Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M1 AVG Speed Cams Confusion!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M1 AVG Speed Cams Confusion!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: M1 AVG Speed Cams Confusion!! Reply with quote

hey all, i'm a little confused with regards to the avg spped cams workings! Take for instance on the M1 between J25 -J28 there are avg speed cams with a 50mile limit. Now having travelled up and down a fair number of times i can't believe how many people shoot past going at least 60 or 70!!! I do notice that during the day cars do tend to go slower but no where near 50!! If i'm doing 50 how the heck are you going to overtake me and leave me behind while still doing 50??!! At night i see that the cars tend to go faster though! So what am i missing here? Same thing goes for the avg cams from Luton to the M25 junction.....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not missing anything. It's simply evidence of the appalling ignorance of your average motorist who has no idea what an average speed camera is nor how it works.

They soon will though when they get the NIP in the post Evil or Very Mad
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, do Specs cameras work in the dark. With no visible light to illuminate the reflective surface of the front number plate, can they still read it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they all have iR illuminators so can work just as effectively in the pitch dark.
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ok i thought that maybe at night when there is no work going on maybe then you don't get issued a ticket! I'm sure iread somewhere in these forums that its to costly for them to switch of cameras when no work is going so instaed that just don't issue tickets during certain times of the evening........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember ever reading that in THIS forum!

As far as I know, they are live all the time.
Also they have CLOSED the loophole which was widely reported that if you changed lanes they couldn't prosecute. The "type approval has now been updated to allow this.
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok maybe i read it somwhere else then! Just fail to see that majority of drivers then are flauting the speed limits! What shocks me even more is that i get overtaken by lorries and worse cabbies!! I've always thought if there's someone reliable to tailgate it would be a lorry as these guys view thier licences is irreplaceable!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
What shocks me even more is that i get overtaken by lorries

I wonder if most of these are 'Johnny Foreigner' who tend not to give a toss about our rules of the road, let alone the law. Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
hmm ok i thought that maybe at night when there is no work going on maybe then you don't get issued a ticket! I'm sure iread somewhere in these forums that its to costly for them to switch of cameras when no work is going so instaed that just don't issue tickets during certain times of the evening........

Wholly untrue, anyone who thinks they'll get away with it is looking at a very expensive lesson!
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all SPECS cameras active though? I strongly suspect that many are there as a tool to persuade "most" drivers to slow down. Only SPECs installers, the roadworks contractors and DFT know which are real and which are dummies.

Does anyone know anybody that has received a ticket from their local SPECs cameras? There are none near me to do such a survey of my friends/neighbours but within the audience on these forums we must have some evidence of whether tickets have been received and from which SPECs cameras.

Another point on SPECS, wouldnt it be useful to know whether the SPEC camera is the last of a series with a different announcement? Probably not within the philosophy of the database though. Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcs17_tim wrote:

Another point on SPECS, wouldnt it be useful to know whether the SPEC camera is the last of a series with a different announcement? Probably not within the philosophy of the database though. Wink

They are logged in the database as "Start", "Intermediate" and "End" cameras. It's down to the individual satnav brand/model as to whether it can easily use the info though.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

They are logged in the database as "Start", "Intermediate" and "End" cameras. It's down to the individual satnav brand/model as to whether it can easily use the info though.

which at the moment is limited to drivesmart only...

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another point on SPECS, wouldnt it be useful to know whether the SPEC camera is the last of a series with a different announcement? Probably not within the philosophy of the database though.

I have a pair of Mark 1 EyeBall units which tell me this information.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcs17_tim wrote:

Nor the capabilities of almost all devices.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcs17_tim wrote:
Are all SPECS cameras active though? I strongly suspect that many are there as a tool to persuade "most" drivers to slow down. Only SPECs installers, the roadworks contractors and DFT know which are real and which are dummies.
Personal guesswork only. I think they're all active - they take a fair amount of effort/cost to erect and are mostly there only for a limited time (roadworks). Being digital, there's no issue of running out of film. It wouldn't make sense to pay to erect dummies. They don't seem to erect shedloads of them, only about enough to start, a couple of intermediate and end ones.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: