a few yards away as I passed it going across the junction (still not having visited it). The itinerary function took me right to every single waypoint.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just a quickie - if you highlight the first one as soon as you create it and mark as a waypoint, all the subsequent ones will be added as waypoints, then you only need to highlight the last one and change it to Destination.

Neat tip Dennis, thanks.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
Quite right Dennis.

I didn't mention that point, in this case, as he had already got his list of waypoints.

alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Incidentally, in the past (previous App and Map versions - I now have v8) the waypoint itinerary was sometimes unreliable. I did find that it would sometimes feel quite happy that it had been to a waypoint if it got within a reasonable distance of it. I had an occasion when it bypassed a village by a good half mile!! That might have been when using a "city centre" as a waypoint? Anyway, today I set up an itinerary with a dozen waypoints all in Cardiff, one of which was southbound at a junction on a dual carriageway. My route actually took me east/west across the junction, to the next right turn and right again to take me round in a circuit to visit that waypoint, which I could see a few yards away as I passed it going across the junction (still not having visited it). The itinerary function took me right to every single waypoint.

I agree. The current itinerary function has definitely been changed and, in my view, improved. Skip next waypoint would be very useful for occaisions where you have positioned the waypoint slightly wrong. I cannot get Skipwaypoint from Webazar to work on v8 (although other 3rd party does work).

Quote edited for clarity - Oldboy

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Skip next waypoint would be very useful for occaisions where you have positioned the waypoint slightly wrong. I cannot get Skipwaypoint from Webazar to work on v8 (although other 3rd party does work).
In the TT Itinerary Menu you have the Mark 'visited' Option which will skip all waypoints up to the one selected.

alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
alanji wrote:
Skip next waypoint would be very useful for occaisions where you have positioned the waypoint slightly wrong. I cannot get Skipwaypoint from Webazar to work on v8 (although other 3rd party does work).
In the TT Itinerary Menu you have the Mark 'visited' Option which will skip all waypoints up to the one selected.

True, but a bit longwinded.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a concise answer I thought.... Wink
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Only 3 screen taps, and a Done. Rolling Eyes

alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
alanji wrote:
Only 3 screen taps, and a Done. Rolling Eyes

You obviously have a different PND than me. I have
Tap screen
Next page arrow
Next page arrow
Itinerary planning
Next waypoint
Mark visited
Done
Yes

That makes 8 altogether - a lot if you are driving and your remote has stopped working (as mine has).

Mind you I do not how many taps the Webazar option took as I have not had it working.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Navigate via? Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
That makes 8 altogether - a lot if you are driving and your remote has stopped working (as mine has).
Point taken.

I have to admit to writing my comment without checking from the Map Screen, Embarassed
and was counting the steps from the Itinerary Screen. Rolling Eyes

meddyliol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brilliant set of answers. Again, thanks a very very lot (not good grammer I know).

Cheers me dears

Brian Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: